Not able to flash dd-wrt to the new Linksys wrt3200acm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
adi-brasov
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think the 1.0.6.184351 firmware version is buggy,and even on oficial download https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=207552 they pulled out that version.
i sugest you to try to follow the steps provided on official site and flash 1.0.6.181063 version, followed by router reset (as they say to do).
put the 1.0.6.181063 version on both partitions and try to flash dd-wrt factory-toddwrt.bin.
Sponsor
himjha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried this option too Smile
But the 1.0.6.184351 firmware version is not allowing to flash to firmware version 1.0.6.181063.
Surprisingly when i flashed my router with firmware version 1.0.6.181063, post restart after firmware update, only the LED for the connected LAN port was glowing. Apart from that no other LEDs, even the power LED, were glowing. No wireless, no internet.. absolutely nothing. The router gui is not accessible on 192.168.1.1 with ethernet cable connected.
Anyway, I will try this again tonight along with the reset based on the tutorials on Linksys support page.
platje
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the exact same issues as himjha has. Tried also all the same steps he did and are also stock at the Linksys firmware 1.0.6.184351. Some other ideas to resolve the issue? Thanks in advance...
himjha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried everything recommended here as well on Linksys support page. But the current firmware is pathetically sticky. It is absolutely not allowing to flash any other firmware. The linksys support page from linksys USA says that checking for an updated version on linksys ui should show the last working version as an available update. But this seems to be not configured for European version. The UI says "no updates available "

Anyway, i contacted Linksys support and they seem to be aware of the issue. They offered me a replacement. But I have heard that they provide only refurbished products as a replacement. Can someone share their experience in this regard. When i asked this to customter support, they said that Linksys never uses refurbished products for replacements, But I doubt if that's true.

I still have the option of returning to the seller and getting a refund. That's why I am little confused now.
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
my wrt3200acm started as a refurb. i've gotten a bunch of refurb units from linksys, including as an exchange for a different product. i have not experienced problems.
himjha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
That sounds good. But is it wise to settle for a refurbished product when you have paid for a brand new product. My router is just a week old.
Sam1789
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
@himjha,

My experience has been that they reliably replace like for like, especially if you ask.

I've gotten refurbs replaced with other refurbs that looked to possibly actually be new units.

So I'd make sure you told them how old your unit is and offered to provide a receipt (if you have one).
And politely demand a new unit, if that is what you really want.

Ironically with all the problems they've had with the 3200's, you might be better off with a refurb?
= problems 'pre-fixed' for you?
Question

hth

wrt54GLs for ad'l 3rd tier machines.
azdeltawye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
himjha wrote:
I tried this option too Smile
But the 1.0.6.184351 firmware version is not allowing to flash to firmware version 1.0.6.181063.
Surprisingly when i flashed my router with firmware version 1.0.6.181063, post restart after firmware update, only the LED for the connected LAN port was glowing. Apart from that no other LEDs, even the power LED, were glowing. No wireless, no internet.. absolutely nothing. The router gui is not accessible on 192.168.1.1 with ethernet cable connected.
Anyway, I will try this again tonight along with the reset based on the tutorials on Linksys support page.

Same exact scenario happened to me when I tried to revert my brand new WRT3200ACM back to build 1.0.6.181063. So I tried to connect serially through the JTAG port and got the following upon power cycle:
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Holy GOD I've never seen such confusion and misinformation.

If you have a Defective router you need to return it, not talk about it for so long your warrantee expires.

It's like watching folks in blindfolds walking in circles.

@ the Jtag guy (DOug) , a Jtag uses serial data you can call it a skin tag it's still serial lol.

I have no idea why he chose to call it that, as I said you can call that port anything you want, there is still useful serial data available there.
In this case considering the CPU a better more accurate description of the port would be Serial Wire Debug (SWD).

I can get serial data from any jtag port with a simple serial to usb adapter or I can connect a Jtag port directly to a RS232 port and read the data.

@azdeltawye You Have an Improper data rate set in PUTTY!

I think some of you folks would be a lot better off with something that will work for you out of a box. Something you don't have to try to figure out.
Lol people worried about a refurb unit, like the electrons get old and they just aren't as nice as brand new shiny electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon wrote:

The screen shot I posted was with Com1/Putty port settings of 115200, 8, 1, N & N.

For kicks I tried all available baud rates with similar results...
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
azdeltawye wrote:
aairon wrote:

The screen shot I posted was with Com1/Putty port settings of 115200, 8, 1, N & N.

For kicks I tried all available baud rates with similar results...

Check that you have the correct pin-out and make sure your connections are secure and not wobbly...
azdeltawye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:
Check that you have the correct pin-out and make sure your connections are secure and not wobbly...

Thanks.

Turns out I wasn't using proper level shifting for 3.3V TTL. I fixed the issue with proper adapter and now I get the Marvell >> prompt on Putty.

One issue, however, is during power-up when serial adapter is connected, all the router LEDs will briefly flash and then nothing. No boot or anything. If I power-up the router with the serial adapter removed and then plug in the serial adapter I can send an interrupt or watch the normal boot cycle. Strange...
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
azdeltawye wrote:
05dyna wrote:

Thanks.

Turns out I wasn't using proper level shifting for 3.3V TTL. I fixed the issue with proper adapter and now I get the Marvell >> prompt on Putty.

One issue, however, is during power-up when serial adapter is connected, all the router LEDs will briefly flash and then nothing. No boot or anything. If I power-up the router with the serial adapter removed and then plug in the serial adapter I can send an interrupt or watch the normal boot cycle. Strange...

I had the same issue with my wrt32x, serial connected caused the boot process to hang. According to a post i read somewhere in the multiverse out there leaving the tx line unhooked long enuf for the boot process to commence then quickly connecting the line gives you output. I never tried it because I returned it, another caveat is im not sure if the transmit line is on the router side or the usb-ttl side but thats a quick trial and error. Hope this helps.

NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
goldtop66
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 20:04    Post subject: WRT3200ACM flash issues Reply with quote
himjha wrote:
I tried everything recommended here as well on Linksys support page. But the current firmware is pathetically sticky. It is absolutely not allowing to flash any other firmware. The linksys support page from linksys USA says that checking for an updated version on linksys ui should show the last working version as an available update. But this seems to be not configured for European version. The UI says "no updates available "

Anyway, i contacted Linksys support and they seem to be aware of the issue. They offered me a replacement. But I have heard that they provide only refurbished products as a replacement. Can someone share their experience in this regard. When i asked this to customter support, they said that Linksys never uses refurbished products for replacements, But I doubt if that's true.

I still have the option of returning to the seller and getting a refund. That's why I am little confused now.

I can confirm this behavior on two additional units. Purchased two new WRT3200ACMs. Came from the factory with firmware 1.0.6.184351. Neither unit would find the (downgraded) firmware update recommended by Linksys. Neither unit would manually reflash anything into either partition but the version that was shipped with the unit.

Attempting to flash with factory firmware 1.0.6.181063 results in three failed boot attempts, then rollover to the other partition (which hasn't yet been modified). Version 1.0.6.186168 (released yesterday) can be manually flashed successfully.

Attempted to manually flash several dd-wrt release versions (r33006, r34311, r34411) using factory versions 1.0.6.184351 and 1.0.6.186168. All result in same failure - three failed boot attempts, then rollover back to the factory firmware partition. When attempting to boot, dd-wrt illuminates the power LED and the eSATA LED. Both remain lit until the reboot occurs, typically about 20-30 seconds. There is nothing plugged into the eSATA port. The unit never issues an IP address on the LAN link during that time.

Have not opened a unit up yet and attached a ftdi cable to it.

Would like to get dd-wrt on the unit, but it sure is fighting it.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
@goldtop66
I don't think anyone but Linksys can help you with that, unless you want to open them up and attach a serial interface and load it that way.
I don't think SSH will allow it.

Navigation

Jump to: