D-Link 868L Rev B and WDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
baggywrinkle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 17:32    Post subject: D-Link 868L Rev B and WDS Reply with quote
I am trying to get WDS running on a pair of D-Link 868L, both HW revision B.

I am using the latest code v3.0-r34411 std (01/07/1Cool.

I can get this running from a fresh default configuration. However as soon as I start to configure it into my environment, using a 10.x.x.x range, change the SSID from default DD-WRT and change to WDS2 it stops working.

I had it working following a factory reset, so I do know it will work managed this multiple times. But as I stated I gradually change things, reboots after each small change and noting. I have changed:

SSID; Network Mode (AC-Only); Channel Width (80Mhz); Extension Channel (lower, upper); Channel (136), WPA2, MSTP (on). All was OK, then started doc change IP address, DNS servers, etc and it stops working. Checked, double checked and triple checked everything.

I end up with one reporting the WDS Node as available on the Status; Wireless page, and the other showing no signal. Reboot and power cycle and they can swap roles.

I am new to DD-WRT and the tools, so nots are how too bug and look at what is wrong. Any help or guidance welcome. I have followed all the numerous guides on the internet for Broadcom based WDS and just can't get it back working.
Sponsor
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
So using default settings and IP addresses on the main host router work?
baggywrinkle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
FurryNutz wrote:
So using default settings and IP addresses on the main host router work?

That is correct. Earlier today, all working fine. WPA2 configured, MSTP running ping between the two devices for a few hours. Started to change the IP addresses, DNS, NTP and stopped and now in the state depicted below.

No traffic flowing over the WDS link.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 21.43.50.png
 Description:
State of the two routers
 Filesize:  229.97 KB
 Viewed:  5271 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 21.43.50.png

baggywrinkle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please note there is a mistake from my testing, the screen shots show two different SSID's. Changed one so that the SSID was "Baggywrinkle Backhaul" on both and still not working, one shows signal and the other doesn't. They are no more than 10m apart
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I know that if you turn OFF the WDS bridged unit. Then change just the IP address of the main host router to what you want. Lets leave DNS and NTP along for right now. After changing the host routers IP address, save apply and reboot and IP addresses are still accessible there using a test client, both wired and wireless should be good.

If good, then I would turn on the WDS bridge, it should connect to the specified SSID name from the main host router and connect to that SSID Name. It should acquire the new IP address string coming from the main host router and be assigned something for the WDS bridge unit. Nothing on the WDS unit should be configured for any IP address, DNS or NTP. It should automatically get all that from the main host router.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 22:51    Post subject: WDS Reply with quote
What do you mean changed it to WDS2?

Did you follow the Broadcom section in the wiki: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network#Broadcom_Based_Devices

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
baggywrinkle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12    Post subject: Re: WDS Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:

Did you follow the Broadcom section in the wiki: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network#Broadcom_Based_Devices

Yes I did. As I say it works with two standalone 868L's, one as the main router and one as the WDS client (Second router). However as soon as I change the IP configuration of both, they stop connecting.

Nots sure what or why they just stop connecting, and can't find any logs to give some idea.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 13:42    Post subject: IP Config Reply with quote
I would change the IP address before changing any other settings. Then setup WDS.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 16:06    Post subject: Re: WDS Reply with quote
Your breaking the WDS unit by changing it's configuration.
Don't change the configuration on a WDS unit. It gets it's address configuration from the main host router. Change the configuration on the main host router first.
Then just connect the WDS unit to the main host router and leave it.

baggywrinkle wrote:
ian5142 wrote:

Yes I did. As I say it works with two standalone 868L's, one as the main router and one as the WDS client (Second router). However as soon as I change the IP configuration of both, they stop connecting.

Nots sure what or why they just stop connecting, and can't find any logs to give some idea.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 16:28    Post subject: WDS Reply with quote
The WDS client does not get its address from the WDS AP, it is set by the WDS client itself, it must be in the same subnet as the WDS AP though.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 16:43    Post subject: Re: WDS Reply with quote
Roger that.

ian5142 wrote:
The WDS client does not get its address from the WDS AP, it is set by the WDS client itself, it must be in the same subnet as the WDS AP though.
baggywrinkle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, configured a static route on both units.
baggywrinkle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, Played around with it today, and sort of got it working. But not reliable.

It seems that the Wireless Security and WPA2 stops the devices from connecting properly. That said, even with WPA2 turned off, I can get them to connect reliable, but more reliable than with WPA2 on. From what I have read it should work. Have checked and double checked the key and it is correct as a standard client can connect.

I have however had stability issues. As soon as I put any load on it the two routers say they are connected, but no traffic flows.

Also the GUI never reports through the status; wireless screen any RX packets, yet running the command "wl -i wds1.1 pktpcnt" does show RX. TX packet count in the GUI does increase. Even a tcpdump -i wds1.1 only shows transmit traffic and no receive, but traffic is certainly flowing through the wireless and was link.

I have also had both routers stop reporting the 5Ghz interface as being their within the web interface. Again the command line shows everything their. A reboot fixes this.

Seems that something isn't quiet right, and nots are if it is hardware or software. Are there any logs or debuting that can be turned on.

Many Thanks
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
baggywrinkle wrote:
. Even a tcpdump -i wds1.1 only shows transmit traffic and no receive, but traffic is certainly flowing through the wireless and was link.

I see the same symptoms with my builds as well, so I think it’s not related to your issues.

Since recent builds, tcpdump only shows egress packets if a specific interface is specified. If you use tcpdump -i any, you’ll see ingress and egress packets, but you get flooded with all interfaces’ traffic and need to filter. I think this is related to kernel patches. I don’t see this with my R7800 running lede also on 4.4.110 kernel, so I guess it’s specific to the DD-wrt kernel.

Anyone else see the same thing with BS or Kong’s recent builds?
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 22:55    Post subject: Keep Alive Reply with quote
Set up a Keep Alive (Connection Watchdog).
Set the WDS Station (the secondary router) to reboot every 300 or 1000 seconds. Use the ip of the main router in the blank. (Admin - Keep Alive tab).

As for stability, I have no idea. I use WDS on the Atheros side where it has been very stable for me. Pain in the butt to setup but it does work well.

I do put all of my MACs in each other's WDS MAC table, with the LAN option (Wireless - WL0 tab). Change the disable to LAN, then put in the wireless MAC of the other router. Then put in some human recognizable name (I usually use the name of the router). Click Apply.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: