Anyone Successfully using WDS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
MaximusOverdrive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 23:20    Post subject: Anyone Successfully using WDS? Reply with quote
I am interested in setting up a WDS using the Linksys 3200 ACM I have. The spare routers I currently have are Broadcom (54G's) and I've read that won't work. Just want to know if anyone has successfully set one up before I spend some dough on another Marvell based unit.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Sponsor
JavaOops
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 17:02    Post subject: reply : Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) Reply with quote
Using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/05/13) mega - build 22786

I was able to setup WDS with this one issue...

I setup WDS using 2 Cisco e4200 routers. It only seems to work if I set security on 2.4g to WEP.

5g is set to WPA2 and is the channel connecting the two.

Named both channels different and used these instructions.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/…/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS
for starts
after a cpl of sentences youll giveup on the whole notion Wink

NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
gallo wrote:
for starts

Never used or saw a need for WDS. After that read does not sound like a good way to connect.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
JavaOops
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have backed off that, when I found some docs on using a netgear as a AP. Even tho Netgear suggests using a different SSID for the AP, it works fine with the same SSID and password as long as it is on a different channel on each band.
MaximusOverdrive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
gallo wrote:
for starts

Thank you for the feedback, I did not realize only Qualcomm Atheros routers were supported for WDS... you saved me time and money.... much appreciated!
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
@MoD Wink
@d0ug Wink

aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ethernet cat6 cable is relatively cheap compared to trying to buy two smokin hot routers with compatible hardware and finding actual firm/software.
A lot more likely as well.

I could see applications where you need to send a signal where it's literally impossible to run wire.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
If you absolutely needed to use WDS or get similar functionality, the better option would be have one AP setup in normal AP mode, and another AP setup in client mode. Then daisy chain another AP off the AP in client mode. This eliminates the "relay race effect" because the AP isn't needing to buffer then re-transmit the packets.

It just receives the packet and puts it on the LAN. At this point on the LAN you could have other wired clients, or the 2nd AP in AP mode.

This would work good where you want to setup a wireless link between buildings using directional antennas and can't/dont want to run a cable outdoors.

Say you had an garage that is separate from your house on the same property. The attached rough diagram of that kind of setup.

This is the situation I have, my barn is across the street at about 300 ft distance. Cable would be preferred but going under the road would cost quite a bit so I'm hoping I can solution with wireless. I have an old WRT54G that I setup in bridge mode but the connectivity is bad with the stock antennas. Can anyone recommend a good antenna solution? Will I need antennas on both ends or can I just set them up at the receiving end where the barn is located?
DaveI
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
In theory the wireless bridge would work...In practice it doesn't for more than a brief period.
I too had a garage located about 200 ft. from the house where I have my "mancave" with a computer located there. For about 5 years I used Wifi with a 2.4Ghz yagi antenna on the roof pointed back to the house to have internet there. It worked well but I always wanted to be able to "wakeup" the computer remotely so I didn't have to go out there in crappy weather just to do daily updates. I tried the bridge setup using two WRT54Gs and got it working...Unfortunately what I found was it only worked for a brief period. The routers would either lose the link or the remote PC simply could not be awaken after a while. I too had a difficult route to try and lay Cat5e out to the garage because of irrigation lines and a propane line as well as having to traverse through a gravel driveway. Then it dawned on me to simply bridge the distance halfway with a support pole. I went to Home depot and purchased two twelve foot metal pipes. One smaller than the other so one fit inside the other and could be used to telescope up to whatever height I wanted. I settled on about 21 feet and once the pole was planted in ground 3ft. It stood at about 18ft. tall. I then ran Cat5e cable out from one switch in my house out the side along the roof line. I used ceramic standoffs (also purchased from home depot) to support the Cat5e at the house point, at the pole and at the garage. The type of Cat5e I purchased is the type that ISPs use to go from a pole to a house. It has a "MESSENGER WIRE" that supports the actual ethernet cable. I got the 250ft. cable on Ebay for about $120. The poles and standoffs along with a 50 pound bag of cement to pour around the base of the pole cost about $40 so I did the whole project for $160. The ethernet cable has been working great for almost 2 years now and I can remotely wakeup my computer whenever I want. I just HIBERNATE it rather than shutdown and I use WakeOnLan FREE which I found the most reliable to wake it up (I use two wakeups each time and it always works). The whole project took me only about 2 hours to complete. I should have done it years earlier. You can "try" the bridge" setup but I can tell you I wasted a day doing that only to be disappointed with the results. How I wound up doing my remote garage PC was easy and took no time. I use Windows 10 built-in REMOTE DESKTOP to use the remote PC. I can install updates or do whatever I wish on the remote PC at full Gigabit speed.
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
ehhh im lazy 2 Ethernet Over Power adapters are quicker grant it throughput wont be as good but, im lazy.
stinkyjones
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
MaximusOverdrive wrote:
This is the situation I have, my barn is across the street at about 300 ft distance. Cable would be preferred but going under the road would cost quite a bit so I'm hoping I can solution with wireless. I have an old WRT54G that I setup in bridge mode but the connectivity is bad with the stock antennas. Can anyone recommend a good antenna solution? Will I need antennas on both ends or can I just set them up at the receiving end where the barn is located?

Totally realize this is my first post, therefore, no cred. However, I've been using DD-WRT on various routers for longer than I can remember, but never had a reason to post.

Anyhow, someone here turned me on to Ubiquiti equipment (wish I knew who it was because I'm forever grateful), and something like the Ubiquiti AirMax Nanostation AC ($50ish) is perfect for your situation. You can use the NS with your current equipment.

Check out the Crosstalk Solutions videos for the nanostation on YouTube (especially the one about stealing your neighbor's wifi).

After this recent adventure with the WRT3200, I'm in the process of replacing all of the equipment in my house with Ubiquiti equipment. The edgerouters are cheap and infinitely configurable. The APs are solid, and most importantly, work.
DaveI
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you mean Powerline Adapters...Yes that would work with a long extension cord direct (As it's not going to work unless the garage was on the same electrical circuit not transversing another breaker box which is unlikely. But there's little advantage in that setup versus just running Cat5e which will be faster anyway.

quote="gallo"]ehhh im lazy 2 Ethernet Over Power adapters are quicker grant it throughput wont be as good but, im lazy.[/quote]
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
gallo wrote:
ehhh im lazy 2 Ethernet Over Power adapters are quicker grant it throughput wont be as good but, im lazy.

As long as both locations use the same power pole transformer.
Mine is separate with it's own transformer so they won't tx or rx through the pole pig it's only good for passing 60 Hz not 60 Mhz or whatever they're using for transmitting the data.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
If all you want is internet/network connectivity when you are actually in the garage then the setup I used for 5 years worked fine. ALFA USB Wifi Adapter up to 1 Watt output. Reverse Polarity SMA cable from that to a 2.4Ghz Wifi Antenna on the Garage Roof pointed back to the house. Router in the house should be located in a location to give best signal to the Garage (You could use additional antennas for the House Router but that gets complicated and messy. I found using a WRT54G and setting it for 50 Milliwatts output gave the best quality connection for me (Higher induced noise). I operated like that for 5 years and it worked fine. But like I said I wanted to be able to wake up that computer remotely and a direct ethernet connection like I described has worked perfect for me for 2 years now. But if all you want is internet then a USB Wifi Adapter like I described and a rooftop YAGI 2.4Ghz antenna will work fine.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: