External USB JFFS partition for client DB

nev.r00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56    Post subject: External USB JFFS partition for client DB Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

New to the forums here. I just set up a USB drive for JFFS, OPT, swap, and a data partition. I need some guidance on how to enable the JFFS2 Client DB to use the external drive. I've been searching all over and have come up short, so here I am.

Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000P AC2300
DD-WRT Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r34320M kongac

Last edited by nev.r00 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 16:13; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
well first tell us what router and build you are running???
than why you need external DB do you have a lot of DHCP clients on a small size ram router??

i dont think this feature is working anyway
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=13095

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
nev.r00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
well first tell us what router and build you are running???
than why you need external DB do you have a lot of DHCP clients on a small size ram router??

i dont think this feature is working anyway
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=13095

Edited the original with the details requested. Mainly because I have a spare flash drive laying around and wanted to figure out more of the features in DD-WRT. So, really just for fun.
nev.r00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
d0ug wrote:
If you don't create an nvram jffs partition to begin with, I believe that would fix the issue of the nvram jffs mounting before the USB mounts. I believe that /jffs directory is there even if you aren't using nvram jffs since it is part of the read only root partition.

But yes, you may still have some issues with the USB mounting late to the /jffs directory.

I think you misunderstood my point, at least a bit. I'm assuming you DON'T intend to mount /jffs to nvram (i.e., you decide NOT to enable JFFS2 on the Administration page), but rather use USB. IOW, avoid the normal binding of /jffs to nvram, perhaps as a workaround to not being able to change the location of the lease DB. Yes, you can do that, but just beware that it may have negative consequences because if you do bind /jffs to USB rather than letting the system bind /jffs to nvram, /jffs will not be a usable directory until significantly later than had /jffs been bound to nvram.

I see your point, that would make sense as to why it's only available when the /jffs partition is on the nvram.
vdevices
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 17:45    Post subject: Re: External USB JFFS partition for client DB Reply with quote
nev.r00 wrote:
... I just set up a USB drive for JFFS, OPT, swap, and a data partition...

I, too, would like to set up a USB with jffs, opt & swap partitions, but see that the articles on the DD-WRT Wiki haven't been updated in a really long time. Did you find any online sources that are more recent? Or, would you mind sharing what steps you followed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: