RE SFTP and SSH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
adriansuri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 23:42    Post subject: RE SFTP and SSH Reply with quote
HI all

Iv'e just upgraded to Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r35244 std (03/05/1Cool

I had been using BitviseSSH Client to connect which would open an ssh session, as well as an SFtp session, but since upgrading to the latest version sftp has stoped working, any ideas (see image)

While doing this I thought it might be a good idea, as I have found lots of people trying to ssh
into my router from China, Ukraine, USA etc to use a publickey/privatekey instead, any tutorials on this?

Kind Regards and thanks for all the developers hard working

Adrian
Sponsor
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use the Authorized Key file for ssh with putty and its no longer working over the WAN with latest build. It had worked that way for years with numerous dd-wrt routers and builds but something is broken in this build. I rolled back to r34929 (on the other partition) and ssh is working again. Thanks for pointing this out, I’m guessing if you have dd-wrt on both partitions and you switch to previous partition that will resolve your issue as well. Thanks again for posting

EDIT: Typos
adriansuri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks really appreciate that, by the way I assume using
Authorized Key file is more secure than a simple password, do you know of any
tutorials on this

Regards

Adrian
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
For Windows, use Puttygen to generate the keys.

Put the Public Key into Services->Secure Shell->Authorized Keys in the router's GUI.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
adriansuri wrote:
Thanks really appreciate that, by the way I assume using
Authorized Key file is more secure than a simple password, do you know of any
tutorials on this

Regards

Adrian

I would say the Authorized Key option does add another level of security. Check youtube, if you just want to access the router with the keyfile and putty that’s pretty straightforward as posted above but it really depends on your objective. I have a few different sessions stored in putty. For example one session is for Remote Desktop and another for Portable FireFox (on flash drive) to circumvent web filtering used by some institutions.

On the Remote Desktop & portable Firefox sessions I had to configure the ports used in putty under ssh\tunnels. For the Proxy session you just need the port but for RD you need to target the local IP and configure the port. If you are a Windows user and you wanted to do Remote Desktop over the Wan with putty(on the remote system) you would then enter something "like" localhost:1234 into the Remote system instead of an local IP such as 192.168.1.2, the Putty session would then direct the RD request to 192.168.1.2:3389 which would be the target IP and RD port.

This all assumes you have the correct session info entered for the WAN host name (or DDNS entry) for site name and matching SSH Remote Ports for both putty and dd-wrt. It also assumes wherever you trying to remote in from do not have the ssh port blocked you are trying to use
adriansuri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:52    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote
Hi

Thanks for all the help Got it working, might make a youtube vid on it... But given the number of attempted ssh logins, it seemed a good idea to tighten up security

As for Sftp I might leave it to the next release as this (and this is bassed on only a short trail) seems more stable and picks up my sata nas drives

Anyway thanks

Adrian
popoviciri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may use SCP for file transfers. Don't know exactly how you choose it in bitvise (perhaps somewhere in the sftp tab in your screenshot). I use totalcommander's sftp plugin and enabling "use SCP for everything (no sftp)" restored the file transfer functionality over ssh, with this build.
cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: