Getting pppoe working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
NotAMacMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 13:55    Post subject: Getting pppoe working. Reply with quote
Can anyone help me get pppoe working on our Archer C7 v2? We have an ISP that gives us a static IP via pppoe, and it works fine with 2 different TP-Link routers with the TP-Link firmware. I prefer and have been using DD-WRT for years on several devices, but this has stumped me.

I have tried logging into the bridged fiber modem, but am locked out by the ISP (PLDT). I know its IP conflicts with our router (both are 192.168.1.1). I have changed a WR940Nv3 to 192.168.10.1, set its WAN to pppoe, just adding the username and password, set to Connect on Demand with 0 Max Idle Time, and it works. I tried a WR841Nv9 router with TP-Link firmware, set the same, and it works (i.e. gets our IP). I tried a WR841NDv7 with DD-WRT (build 34578), configured for 192.168.10.1, set to PPPOE, same username and password, set to Connect on Demand (but an error says cannot set Max Idle Time to 0, only 1-9999), but it never gets an address.

It is frustrating that the TP-Link firmware works so easily for pppoe, but I cannot get DD-WRT (a more robust firmware) to work at all.

Any ideas out there? I hate to have a router in between our fiber modem and our Archer just to get the pppoe supplied IP from our ISP working.

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
well... do not add any other settings just username and pass...

if its not working and requires any other settings call your ISP..
otherwise the other thing that comes in my mind try
PPPoE Dual next available settings on the WAN menu...

in my case simple PPPoE works but on different ISP settings may vary...

try different build like 34311 in case of PPPoE bugs..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use a Permanent Connection, not Connect on Demand which is for dial up.
NotAMacMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I finally got it working. First to overcome was the IP address of the modem, which conflicted with the router (and to change the IP on the router was a lot more work because of all the static devices). After I got that done (with no help from the ISP and no administrator access), I was determined to get it going.

I setup the WAN for PPPoE, entered my known username and password, disabled Force Connect, made sure other options were disabled, changed Connect on Demand to Keep Alive. I tried to make it as simple as I could as per instructions. It appeared that after I change Connect on Demand to Keep Alive (left the default 30 sec), it started working. A little testing seemed to confirm these to be the correct settings for my ISP. Thanks for the advice and the confirmation PPPoE does work. This was all with the latest firmware, Build 35681 ( 04/06/18 ). Thanks much for a happy ending!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: