Extend Network - Physical Interface(client) and virtual host

2jzpower
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 15:07    Post subject: Extend Network - Physical Interface(client) and virtual host Reply with quote
I have a buffalo 300N router that I have used for over 3 years but lately I have been having issues with it, it needs restarted almost daily.

What I am doing is extending my internet connection from my house to my garage which is about 150-175 yards away. I installed a YAGI antenna and this has worked well.

When I setup the DD-WRT on the 300N I always used client mode for the physical host and it worked fine, and then made my virtual network name "GARAGE". This has always worked until I recently had issue and bought a new router.

So I bought a Netgear AC1900 to replace the buffalo router, but when I try and set up DD-WRT the same way it doesn't give me an option to add a virtual host when I set it up as client physical interface. So after researching this, I found that I should be using the "Repeater Bridge" mode, which i setup, matching the main router IP.

The main router gateway is 192.168.10.1 and is setup with DHCP for 150 clients starting at .50 - So on my AC1900 secondary router I set the IP to 192.168.10.2 (this is my first question... should i be within the range aka 192.168.10.150 for my secondary router?)

When I set this up I initially had the router up at my house, without the YAGI antenna connected since I am close to the main router. I tested this and it all worked, however, when I shut it off, and brought it down to the garage it will not work. So I thought, ok, maybe it lost it configuration... And i setup the connection again down from here, I can see my home router in the site survey and it will connect... but when i apply the settings it seems to almost brick the router, and I have to reset it to factory defaults.

So, my question is... is there a router I can get that will allow me to use the same setup as the Buffalo 300N since I know that works, or can anyone see maybe what I am doing wrong with my AC1900 before i return it since I cannot seem to get it working properly.

thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 10.54.24 AM.png
 Description:
This is my Buffalo 300N config, which works but the router is failing now and needs constantly restarted.
 Filesize:  60.16 KB
 Viewed:  1538 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 10.54.24 AM.png

Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: