OpenDNS dynamic IP update from router

lukasberan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10    Post subject: OpenDNS dynamic IP update from router Reply with quote
Hi.

I have TPLink WR841ND v8 routers for my public WiFi in a hotel. I use OpenDNS for some restrictions. But the problem is that my public IP is dynamic - it changes with every restart of the main router. And I don't have any computer connected to the network to activate the dynamic IP update client https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227987867-What-is-the-OpenDNS-Dynamic-IP-updater-client-

So I am wondering if DD-WRT can do it for me. Is it please possible to set DD-WRT somehow to send updates of my dynamic public IP to OpenDNS?
Sponsor
lukasberan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does DDNS really solve my problem? OpenDNS needs my public IP for setting the right DNS rules and for monitoring - it sets and monitores everything based on the public IP from which the request is sent to their DNS resolvers. Therefore I don't think that DDNS (dynamically associated DNS name to my public IP) will solve this issue. I need to send my public IP to OpenDNS using their dynamic IP feature = the same as does their dynamic IP client updater.
lukasberan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, using DNS name is unfortunatelly not supported. I have to set an IP address or a range of IP addresses. And I have to update this address every time when my address is changed.

They have a client for Windows, Mac and Linux which takes care of the update process - it checks periodically public IP address of the computer (network) and send a new IP address to OpenDNS service. But my network is a network for guests in my hotel. And this network does not have static public IP. So I need to update my public IP periodically in OpenDNS. And I don't have any computer connected to this network, thefore I cannot use their dynamic IP updater client. I need to handover this job to the router directly.

You can read more about it in this article https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227987787

And here is a skript for Mikrotik, therefore I guess I can achieve the same with DD-WRT https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227987847-Mikrotik-WinBox-Dynamic-Update-Script
lukasberan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot! I'll test it and let you know.

And here is also something related Smile https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenDNS#OpenDns_with_DNS-O-Matic_for_users_with_a_Dynamic_IP
lukasberan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll try both options and let you know.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
DNS-O-Matic works for me on an old E2500 running r33986.

dd-wrt updates DNS-O-Matic with IP and DNS-O-Matic updates whomever (multiple services).
Using it for long time and appears to be a smooth seemless process.

In my case I have DNS-O-Matic update DynDNS & OpenDNS (Family Shield) on the E2500 down at the local cafe Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: