pfSense ON DD-WRT Router?

ere109
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:20    Post subject: pfSense ON DD-WRT Router? Reply with quote
As my home network has grown, and as cyber security becomes a much bigger issue, I've started to worry about my computers and data inside my LAN. After doing some reading, it sounds like a pfsense box connected directly to the incoming connection tightens security tremendously.
So, is it possible to install pfSemse within a DD-WRT router? Would the two work together or have major conflicts?
It would be convenient to add extra security without building another box. Thoughts? Attempts?
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that you need to clarify your question a bit.

pfsense is made for x86 and arm processors, most of the home consumer routers that dd-wrt is loaded on are not supported or would not have enough space. Pfsense is router software (BSD based) and DD-WRT is router software (Linux based) so what you are suggesting is running two operating systems. THis could cause problems.

On the same box, unless they are both virtuallized, this would never work.

Just buy/build a pfsense box and then connect a dd-wrt flashed router to it.
ere109
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that pfSense was just an application that sat on top of an OS - my bad for not reading far enough into it.

In that case, I'll check my router collection for something with the right hardware - assuming pfSense is able to communicate with broadcomm wireless drivers, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: