wrt3200 users - can we regroup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
vit5421 wrote:
I dont understand why ur Lan speed is so low on r7800. I have up to 960mbs wired and up to 500mbps wireless

Nice, but as you know you are only as fast as your weakest link. In my case with the exception of one piece of CAT5E going from the WAN to my primary router I’m all CAT5 here because I wired my home back in 1998 plus I have a switch so don’t have to look too far for the bottleneck. My results reflects the LAN obstacles themselves but the test results were the same for both dd-wrt and Voxel. Now if I had all my devices connected to the R7800 as the main router with little 10’ patch cords I would expect the same as you are seeing. My r7800 is configured in AP mode hanging off a cheap 16 port TP-Link switch
Sponsor
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ferrari will not run any faster on gravel curved road. Lol.
I have cat6 all around house with fast switch and my Internet company rebuild all cable connections until i got perfect 0dbmV signal and 38 SNR.
Looking also for seamless wireless mesh network.
So, sure all infrastructure need to be updated
I will test ac86u performance next week to compare with r7800 but little bit disappointed already of missing 160mhz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
sure, this thread is all over the place but you can't deny it's informational!

i'm finding ticks in the rt-ac86u now.
    1)difficult to configure static ip for a client.
    2)the network map function is error-prone pretty much useless.
    3) my tvs require an extra step on my part before they connect.which is why i want to play with a static ip to see if that fixes it.

i hope the moderators don't get pissed but i'm finding this type of exchange extremely helpful.

LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
try here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/preview-asuswrt-merlin-384-3-pre-release-test-builds.44060/page-13

have you tried Merlin's image?

Merlin just enhances adds some features, and bug fixes the Asus firmware, also keeps on top of driver changes.

stable, beta's and pre beta images:

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
try here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/preview-asuswrt-merlin-384-3-pre-release-test-builds.44060/page-13

have you tried Merlin's image?

Merlin just enhances adds some features, and bug fixes the Asus firmware, also keeps on top of driver changes.

stable, beta's and pre beta images:

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

oh, i like you! i'll check it out now.

update fwiw, i dug a bit deeper today and found a workaround. if the tvs and avrs have a static ip, they all show up on the map. so at this point - boom, i'm done.
now it's a wait and see for how well it holds up in the long run. still, a very capable device. joined the snb forum too.

Mark1958
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
128bit wrote:
guys (assuming we're all men here), this is great info. i've been on the fence about mothballing the 3200acm. had a wonderful time with my 1900ac v1, though.

i know u guys are bz and have lots to do BUT, this kind of feedback is immeasurable! there's nothing like experience from end-users.

we're losing if not already lost at least 2 gurus on the 3200acm device - not good. i get it cause there comes a time when enough is enough! i don't have much faith in belkin/linksys.

this thread has proven to be much more informative than i ever hoped. i'm going to revisit that asus router once more. i thought its native interface was exceptional.

hell, THIS FORUM IS EXCEPTIONAL!! but i'm not too surprised since i've worked with people like u for about 40 yrs.

I agree completely! with (LookingForMyMojo, myersw) both heading in another direction and not much if any support coming from Linksys I dumped the 3200acm that I purchased for my sister on craigs list today for $125, and felt a little bad dumping it on the guy but was glad to salvage what I could out of it, but like myersw I got mine from Fleabay so I only lost about $25.
Just hope he has better luck than I!
Now I'm just going to follow a few of the threads here and decide which direction to go from here, I can only say it won't be Linksys!!!
The only good thing that came out of my experience with Linksys was getting 2 Velop mesh systems!

RIP Linksys !!!!!

Router: LinksysWRT3200Acm{RIP}
Router: Linksys EA8500 kongat r35030m (Vpn)
Router: Netgear X4S kongat r35965M
Vpn: IpVanish
Unbrick your 3200acm with usb to ttl cable: https://tinyurl.com/y9azvrkg
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Btw, I did try Linksys Velop system on June 2017 and had too much problems. Hope it was fixed but not sure so be very careful with any Linksys product.
1. Hard to believe but I was not able to start the system and tech support spent 4 hours on the phone and it was not easy for some reason.
2. The Velop was not able to create seamless network connection between 3 points and it was finally confirmed by support. Lol. It was a main reason for system
3. The speed and throughput was much slower than router

I was able to return 2x1900acs and 2x3200acm and Velop to great Amazon to exchange it for Netgear and love it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
vit5421 wrote:
Btw, I did try Linksys Velop system on June 2017 and had too much problems. Hope it was fixed but not sure so be very careful with any Linksys product.
1. Hard to believe but I was not able to start the system and tech support spent 4 hours on the phone and it was not easy for some reason.
2. The Velop was not able to create seamless network connection between 3 points and it was finally confirmed by support. Lol. It was a main reason for system
3. The speed and throughput was much slower than router

I was able to return 2x1900acs and 2x3200acm and Velop to great Amazon to exchange it for Netgear and love it

The Velop system worked ok not the best resolution, but it helped make up for the f**ked up POS that I purchased, and if I sell them as well Ill be in the positive as far as the cash I spent.
As far as the time/hassle goes Ill never get that back!!!!

RIP Linksys !!!!!

myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cannot even flash 3rd party on new wrt3200's? What on earth is Belkin/Linksys thinking. Only reason, in my opinion to buy one is to install 3rd party.

Interesting thread about a change in hardware build is leading to not being able to install 3rd party. Am sure the box still says Openwrt and DD-WRT compatible. Shocked

https://github.com/ValCher1961/McDebian_WRT3200ACM/issues/1

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
bluefox7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
Cannot even flash 3rd party on new wrt3200's? What on earth is Belkin/Linksys thinking. Only reason, in my opinion to buy one is to install 3rd party.

Interesting thread about a change in hardware build is leading to not being able to install 3rd party. Am sure the box still says Openwrt and DD-WRT compatible. Shocked

Newbie here. I had not set up dd-wrt since the linksys wrt54g nearly 8 years ago, which is still running fine at my parents' home.

I read this thread and others after buying the 3200 (@myersw: it does say "Open source ready firmware: Developed for use with Open WRT and DD-WRT"). So I was a quite worried and was planning to return the box factory sealed. But I decided to give it a try and mine ended up working fine the first time.

My timeline and steps (if it helps someone):
- 1/25/18: Bought a new Linksys WRT 3200 ACM from amazon. It came with firmware version 1.0.5.179030.
- 1/28/18: Logged into factory firmware and upgraded it to version 1.0.6.186168
- 1/28/18: Logged back into factory firmware and installed factory-to-wrt.bin (release 01-19-2018-r34578) from https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/
- 1/28/18: Logged into dd-wrt at 192.168.1.1, changed admin password, set up wireless, disabled telnet, configured dhcp and port forwarding. Rebooted and running fine for now (6+ hours).

Just wanted to say big thanks to people on this board, you guys helped me become informed and prepared to do this.
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
bluefox7 wrote:
myersw wrote:

Newbie here. I had not set up dd-wrt since the linksys wrt54g nearly 8 years ago, which is still running fine at my parents' home.

I read this thread and others after buying the 3200 (@myersw: it does say "Open source ready firmware: Developed for use with Open WRT and DD-WRT"). So I was a quite worried and was planning to return the box factory sealed. But I decided to give it a try and mine ended up working fine the first time.

- 1/25/18: Bought a new Linksys WRT 3200 ACM from amazon. It came with firmware version 1.0.5.179030.
- 1/28/18: Logged back into factory firmware and installed factory-to-wrt.bin (release 01-19-2018-r34578) from https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/
- 1/28/18: Logged into dd-wrt at 192.168.1.1, changed admin password, set up wireless, disabled telnet, configured dhcp and port forwarding. Rebooted and running fine for now (6+ hours).

Just wanted to say big thanks to people on this board, you guys helped me become informed and prepared to do this.

If you are able to return wrt3200 please do yourself a big favor and exchange it for units from Netgear like r7800 or Asus ac86u. You will have much better stability and performance for same price

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
bluefox7 wrote:
myersw wrote:

You are 1 of very few that are up and running error free, if your smart you will take a little advice and return it while you still can mine worked good for a while and went down hill quick.
Read the forums including Linksys own, and there are more horror story's than happy campers!! fwiw

128bit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
bluefox7 wrote:

you're either anointed or clueless. we've all been the latter at some point but there is a chance that you are anointed! embrace it.

i'm on several boards. two for my somewhat pricey and very hi-perf ride. lots of self-described engineers on those. imho, 90% blowing smoke. brings new meaning to the term gearheads. this board is different.

i was in the industry for 40 years. i'm still consulted on some topics even though fully retired. this board is by far the most professional and content oriented out of all my others combined!!

networking is a BITCH! and with 65k logical ports of entry from any one physical port, extremely complex.

these guys aren't paid like pcmag reviewers, k. they provide real-world experiences. while i tend to bloviate, most of their comments are pithy. why? cause they're BZ!

i watched/read this board for years before joining. i'm a sw-developer - it's what we do. my suggestion - pay attention. i know of no better board for comprehensive discussion and solutions.

this thread was started out of pure frustration with linksys. if you've been paying attention, people have bailed. read/listen and learn. i'm still learning!

vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
For users who is interested to replace WRT and looking for new router i just tested with same configuration Netgear r7800 (Kong 34320) and ac86u ( Merlin 382.1_2) side to side in 4 different spots of my house with win10 i7 Intel 7265 laptop and results are very interesting. They have almost the same signal (DB), throughput (mbs) and bufferbloat (mls). Tight.
I dont know yet about ac86 stability but r7800 works 6 months with no single glitch or slowdown.
In this case its only your personnel preference to be with DDWRT or Asus ( or Merlin).
I like ddwrt more and will test r7800 with new intel 160mhz adapter soon and probably will have advantage on AC side over ac86
Will see

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here. I've been trying to get the WRTs to work well for a while now. First with the WRT1900AC and more recently with the WRT3200ACM. I should have gotten out when KONG stopped working on the WRTs last year. I've not really had a stable network where my devices just work (i.e. my printers staying online or streaming device not stuttering) without constantly rebooting. I've even recently reverted my WRT3200ACM to the latest stock firmware to see if that's any better. The last straw was this morning where my router decided reset SOME of the settings but not all of them. Most frightening was that it reset the router password to the default ADMIN password leaving my router vulnerable to attack. So I'm throwing in the towel at this point and getting another brand. That being said, I'd like to thank everyone here for the tips and advice I've gotten and will check back occasionally to see if the WRT can live up to it's potential...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: