WiFi drops/crashes on DIR-859

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Rootnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 22:14    Post subject: WiFi drops/crashes on DIR-859 Reply with quote
I'm having issues with my DIR-859. I installed DD-WRT (reset, upload dd-wrt firmware, upload update through dd-wrt)

It's randomly crashing multiple times a day, sometimes only the wifi light goes off, sometimes the Internet light too, sometimes the router as a whole crashes. Often wifi stops, then restart, so devices just have to reconnect after a few seconds. But often there's just no Internet access until router is reset. Requires regular reboot.

I'm on build DD-WRT v3.0-r32753 std

The only settings I got is pretty much a DHCP reservation/port forwarding for gaming.

Syslog looks like this:
https://pastebin.com/YaJ1QEgA

Something weird with the most recent log lines where date switches to January 1 and time of day countds downward...

Kinda desperate to get this thing working, useless for gaming if connection keeps randomly dropping.

Any help appreciated
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
looks like out of ram, disable 5ghz radio and run with 2.4ghz only, see what happens after 1 or 2 days (free ram on status page should go way up, & update to latest build it gives more detailed crash logs, see link below in red)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Rootnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks.

I've disabled 5 Ghz, although ideally having both would be good.

I also installed the r33006 "Beta" for the DIR-859. Hope more detailed logs give more details.

Quite possible that there's not enough ram... there's 2 computers and 4 cellphones connected to the router. Perhaps DD-WRT just takes too much ram compared to original software or some settings are too high with dd-wrt? I've never really messed with a router before.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
the qca9880 radio chip that emits the 5ghz takes alot of ram to operate, it has some starvation issue, most that have that radio in it have 128mb+, my dir-862L easily uses over 80mb ram & 3/4 of that is from that radio alone

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Deltabongo2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I own a DIR-859 and disabling the 5Ghz radio should make a huge difference. Before I disabled the 5Ghz radio, I was experiencing issues similar to what you're seeing.

I also switched my WAN config from PPPoE to a static IP at the same time I disabled the 5Ghz radio several months ago and the router is pretty solid now. I'm on 32170 and it ran for over 65 days before I needed to reboot it.

Maybe the qca9880 firmware will improve to the point that it won't use as much RAM, allowing it to be used on a 64MB router.
Rootnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well it seems more stable (not crashing) but maybe I should only have disabled the 5Ghz and not installed the latest beta firmware.

I get a DNS not found for any new address I visit in Chrome for about 2 or 3 seconds before page actually loads. Which is kinda weird since it used to be instant. Definitely a long enough delay to be irritating.
Rootnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I'm on r33006 now... no more crashes/wifi drop.

But whenever I load webpages now it says:
Quote:
This site can’t be reached

example.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

It will stay like this for a few seconds and reload, or I'll have to reload manually for pages to actually load. Anyone got any idea why that could be? It's almost more annoying than crashes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: