Not able to flash dd-wrt to the new Linksys wrt3200acm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sticking to my guns here and blaming Norton. Nuke it from orbit; uninstall and it will probably ask for reboot. When it's completely removed from the system, ensure that Windows Defender and Firewall are both disabled.
Sponsor
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
But how do you explain that I was able to successfully install DD-WRT firmware on my Linksys router WRT1900ACS even though I had Norton and use the Chrome browser?

Now it's a WRT3200ACM and I can't install the DD-WRT firmware.

If I have to use a USB-TTL cable, will the warranty on the router expire as I would have to open the WRT3200ACM case?

Would this cable be right ?: https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/19555/fhrgm/Raspberry-Pi-USB-TTL-kaapeli-1-0-m
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
The image filename extensions are different. Or maybe Norton's real-time detection doesn't like something in the contents of the binary image.

All I know is you are having the same experience with two computers and Norton is present in both environments.

It's time to remove Norton and any security software from the equation completely, then make sure Windows equivalent services are also disabled afterwards as Norton is likely to enable them for you during uninstall (defender, firewall).

Be sure to be connected directly to a LAN port on the router.

You will want to be physically disconnected from the WAN port while doing this stuff.

As for that cable, it should work but I'm not sure about the chipset included or its drivers.

Last edited by blkt on Sat Dec 14, 2019 22:53; edited 1 time in total
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay. I'm going to try this now and I'll tell you how it happened to me.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I completely uninstalled Norton Security software from my computer and also disabled Windows Firewall and Anti-virus protection. Then I downloaded the r34411 DD-WRT software. I tried installing DD-WRT firmware with waterfox browser but I was not lucky this time and DD-WRT installation failed Sad I also removed the WAN cable and switched only the LAN1 port on my computer.

The WRT3200ACM would be very nice to me and a good router as long as the DD-WRT got somehow installed.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try flashing official Linksys firmware once. Then try a DD-WRT build.

Maybe try a different Ethernet cable or a different LAN port. I'm running out of ideas.

Is your network adapter set to obtain addresses automatically?

Have you tried disabling wireless adapters to ensure the flash goes through the Ethernet cable?
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT firmware installation just does not work and I'm quite sad because I do not succeed in this Sad

What should I try next? What can this failure be when I fail? Sad
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've mentioned everything I can think of and I'm not sure what you haven't tried yet.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried everything possible not only to USB-TTL cable. I don't have a USB TTL cable but I can get one.

WRT3200ACM router has a completely new and I bought it this week on Friday. The warranty will probably lapse if I open the WRT3200ACM case. So, is it that the warranty expires?

Nor is it certain that the DD-WRT installation will be successful with the USB-TTL serial cable. If it didn't work out, then I could no longer return the router to the seller because then the warranty would have expired because I opened the case. Is it really that I have to buy a Netgear R7800 router to get DD-WRT installed?

What can cause this problem is that it is really amazing that DD-WRT cannot be installed even though it is supported by WRT3200ACM.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried flashing stock Linksys firmware to overwrite OpenWRT? Does it successfully flash?
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. OpenWRT worked correctly and was normally installed with Norton running.

I appreciate a lot because you want to try to help me and I am really grateful you Smile
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am trying to ask if you have tried flashing official Linksys firmware afterwards, effectively overwriting and removing OpenWRT from the router? You may want to try this first, this way you will be attempting to flash DD-WRT to the other partition.

Edit: Nevermind about trying older Linksys firmware.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't really understand what you meant by that thing you told me first?

I realized that I could try to install the older Linksys factory firmware, and then try to install DD-WRT.

USB-TTL cable DD-WRT installation is really a must-have but if it didn't work out then I could not return the router to the store where I bought the WRT3200ACM a new Friday this week.

I have to use google translator when i speak english because i don't speak english very well yet.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ignore old versions, they do not support your router as it surely contains the newer NAND flash. Try flashing the latest available firmware from Linksys 1.0.6.186168 to overwrite and remove OpenWRT, then go ahead and attempt to install DD-WRT r38159. If it doesn't work, I'm out of options here. Return it and get your money back.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I now have this Linksys firmware installed on 1.0.6.186168

I am I try to install DD-WRT software this afternoon because I'm going to sleep now for a few hours.

So, why not I try USB TTL? So would I lose my warranty and return right if I tried a USB-TTL serial cable? And if it didn't happen that DD-WRT wouldn't install anyway then I could not restore the router anymore because the warranty had expired.

And I'm not taking money back because I buy a Netgear R7800 router from the same store if DD-WRT is not installed on this WRT3200ACM router.

I'm just really disappointed if I do not get 3200ACM flashing DD-WRT router. Why then do other people install DD-WRT on the WRT3200acm but not me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: