Why do some people have their panties in a bunch? Interested

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
whatsashell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 22:38    Post subject: Why do some people have their panties in a bunch? Interested Reply with quote
So yeah,

Like the title says. As someone who reads the forums semi often, I noticed some users have soured on the Linksys WRT series. Reading posts, there is no reason why, just a lot of bitterness. So I am asking why? What happened? Can you give me a summary?
Sponsor
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simple. The wrt3200 has been out for 2 years and still not a good feature rich wireless driver. Been over a year just to get a wireless driver that worked most of the time. Only 1 person working on the driver. Marvel, driver owner, does not act like they care. If they did they would have a team working on the issues, not just on person.

Spent 2 years working and testing dd-wrt and lede, but never got a driver that worked well. Went to a Netgear r8000 and it runs circles around the wrt3200 with the latest drivers.

Linksys is on my do not buy or recommend list. Linksys = junk.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 0:31    Post subject: Re: Why do some people have their panties in a bunch? Intere Reply with quote
whatsashell wrote:
So yeah,

Like the title says. As someone who reads the forums semi often, I noticed some users have soured on the Linksys WRT series. Reading posts, there is no reason why, just a lot of bitterness. So I am asking why? What happened? Can you give me a summary?

You have to read this forum and appropriate links more than semi often, to see the issues users have had.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Checkout this thread for some good reading.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=313401

Those of us who have been working with the Linksys WRT's, in my case 3 years, have had enough grief and moved to Asus or Netgear.

whatsashell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, but anything specifically?

Is it crashing on you and rebooting? Is it dropping wifi connections? I have had the 3200 over a year never had these problems. Have you tried any warranty claims?
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
whatsashell wrote:

Is it crashing on you and rebooting? Is it dropping wifi connections? I have had the 3200 over a year never had these problems. Have you tried any warranty claims?

Depending on release of firmware, both OEM and 3rd party, ALL of the above. Usual issue is wifi as the drivers are crap.

I rode the WRT's from the wrt1900ac v1 to a wrt1900acs v1, they have got to be getting better right?, to a wrt3200. None have provided me the stability I want and in some cases, depending on the firmware version, even poor performance. I see none of this with the Netgear r8000 running Kong builds nor with the Netgear r8000p. Both of these routers will run circles around the WRT's on wireless connection speed.

IT is too bad that a router with good specs hardware wise has such crappy firmware. It would appear that the parent company, Belkin, could care less or there would have been more focus on the WRT's from the beginning to get good firmware available, both OEM and 3rd party.

Just read around and you will see you can count yourself lucky and pretty much alone in having a stable router.

LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
whatsashell wrote:

you aren't reading enough. I have been trying with the WRT series since the WRT1900ACv1 came out, I've had a 1900acv1, v2, and 3200acm.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142

when other routers plug in and just work, it's obvious it is a Linksys issue.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ whatsashell You obviously don't like reading.
If you read through these threads as well as visit the "official" linksys forum you would not be asking these questions and you would also know that for nearly every setup there are different requirements, what works for you may not work for someone else doing something slightly different could change everything. Unless all of your settings are identical and you have the same ISP.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
@LookingForMyMojo "when other routers plug in and just work, it's obvious it is a Linksys issue."

Yes Mojo it is a Linksys issue, but I really think it was there decision to get in bed with Unmarvelous !!!

If they had went with any other chip maker they might have had a better outcome !!!

Netgear, Asus, and many others aren't have near as many
problems as the Wrt series but they don't have those
marvelous chip's in their equipment either.

In the end it was Linksys fault for picking a bed partner with Std's. lol

Router: LinksysWRT3200Acm{RIP}
Router: Linksys EA8500 kongat r35030m (Vpn)
Router: Netgear X4S kongat r35965M
Vpn: IpVanish
Unbrick your 3200acm with usb to ttl cable: https://tinyurl.com/y9azvrkg
whatsashell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon wrote:
@ whatsashell You obviously don't like reading.

You come to this conclusion because I asked a question to summarize the problems you are having into a concise articulate form of communication? Is this a joke, or do you just post because you have nothing better to do?

I don't have time and neither does anyone else that has the knowledge to fix your issues to sift through garbage posts after garbage post of nothing useful technically, just people copy and pasting linux commands and have no idea what they do...lol

Well, don't be surprised if anyone with the actual knowledge to help you doesn't with that attitude.
whatsashell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
whatsashell wrote:

Depending on release of firmware, both OEM and 3rd party, ALL of the above. Usual issue is wifi as the drivers are crap.

I rode the WRT's from the wrt1900ac v1 to a wrt1900acs v1, they have got to be getting better right?, to a wrt3200. None have provided me the stability I want and in some cases, depending on the firmware version, even poor performance. I see none of this with the Netgear r8000 running Kong builds nor with the Netgear r8000p. Both of these routers will run circles around the WRT's on wireless connection speed.

IT is too bad that a router with good specs hardware wise has such crappy firmware. It would appear that the parent company, Belkin, could care less or there would have been more focus on the WRT's from the beginning to get good firmware available, both OEM and 3rd party.

Just read around and you will see you can count yourself lucky and pretty much alone in having a stable router.

Yes but what are the usual Wifi issues? I have the 3200 and don't have any issues.

Are you talking DHCP issues? Are you talking SSL handshake issues? Are you talking freq. interference issues? Even going through those posts nobody is posting logs or anything that would be helpful to troubleshoot any problems?

For example if I had a problem the first place I would post is here with a detailed log attached:

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
whatsashell wrote:
myersw wrote:
whatsashell wrote:

Yes but what are the usual Wifi issues? I have the 3200 and don't have any issues.

Are you talking DHCP issues? Are you talking SSL handshake issues? Are you talking freq. interference issues? Even going through those posts nobody is posting logs or anything that would be helpful to troubleshoot any problems?

For example if I had a problem the first place I would post is here with a detailed log attached:

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues

There are and have been many WiFi issues nearly countless ones.
As I said YOU DON'T LIKE READING!
So you are whining about random people won't stop what they're doing and write you a convenient synopsis?
GTFO

Most everyone who is commenting has been involved in the GIT for far longer then you've been a member here.
You are out of line, maybe stop posting until you get your shit in one basket.

ROFLMAO go look at your own link to the git you posted, my posts are all over the place there as well as are two others who you just quoted how could you possibly be more Ignorant?
All you have to do is READ!

Last edited by aairon on Sun Feb 18, 2018 21:20; edited 2 times in total
whatsashell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon wrote:

Such a shame, it's trolls like you that make having an intelligent conversation on public forums next to impossible now a days. Maybe that forum title got to your head, and you think you actually know something?...lol

Ignoring the obvious troll.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
whatsashell wrote:
aairon wrote:

Such a shame, it's trolls like you that make having an intelligent conversation on public forums next to impossible now a days. Maybe that forum title got to your head, and you think you actually know something?...lol

Taking the ten year old child route, calling dissenting views trolling, good on ya youngster you didn't let me down.
P.S. try READING it's FUNDAMENTAL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon wrote:
whatsashell wrote:
aairon wrote:

Taking the ten year old child route, calling dissenting views trolling, good on ya youngster you didn't let me down.
P.S. try READING it's FUNDAMENTAL

Do you even see the way you interact with people is wrong? Or can you not figure that out as well?...lol

Such a shame. Oh well. feel free to not post in this thread anymore if it bothers you, we'll all be better off for it.

No wonder people with any knowledge don't bother posting and helping out, it's not worth the hassle, because of trolls like you with nothing better to do.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: