The DEBRICKING of Netgear R8500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
DWCruizer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:59    Post subject: The DEBRICKING of Netgear R8500 Reply with quote
Firstly, I thank you many for your contributions. In particular, KONG for his works on this router and on others such as R7000. I owe him a donation or two. Being a student is tough on money.

I'd like to share my experience in attempting to debrick Netgear R8500 in this thread. I do hope we gain a better collective understanding of R8500 in the end.

Some background:
I acquired a non-working and cheap Netgear R8500-NAS (made in Vietnam, 272-12473-02). I have done nearly 20 flashings at this point! I am also a Beta tester for several of Netgear products. I can honestly say Netgear hardware specs are reasonably good on those that I tested including R7000 and Orbi. But its software department is well below par. I told them that although in a gentle way so as not to upset anybody, if you know what I mean. The R8500 issues are perhaps indicative of my observations here. BTW, I did not beta-test R8500.

With that out of the way, here are what I did:

Sequence:
- My initial flashing of R8500 with KONG's dd-wrt for brought R8500 back to life from a solid amber power light indicator. But whatever KONG's version I tried, the radio remained OFF, i.e. No wifi.

- Flashing Netgear stock FW for R8500 did not bring R8500 back to life.

- So nothing to loose at this stage, I tried stock FW for R8300. But R8500 refused to play ball.

... A few hairs turned grey. A day and half later with some enforced breaks to regain my insanity....

More research ... I came across the thread of 'Bricked R8500?' in which KONG suggestion of inserting a Power Off and Power On in between @CFE commands of 'nvram erase' and 'TFTPD'. And suddenly my radio was miraculously turned on. Don't laugh on my quick feeling of a bit like... Marie Curie discovering Uranium! It's all relative, I am told. Very Happy

- However, only 2.4GHZ and one 5GHz channels are available. Second 5GHz is missing. My thought, oh well.....

- But after updating to KONG's dd-wrt r34320M, 2.4 GHz also disappears . Flashing it back to r33675M does not bring 2.4GHz back.

Observation:
One thing I learned is that after a successful TFTP transfer, I simply wait for PuTTY process to complete its process. This way, I know for sure that the flashing has fully completed on the router's nvram.

At this point, I am kinda in a state of multipolar feelings: Happy and Confused. Happy for I brought R8500 back to life. Confused for not knowing why only one 5GHz is available while all wifi indicator lights lit up!

Please chime in, if you know something.

Wishing you all a good day. And sorry for the long post.

(P.S. After 20 flashings or so, I lost track of any logs in particular, in case anybody asks for it.) Smile
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are so many of these faulty r8500 being sold on eBay. I have bought 5 trying to receive them.
I've had to unbrick them using serial recovery. Some stay in a reboot loop, others work with either both 5ghz radios not working or the 2.4ghz radio not working.
Badly designed hardware.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
There are so many of these faulty r8500 being sold on eBay. I have bought 5 trying to receive them.
I've had to unbrick them using serial recovery. Some stay in a reboot loop, others work with either both 5ghz radios not working or the 2.4ghz radio not working.
Badly designed hardware.

Your five units of R8500 with varying post-boot states indicate clearly to me that I should cut my losses with Netgear R8500, and move on.

Thank you.
Steveb4088
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Badly designed hardware.

Absolute truth. I think Netgear is ripe for a class action. The hardware fault is in the chips not sure I think Vietnam based chips corrupt I get what looks like write buffer issues from the DDWRT loading... It just boot loops with any Netgear firmwares. I believe a write buffer overflow hack initiated the firmware security update also lol.
fab4ops
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
What process did you go through to unbrick via serial port and what firmware did you have success with? I am trying and get putty to connect but have only once had the firmware upload and it wont take.

Thanks!
archase.co
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
got same issue. successfully installed Kong's DD-WRT on my Netgear R8500.
but unfortunately 1 5ghz radios seems not working (the one with higher bandwith channel above 100)

already tried to re-flash and nvram erase or 30/30/30 and flash another version of DD-WRT, but have the same issue.

here are my screenshot.

also i can provide the CFE logs if needed.
what i see is wl: unsupported
and wl: driver not found something like that.

InkedInkedwl1_LI.jpg
 Description:
WL1 5ghz
 Filesize:  786.64 KB
 Viewed:  7807 Time(s)

InkedInkedwl1_LI.jpg

InkedInkedwl0_LI.jpg
 Description:
WL0 at 2.4ghz
 Filesize:  787.53 KB

InkedInkedwl0_LI.jpg

Inkedstat_LI.jpg
 Description:
status
 Filesize:  771.44 KB

Inkedstat_LI.jpg

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing can be done about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
here is the cfe screenshoot abt the wifi driver
so sad abt it.

btw can i flash back to netgear original firmware?
PITABoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the exact same error as in the screenshot above. Has anyone made any progress with this?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
PITABoy wrote:
I have the exact same error as in the screenshot above. Has anyone made any progress with this?

Not that I know of.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been reading all of the threads about this. Kong was mentioning that it might be caused by missing nvram values. Does anyone know what values they are? They can be set via CFE if we know what we need to set.

Hopefully it is that easy. Probably won't be though.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong and I tried various things to get them working. Nothing succeeded.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi!

I have tried a thousand times without success to compile the real initial version of the firmware (1.0.0.20 not the 1.0.0.2Cool that apparently is bigger than the rest, has anyone tried it? this version is not even in the official firmware downloads of the netgear page, only in the development section...

I attach the link in case someone can try

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GPL/R8500-V1.0.0.20_1.0.11_GPL.zip
PITABoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
what are you doing to try to compile it? Are you using Linux?

Also did you follow the instructions in the zip file?

I too got an error. Looks like it is an easy fix though. edit

edit timeconst.pl in the kernel R8500-V1.0.0.20_1.0.11_src/components/opensource/linux/linux-2.6.36/kernel folder remove the line with the - and add the line with the + then it should start to compile. I ran into another error that I will try to work out and will post back.

Code:
-   if (!defined(@val)) {
+   if (!@val) {
PITABoy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
iptables was also failing due to /bin/arch being depreciated.

I made a bash script in /bin/arch with the following.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
uname -m

then I set permissions to be able to use it.

more errors to come... I am also going to try to compile as root and see if that helps.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: