Linux SWAP

vdevices
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 18:14    Post subject: Linux SWAP Reply with quote
I would like to add a swap partition. The Linux SWAP article https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linux_SWAP on the DD-WRT Wiki states:

Quote:
It is strongly advised that you do not enable swapping on flash-based drives (internal flash, SD/MMC, USB sticks)

I see that this article has not been updated in a while. Does this recommendation still hold true?

My Netgear R7500v2 has 128 MB Flash memory, 256 MB RAM and two USB 3.0 ports. I'm currently using it as a firewall, NAT, AP and DDNS. I'd like to add a small PBX connected to one of the LAN ports (w/possible QoS) and an IKEv2 VPN.

Is the 256 MB RAM enough? If not, can I go ahead and add a swap partition on a USB 3.0 flash drive? How much swap would you recommend for my intended use case?

vdevices
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 20:59    Post subject: Re: Linux SWAP Reply with quote
Quote:
Flash memory has a limited number of write cycles before it wears out. It is still going to be recommended that you do not create a swap partition in flash memory for these routers.

Got it. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Have you actually tried running everything you would like to run and see if it will run in the memory that you have in your router without swap space?

I have not. Not yet, at least. I only recently purchased a 32 GB USB 3.0 drive, so I am still in the planning phase. I'm new to the Linux and DD-WRT worlds, so I appreciate the help. I downloaded GParted and read the USB Storage article on the DD-WRT Wiki, which has a section that reads:

Quote:
For large HD drives that you "permanently" attach to your router you may want to consider creating three or four partitions:

one: for optware packages - make it 32MB - 2GB - use ext2/3 as the format
two: for swap file - make it 16-256 MB - format it as linux swap file
three: for data space - make it fit the rest of the disk - use ext2/3 or FAT32 as the format
four: for jffs space - make it 32MB - 2GB - use ext2/3 as the format

Then, I came across the following in a Using the integrated webserver tutorial on Kong's blog:

Quote:
1. Preparing USB Storage Device

While it is possible to use the routers flash to host any websites, we are going to use a USB drive in order to store a larger amount of data. Get your usb device ready and partition it with the tool of your choice.

I recommend sat least 2 partitions. First partition should be a swap with ~512MB. For the second partition I recommend a drive with a few gigabytes and filesystem Ext3. When creating the second partition you can label it with the name „Jffs“, thus the integrated automounter will mount it directly to /jffs.

My confusion was further fueled because this blog post seems to suggest that it is okay to use a USB for a swap partition. Given that the USB drive that I bought has 32 GBs, I assumed that I will never fill up all of that storage, so I figured "why not" add a swap partition, if I can.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well you can use a swap partition but as @Doug said it wears out quickly and is also slow.

Attached my notes for setup

DDWRT USB storage support Public.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DDWRT USB storage support Public.doc
 Filesize:  406 KB
 Downloaded:  222 Time(s)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: