Not able to flash dd-wrt to the new Linksys wrt3200acm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I now have a Netgear R7800 router and I installed the DD-WRT router and configured it. When I try to check telnet in the partition where DD-WRT is installed I get the error as shown. I used this command: ubootenv get boot_part

So what is wrong?
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mazufa wrote:
I now have a Netgear R7800 router and I installed the DD-WRT ..... I used this command: ubootenv get boot_part

So what is wrong?

Shocked
The R7800 only has one boot partition --- it is NOT like the Linksys Marvell WRTs or the Linksys IPQ atheros EA8500 units
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just doubted this but wasn't sure about it and so I thought to ask.

So my new Netgear R7800 router has only one partition, so DD-WRT is installed on it. Thanks a lot! Smile
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mazufa wrote:
I just doubted this but wasn't sure about it and so I thought to ask.

So my new Netgear R7800 router has only one partition, so DD-WRT is installed on it. Thanks a lot! Smile

AFAIK the R7800 is a good unit ... however I don't have it.
I really like my EA8500 Razz

anything you want to know about the R7800 just look or ask in this forum ---
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=28

good luck to you Cool
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sure that I will be very happy with my new Netgear R7800 R7800 router Smile In Finland, the price is 189.89 € Can I get to know how much of this router is the price in the United States? I do not find this price valuable it is a good price for this router.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still not having issues with my WRT3200ACM. That is all.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
upe51
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 15:37    Post subject: boots back to stock Reply with quote
I just bought a wrt3200acm and i got the same problem as mazufa. So i guess they must have changed something in the hardware again.

Im trying to flash ddwrt r41791 (191224 builddate) from linksys web ui. Every thing goes well, it says flash is ok and then reboots.. back into linksys stock firmware.

sysinfo.cgi says boot_part=1
and that never changes.

Iv tried a few ways to force boot part to change.

* The 3-power-cycle-reset. Does not change boot_part but resets the router clock and probably settings.

* The linksys function:Troubleshooting->Diagnostics->"Restore previous firmware"
Does not do anything.

Im out of ideas.

Flashing from ubuntu14/firefox66

Edit: actually im not sure it came with version 1.0.6.186168, it may have updated itself to that version in the initial setup-wizard. Rev is B00
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't have the same problem as Mazufa, unless you are flashing with the wrong file because that's what he was doing the entire time.

I have B00 hardware too with zero issues flashing firmware. BTW there's at least a third Rev. C00 floating around as well, but B00 introduced the Winbond and MXIC flash (replacing AMD/Spansion) and support was added long ago so don't worry about that.

My router out of the box had 1.0.6.184351 on both partitions. I flashed 1.0.6.186168 to part 2, then it rebooted into part 2 and I flashed again overwriting part 1 with factory-to-ddwrt.bin first try.

You should be able to flash with the latest build without any problem; older builds are usually needed for 1900 series initial flash.

I'm guessing you read the past 5 pages starting here, if so you know all my suggestions.

You should probably read this post.

Flash over Ethernet cable to a LAN port with your wireless client adapter disabled using Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon or Portable Legacy 45 or 52 without any firewall or security software and you should be fine.

I didn't know about http://192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi for factory firmware, that's awesome thanks!

Last edited by blkt on Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:26; edited 3 times in total
upe51
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
You don't have the same problem as Mazufa, unless you are flashing using the wrong file because that's what he was doing the entire time.

I have B00 hardware too with zero issues flashing firmware. BTW there's at least a third Rev. C00 floating around as well, but B00 introduced the Winbond and MXIC flash (replacing AMD/Spansion) and support was added long ago so don't worry about that.

My router out of the box had 1.0.6.184351 on both partitions. I flashed 1.0.6.186168 to part 2, then it rebooted into part 2 and I flashed again overwriting part 1 with factory-to-ddwrt.bin first try.

I'm guessing you read the past 5 pages starting here, if so you know all my suggestions though you should be able to flash straight to the latest.

You should probably read this post too.

Hello! I was hoping you would reply =) Yes i read the entire thread, and i want to say thankyou to you who especially invested alot of time trying to solve the problems in this thread.

I just tried build 06-11-2019-r40009 to rule-out that it was something with the build. And it installed and booted ddwrt this time!

So now im up&running. Thanks for all help! =)
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are welcome and I updated my previous post with more relevant information. For sysinfo.cgi thanks again.

Remember webflash.bin is for updating from within DD-WRT environment (GUI or command line).

Linksys GUI environment update only using factory-to-ddwrt binary.
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was really trying to install with the wrong file. I had the original factory firmware for the WRT3200ACM and tried to install DD-WRT with a webflash file. Whenever DD-WRT is installed using the original firmware, you should use the factory file Smile

I have now had my new Netgear R7800 in use for 3 days and it has worked really well with the r40009 DD-WRT. Also I use it ExpressVPN which I have set up DD-WRT firmware.

I have two days applied for optimal Wi-Fi settings, and now they are good.

Nice to hear you got the DD-WRT installed on your WRT3200ACM router! Smile Merry Christmas to DD-WRT users! Smile
upe51
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mazufa wrote:
I was really trying to install with the wrong file. I had the original factory firmware for the WRT3200ACM and tried to install DD-WRT with a webflash file. Whenever DD-WRT is installed using the original firmware, you should use the factory file Smile

I have now had my new Netgear R7800 in use for 3 days and it has worked really well with the r40009 DD-WRT. Also I use it ExpressVPN which I have set up DD-WRT firmware.

I have two days applied for optimal Wi-Fi settings, and now they are good.

Nice to hear you got the DD-WRT installed on your WRT3200ACM router! Smile Merry Christmas to DD-WRT users! Smile

Merry Christmas =)
For my part though i did not pick the wrong image, i used factory-to-ddwrt.bin. But when flashing 12-24-2019-r41791 it just wont update boot_part. But with 06-11-2019-r40009 it will. In case someone else gets this problem in the future - it CAN be build dependant.

Now im so happy its working =) This router is a monster! its so fast. I just got openvpn+nat working and its blazing compared to my old Dlink-dir860L.

This was my first time trying ddwrt, used openwrt in the past. Only took a day of fiddling around to get it up and running. Thats pretty great! =)

Merry christmas!
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't even consider using other software because DD-WRT has all the features we need Smile

Maybe OpenWRT is good, but I have to install everything I need. DD-WRT has all the features ready and I think it's the best firmware for the router! Smile
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
upe51 wrote:
For my part though i did not pick the wrong image, i used factory-to-ddwrt.bin. But when flashing 12-24-2019-r41791 it just wont update boot_part. But with 06-11-2019-r40009 it will. In case someone else gets this problem in the future - it CAN be build dependant.

The most recent time I flashed factory-to-ddwrt was 12-21-2019-r41771 so I'm having difficulty understanding why 12-24-2019-r41791 would behave differently, but it's entirely possible.

Another factor most people overlook is browser, version and configuration. I recommend having a portable browser available, or at least a separate browser install, to use for flashing. Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon, Portable Legacy 45 or 52 are all consistent and reliable with DD-WRT. This will provide an isolated environment free from your daily browsing configuration, add-ons and history.

In options please disable anything that could potentially interfere: when starting show a blank page, disable search suggestions, never remember history (or use clear all history, or use private browsing mode), do not remember logins for sites (autofill, usernames, passwords), do not check spelling, never check for updates.

Always flash over an Ethernet cable connected to a LAN port on the router. Disable any wireless adapters on your computer to make sure the flash goes through the cable. Disconnect from the internet (unplug WAN cable from your router) and then disable any anti-virus, anti-malware, security and firewalls you may have. Reboot and make sure it's still all off.

It's good to return the router to its factory configuration or at very least a recent reboot before an attempt.

With any flash upgrade be patient! When a flash write begins wait at least five minutes before thinking about trying anything.

I tried to summarize everything with this post.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: