ProFTPD NAS option not allowing logins

g711
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 20:17    Post subject: ProFTPD NAS option not allowing logins Reply with quote
Hi all,

I am attempting to set up FTP sharing to a USB drive attached to my router and mounted as /opt (which works fine). I want to use the simple username/passsword list option instead of a radius server to allow multiple different users to log in to different access points, but so far I have not been able to get it to work. Under the NAS tab I enabled ProFTPD, left the server port at 21, disabled anonymous, and set authentication to "use password list". I then made a new share on /opt with subdir /backup and name backup. (I've tried flipping the 'public' switch on and off). I then added a new user called 'testuser' with password 'password' and gave it access to the 'backup' share and checked the 'ftp' option. The resulting proftpd.conf looks like:

Code:
ServerName      DD-WRT
DefaultAddress  10.100.100.1
ServerType      standalone
DefaultServer   on
ScoreboardFile  /tmp/proftpd/etc/proftpd.scoreboard
Port            21
Umask           022
MaxInstances    10
MaxLoginAttempts 3
User            root
Group           root
UseReverseDNS   off
IdentLookups    off
RootLogin       on
AllowOverwrite  on
AllowRetrieveRestart  on
AllowStoreRestart  on
<Limit WRITE>
  DenyAll
</Limit>
<Limit SITE_CHMOD>
  DenyAll
</Limit>
DelayEngine     off
WtmpLog         off
DefaultRoot     ~
<Directory      "~/backup">
  <Limit WRITE>
    AllowAll
  </Limit>
</Directory>
AuthUserFile    /tmp/proftpd/etc/passwd

It also makes a fakey /etc/passwd file that looks like:

Code:
root@r8000:/etc# cat /tmp/proftpd/etc/passwd
testuser:$1$LB.idcJ9$xkvL1VOX0MzPu7BvaktsS1:0:0:Ftp User,,,:/tmp/proftpd/users/testuser:/bin/sh

However, when I attempt to log in (using ncftp from a linux box), I'm always met with "login incorrect":

Code:
me@my-w550s:~$ ncftp 10.111.1.1 -utestuser -ppassword
NcFTP 3.2.5 (Feb 02, 2011) by Mike Gleason (http://www.NcFTP.com/contact/).
Connecting to 10.100.100.1...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
ProFTPD Server (DD-WRT) [10.100.100.1]
Login incorrect.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Sleeping 20 seconds...   

I've attempted to reach 10.100.100.1, 10.100.100.1/backup, 10.100.100.1/opt/backup but it's always the same error. However, if I enable anonymous logins, I'm able to reach it, so I imagine the problem has something either to do with my user setup or the specific URI for the share?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Screenshot from 2018-02-21 15-03-29.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.5 KB
 Viewed:  3401 Time(s)

Screenshot from 2018-02-21 15-03-29.png

Sponsor
g711
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
As a bit of an update, I found that if I manually edited /tmp/proftpd/etc/proftpd.conf and changed the auto-generated

RootLogin on

to

RootLogin off

I was then able to log in. So apparently even though I'm using the user/password list, it thinks all users are root users (which may or may not be correct, I have no idea).

Unfortunately I don't know how to make that change persist across reboots yet -- and of course the proper thing to do would be to figure out how to make those NAS users not appear to be root users to proftpd in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: