Security Camera setup *Edit*

countrytundra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:13    Post subject: Security Camera setup *Edit* Reply with quote
Okay, so I am running a Linksys 1200AC with the Latest Kongmv v3.0-r33570M. I am trying to setup my home security camera system so that I can access it from my android/apple phones.

Before DD WRT and VPN, the installers simply opened up 3 ports on my camera DVR and the same 3 ports on my router and broadcast out my WAN ip address. On the cell phone app, I simply provided my WAN IP and login credentials and was able to see the cameras.

I never felt secure with the initial setup and so decided to flash my router with DD WRT and get myself a VPN from IPVanish.

I guess what I am searching for is a fairly simple yet secure way to setup my router so that only my cell phone/phone app, can access the live feed from my camera system/DVR. I am not sure if i need to forward a port, create a bridge, setup an interface for the cameras, or what.

Any help form the community on how to best set this up would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind, I am not a coder and new to the DD WRT world. Actually, im rather green to all this networking, security, setup stuff. I took some general networking classes in collage but that's been almost two decades and I don't remember any of it.

*** My network consist of: a static IP from my ISP, only one router.***

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, its not advised to open ports and leave WAN open...
some IP cameras even spam the network with high rate of UDP or TCP messages going out to unknown IP, but it varies to the brand...
the most secure way is to lock all the ip cams within the local network and not let them go on the WAN side, but then you wont be able to access them from (WAN) outside your local network... the other way is to secure them with VPN as jxm said...

if you want to lock them only for local use paste those lines in administration>commands>save firewall script...

iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o $(nvram get wan_iface) -p tcp -s ip of camera -j DROP

do keep in mind to add static IP for cams and add it to those lines, also make sure they use br0 or any other br they are put on than you will be able to access your cam's when you are logged in to your network..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
countrytundra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys.

Let me clarify a few things regarding the cameras. The camera system is a 16 channel CCTV camera/DVR unit. So the various cameras are connected directly to the DVR for recording, storing and playback. I can currently view them from within my network only.

I would like to maybe set it up so that only two or three IP's or MAC's are allowed to access the feed. I just do now if I need to use some sort of Virtual interface, port forwarding, a bridge, or something completely different.

Thanks for the responses. Very Happy
jordancaver123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are some different types of home security camera setups that you can select from, depending on the type of home and of course your security requirements. They can be installed inside as well as on the perimeter of your home. You can choose for the small camera, which is very helpful in monitoring the equipment that happens inside the house. Security cameras in Vancouver are a necessary part of security systems. Proper installation and choice right equipment, plays a huge role in performance.
Main problems that may occur during setup of such systems:
* Improper installation of security cameras;
* Camera incorrect location;
* Poor quality products.
Thanks & Regards,
Jordan Caver
Home Theater Vancouver
Home Theater Toronto
JohnyWalter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is amazing guys.
Thanks you for that topic,finally I set up my camera. Thank you and your advice.Very help full to me!
Jon Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: