CFE and firmware confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
HomerSimpsons
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:08    Post subject: CFE and firmware confusion Reply with quote
Hello, dd-wrt forum gurus! I have some questions about a router (Asus RT-N66U B1) I just bought for really cheap!

He said that I could flash the router with some custom firmware (that is also why I got so excited about it but didn't want him to know that lol) - but I came home and started searching the internet for information about the flashing process of dd-wrt. And found this wiki about the router: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U#Installation_Instructions - so I tested my CFE version and the terminal returned: bl_version=1.0.1.2 but in the wiki it says, that I need to use a K2.6 build, but the USB won't work then? And I really want the USB ports to work also.

So I looked at this page also linked in the wiki: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cfe-bootloader-update.8259/ that I can reflash the CFE bootloader up to 1.0.1.9 so I can also get the 64K NVRAM. But is this same or should I not do it?
I really don't wanna brick the router, as I want it for some VLAN networking. Very Happy

Hope someone can help me! Best regards from Denmark, and have a great day![/b]
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just use the k3.x big builds with the router name in the title.
Like this ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/01-31-2018-r34777/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-34777_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

If you have recent asus firmware on it, you'll have to use the cfe mini web browser to flash it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Just use the k3.x big builds with the router name in the title.
Like this ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/01-31-2018-r34777/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-34777_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

If you have recent Asus firmware on it, you'll have to use the cfe mini web browser to flash it.

Thanks so much, but what about the CFE version, will it upgrade automatically when DD-WRT is flashed on it, so I get the 64K NVRAM support? - and I'm pretty sure I got the newest firmware on it, I even think the guy I bought it from flashed the merlin Asus firmware on it. It sure looks exactly like the screenshots on their website :O

EDIT: It don't got the "Powered by Asuswrt-merlin" at the top tho
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don’t need to worry about it. If you’ve flashed it with any relatively recent asus firmware, you have 64k cfe. And even if you didn’t, the k3.x builds work anyway and will give you 64k nvram.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright, sweet. So just upload the firmware from the web interface, and if it says that I can't, I need to use the CFE mini web browser - where do I find that?

Can't I use the recovery flash tool on asus website? Very Happy

Thanks so much for your help btw!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
The cfe mini web server is accessed by powering off the router. Hold the reset button in while Turing the router on. Keep the reset pressed in till the power led flashes.
Then open your browser to 192.168.1.1 and there you will see the mini web server.

Also set a static up on your pc and an a continuous ping, ping 192.168.1.1 -t. When the ping response is ttl=100, it’s in recovery mode.
The firmware restoration tool can be found here on the forum or on the asus website. Just google it. It’s the same one for all units.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the help @Malachi - I tried the first method with just uploading the firmware from the web gui, and it worked, I just left it for an hour, while it said uploading. Pretty awesome in my opinion!

Do you have any good links for some tutorials for vlan tagging or "scripts/plugins" for a newbie to dd-wrt Very Happy
Also I tried to create a vlan tag; VLAN1.300 - I then deleted it, but it still shows up in some dropdown menus Sad

Best regards and maaaaany thanks and warm hearts from Denmark Razz
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
HomerSimpsons wrote:
Do you have any good links for some tutorials for vlan tagging or "scripts/plugins" for a newbie to dd-wrt Very Happy
Search the wikis, e.g.:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Startup_Scripts
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Useful_Scripts

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: