dd-wrt'ed router acting as a switch behind another router

Goto page 1, 2  Next
sspeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 23:01    Post subject: dd-wrt'ed router acting as a switch behind another router Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a DD-WRT firmwared router acting as a switch behind another router. The two are hardwired together right now and all is working fine.

On the Setup > Advanced Routing page I have the router set to RIP2 router and the Dynamic Interface set to LAN & VLAN. Is this correct?

For Operating mode I have BGP, Gateway, RIP2 router, and OSPF router.

For Dynamic Interface I had it set to LAN & VLAN since I assumed the other router is controlling the WAN functions?

I can't really find all that much about what these settings really mean, can someone enlighten?
Sponsor
sspeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone? Bueller?
mr.mindspin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the dd-wrt forum, where you'll find lots of questions and very little answers. Like mine. Sorry dude.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
search wiki for linking routers, you likely want switch mode.

Questions without answers are the result of one of two things, ether no one with a particular experience has got on the board to answer your question. or the answer is readily available with a little research.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
sspeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, I saw the article on linking routers, that seemed to deal more with linking them in a wireless fashion and didn't cover any of the dynamic routing stuff.

There is this article
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switch

But that doesn't cover the dynamic routing either, am I just not finding it?
mr.mindspin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:

Questions without answers are the result of one of two things, ether no one with a particular experience has got on the board to answer your question. or the answer is readily available with a little research.
I would kind of disagree with this. I searched pretty diligently for an answer to "wireless performance". Yes I saw a lot of "read the forum" and "READ THIS FIRST" type of responses, but not a single answer. I even joined the forum just to try to find the answer to wireless speed performance and have found nada. Maybe that's just my experience though.
Borage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
sspeed wrote:
But that doesn't cover the dynamic routing either, am I just not finding it?

Do you have a very complicated home network with hundreds of routers/networks? :)

By the way, Cisco CCNA and CCNP courses covers all those routing protocols. It takes a month of full time studying, and usually cost around 12 000 USD.
sspeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ha ha, no... that's why I'm wondering if I can just shut off the dynamic routing or what do I do with it, and what the heck RIP2 vs the others are?

Right now it all seems to work good as it's presently set up, although one computer behind the second router sometimes seems like it's unavailable for file sharing.
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr.mindspin wrote:
Dark_Shadow wrote:

I would kind of disagree with this. I searched pretty diligently for an answer to "wireless performance". Yes I saw a lot of "read the forum" and "READ THIS FIRST" type of responses, but not a single answer. I even joined the forum just to try to find the answer to wireless speed performance and have found nada. Maybe that's just my experience though.

Most questions go un-answered because the question lacks detail..

this thread for instance.. There is no detail.. there is no question. I don't believe anyone can tell by the 1st post what the question is, or what the goal is.

All we know is that there is a router acting as a switch connected to another router. There is talk of dynamic routing.. why is this needed.. what is the setup that requires it.

Posts or questions like this thread go un-answered because the reply can only be another question.

BTW.. can any body tell me what is the best router and build combination these days?

Thoughts?
Any Ideas?

TIA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
HardReset wrote:

Most questions go un-answered because the question lacks detail..

this thread for instance.. There is no detail.. there is no question. I don't believe anyone can tell by the 1st post what the question is, or what the goal is.

All we know is that there is a router acting as a switch connected to another router. There is talk of dynamic routing.. why is this needed.. what is the setup that requires it.

Posts or questions like this thread go un-answered because the reply can only be another question.

TIA

Not to sound like an ass, but I don't think my thread lacks detail in any sort of way. I explained the configuration, explained the current settings, explained the possible options I had, and simply asked what the configurations I mentioned were and where I could even find info on if they were appropriate for my configuration. I have them on the router defaults presently and they don't appear to be needed.

I don't think that's vague or lacking in detail at all.... How could I have made it better?
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=237441&highlight=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Gateway_Protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing_Information_Protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Shortest_Path_First

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 20:55    Post subject: Re: dd-wrt'ed router acting as a switch behind another route Reply with quote
sspeed wrote:
Hi,

I have a DD-WRT firmwared router acting as a switch behind another router. The two are hardwired together right now and all is working fine.

On the Setup > Advanced Routing page I have the router set to RIP2 router and the Dynamic Interface set to LAN & VLAN. Is this correct?

For Operating mode I have BGP, Gateway, RIP2 router, and OSPF router.

For Dynamic Interface I had it set to LAN & VLAN since I assumed the other router is controlling the WAN functions?

I can't really find all that much about what these settings really mean, can someone enlighten?

This doesn't really answer your question but when you set the router up as a switch then none of those settings matter anyhow!

BS releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Eko releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/
sspeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 21:04    Post subject: Re: dd-wrt'ed router acting as a switch behind another route Reply with quote
steveg1701 wrote:

This doesn't really answer your question but when you set the router up as a switch then none of those settings matter anyhow!

THANK YOU! I guess since it's all working fine I'll just leave it as is and not question it, or maybe shut the dynamic interface off, although that was a default is why I just left it.

Wanting to simply use it as a switch and having BGP, Gateway, RIP2 router, and OSPF router as my options I just wanted to be sure I had it right.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad you got it working.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
mr.mindspin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
HardReset wrote:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=237441&highlight=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Gateway_Protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing_Information_Protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Shortest_Path_First

Ah, the classic RTFM. So very helpful.
BTW, you want to answer a fairly detailed problem? Answer this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70023
I await the answer.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: