Beta download larger than firmware flash?

yourdog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:59    Post subject: Beta download larger than firmware flash? Reply with quote
I'm running into problems flashing my Trendnet TEW-811 to the latest firmware from https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads. Per the router db, this router has 8MB of flash, and updates to any firmware at the above dated 2018-12-04 or later, but newer firmwares seem to fail. Examining them, I noticed that the newer images are larger than 8MB. Is this a known issue with the automated builds not validating the firmware files are a reasonable size, or should I be looking at other reasons for my firmware upgrade failures? If this is not a known issue, can someone point me in the direction for documentation on submitting a bug report?

If I want to try to build a custom firmware based on the same code (trying to disable components I don't need to fit in the 8MB size), is there a current guide worth following, seeing as how I've found a few items in https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Development which appear to be out dated (ie, I should ignore the github link and use the svn to make everything manageable)?

Thanks!
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should post this question in the proper forum - the one for your router. See the stickies.

But there have been cases where the compiled firmware has been too large to fit on the flash chip. I don't know your router so can't say if this is a problem for that router.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use the search forum function to look up threads about your router.
R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: