Not able to flash dd-wrt to the new Linksys wrt3200acm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
himjha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 0:13    Post subject: Not able to flash dd-wrt to the new Linksys wrt3200acm Reply with quote
Based on my superb experience of using ddwrt firmware on my Linksys E4200 router, I bought a new Linksys WRT3200ACM. I am not a newbie but somehow the flashing of ddwrt firmware is not succeeding. I follow all the the recommended steps and use linksys stock web interface and factory-to-ddwrt.bin image. The firmware update succeeds but the router always boots back to the linksys stock firmware after reboot as a part firmware update. I tried files from different releases (r34311, r 34080, r33679, r33257, r33555 etc). I even tried with 30/30/30 reset.
There is no option available to enable ssh in linksys web interface, so that i can view/modify u-boot variables.
Could it be an issue with the hardware?

I tried even installing open-wrt but even that did not succeed. In fact with open-wrt, router is not even reachable after reboot post firmware update. I needed to switch on/off 3 times to get back to the default stock firmware from linksys.
Sponsor
xxgrahvityxx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having the same issue. Same router. Has anyone found a solution?
ad19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:40    Post subject: Re: Not able to flash dd-wrt to the new Linksys wrt3200acm Reply with quote
himjha wrote:

I tried even installing open-wrt but even that did not succeed. In fact with open-wrt, router is not even reachable after reboot post firmware update. I needed to switch on/off 3 times to get back to the default stock firmware from linksys.

AFAIK in Open-WRT fresh installation, the radios are switched off by default and you need to login using a cable. Hopefully you are aware of this?
Other than that, what exactly do you mean that the router is not reachable?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am aware of this fact that flashing should be performed always with a wired connection. Router can not be reached was the situation when i tried to install openwrt. I was connect with the router with an ethernet cable. Even the LED on the router for this ethernet port was glowing. but apart from that no other LEDs(even power LED) were glowing. I waited in the same state overnight, assuming router is updating firmware.

Somehow WRT3200ACM does not accept any manual firmware flashing, not even to the previous version of linksys official stock firmware. That could be an issue with the current firmware 1.0.6.184351.

I am attaching below the result of http://192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi. I guess there could be something wrong with the uboot variables.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
@himjha
Before messing things up, be sure to read the threads in my sig..

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
himjha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
@myersw
I had already read everything relevant from your signature and also in the forum. I posted only after I tried everything possible suggested in this forum as well as on other tutorials.
I've run out of options now and just waiting for any clues which can help me move further. I'm planning to for a couple of days more to find a solution otherwise I'll send this router back to the seller.

BTW, what's messed up? Did you observe something in the logs? If yes then please suggest a workaround/solution.
ad19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
himjha wrote:
I am aware of this fact that flashing should be performed always with a wired connection. Router can not be reached was the situation when i tried to install openwrt. I was connect with the router with an ethernet cable. Even the LED on the router for this ethernet port was glowing. but apart from that no other LEDs(even power LED) were glowing. I waited in the same state overnight, assuming router is updating firmware.

Somehow WRT3200ACM does not accept any manual firmware flashing, not even to the previous version of linksys official stock firmware. That could be an issue with the current firmware 1.0.6.184351.

I am attaching below the result of http://192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi. I guess there could be something wrong with the uboot variables.

Your sysinfo,cgi file shows U-Boot data as fw_printenv boot_part: boot_part=1. There is an option in Linksys firmware UI that allows you to boot to previous firmware. When you click this option, basically it changes the boot_part to alternate partition and boots from there. Try using this option and once you reboot see if the sysinfo.cgi show U-Boot data as fw_printenv boot_part: boot_part=2.
This can help you troubleshoot if the router is actually going to the second boot partition.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried this option too. But the router never boots from 2nd partition. The uboot variable boot_part always remains 1.
ad19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Therein lies your problem. Even though you have a dd-wrt fw flashed on partition 2, your router is not switching to that partition.
There was a post/ thread somewhere on this forum I think which explains how to rewrite the U-Boot environment using a serial cable. Or if you get the router RMAed, you can explain this problem to Linksys and get a replacement.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ya, That could be one of the issues. I know how to change U-boot variables using a serial cable as i used to do this on a daily basis at my workplace Smile. But i do not want to do it as this would require opening the router.

There could be some more problems. Normally flashing a factory-to-ddwrt image takes around 30 minutes. But with my router, the flashing always finised in less than 3-4 minutes. So I assume that the firmware is not getting flashed to the 2nd partition.
But again in the syslogs, i see rango.img in my boot images. So, out of my several attempts, some data has been written in 2nd partition.
Is there any way to clear NVRAM completely without using serial cable or uboot interface?

As you suggested I will try to get some help from Linksys support. I did not buy this router directly from Linksys, so I am not sure if they can provide me a new one as replacement. And even if they provide a replacement, will it be a brand new one or a refurbished one. So, the last option would be to return to the seller. My revocation period for this purchase is ending on next Thursday. Hence I would look for a fix or else I will can the order and send it back on next Wednesday.
ad19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
himjha wrote:
Ya, That could be one of the issues. I know how to change U-boot variables using a serial cable as i used to do this on a daily basis at my workplace Smile. But i do not want to do it as this would require opening the router.

There could be some more problems. Normally flashing a factory-to-ddwrt image takes around 30 minutes. But with my router, the flashing always finised in less than 3-4 minutes. So I assume that the firmware is not getting flashed to the 2nd partition.
But again in the syslogs, i see rango.img in my boot images. So, out of my several attempts, some data has been written in 2nd partition.
Is there any way to clear NVRAM completely without using serial cable or uboot interface?

As you suggested I will try to get some help from Linksys support. I did not buy this router directly from Linksys, so I am not sure if they can provide me a new one as replacement. And even if they provide a replacement, will it be a brand new one or a refurbished one. So, the last option would be to return to the seller. My revocation period for this purchase is ending on next Thursday. Hence I would look for a fix or else I will can the order and send it back on next Wednesday.

Flashing does not take 30 minutes. It takes only 3-4 minutes. So you appear to be good there. Also, opening the router is not that big a deal. You only need to unscrew the 2 screws on the blue portion of the router to expose the serial connector. But this is of course your call.
Don't know a way to erase NVRAM from Linksys except for using the reset to factory default option.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, i heard this 30 minutes thing from youtube tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPS8Nflic8g.

And I do not have a serial cable at home and if I order a new one, I might or might not get it before next Wednesday. So, I will try with Linksys support.

BTW, I am not the only one to encounter this problem. There is at least one more guy with the same problem. And I think, the root cause of the problem lies somewhere in the current Linksys official firmware.

And apropos of the issue with erasing NVRAM, a 30-30-30 reset too is not working here. Sad
himjha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
This power cycle reset works. I have tried this. But even this doesn't clear the NVRAM in my case.
himjha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. The problem is here is that I could never got into any other interface than Linksys interface. As i mentioned in my earlier posts, the router is not allowing any manual flashing to any other firmware. Even i tried flashing with older version of official firmware from Linksys. The current firmware version seems to be quite sticky.
himjha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, You never know, This could be an intentional bug introduced to stop usage of open source firmware there. I am not the only one facing this issue. There was another guy in the same message thread, facing the same issue.

But then, Linksys should stop selling this router with a caption"Open source router"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: