Degrading quality of software

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
sympthom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 13:11    Post subject: Degrading quality of software Reply with quote
I've been using dd-wrt since 2014. I like the project very much and have the software installed om my r7000 and my r9000. However I do experience a degrading quality since 2016. Bigger and bigger features are not delivered opon. In this last update, the dhcp through the radio didn't work. I still use release 05-19-2016-r29739 since later releases is to buggy for usage.
Sponsor
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ sympthom,
Only last few builds have some issues like dhcp and wireless related.
For R7000 you can update to build any 2018 Jan/feb builds. should work pretty good.

For R9000, 2018, march 20 build should work fine. the stable builds start from August 2017 onwards, nothing in 2016.
When you have issues please report on appropriate threads and list it out with specific details.

QNAP QSW-1208-8C 12-Port 10GbE Switch
XS712T ProSafe 12-Port 10GbE Switch
3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ur not wrong,i too see this, our lead dev seemingly doesnt care anymore, he literally, calls most issues "bullshit" (search back, im not lying), then proceeds to fix some of those issues 10 mins later. apparently once he actually LOOKS at the issues for something longer than 2 seconds (oops i reproduced, and hes right maybe its not bullshit). i think our main issue is brainslayer doesnt look at support tickets, he doesnt test them, yes there is bogus crap tickets with no info for a dev to attempt a fix, but i know mine arent. and many others provide all the info a end user can, we get ignored constantly.

i been here since 2010 and still here cause i have to be, i dont have an alternative.. there is none. from what i see, our only other dev, kong, cant commit something without it being reverted by brainslayer, and kong is the only one trying to look into ddwrt's worst issues, being qos, and other stuff relating around r7800/r7500v2 (ipq).

kong volunteers, brainslayer is paid.

someone is probably going to quote me and say how im whining its free software and try to use that against me etc..

its not the lack of fixes thats ruining it, its the lack of attention and acknowledgement of current issues. we are shrugged off like idiots "u dont know what ur talking about, ur wrong, works for me etc" THAT. is what burns..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
...i been here since 2010 and still here cause i have to be, i dont have an alternative.. there is none. ...

That's exactly what chancellor Angela Merkel says, but since 2005 ;- ) SCNR

Seriously, why are you bound?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 19:57    Post subject: Re: Degrading quality of software Reply with quote
sympthom wrote:
I've been using dd-wrt since 2014. I like the project very much and have the software installed om my r7000 and my r9000. However I do experience a degrading quality since 2016. Bigger and bigger features are not delivered opon. In this last update, the dhcp through the radio didn't work. I still use release 05-19-2016-r29739 since later releases is to buggy for usage.

Using ddwrt from 2014 but just created the account to only make the exact same post on 2 threads about your "dissapointment" with ddwrt quality? How did you contribute on this FREE project over the years? Did you share your setting, experience, posting what's working and what's not, helping other users, thanking the Devs when you're running a good build? Or even Donated?? Only last build got over 400 compiles for all devices in 48 hours and fixed dnsmasq. There are 14 builds from the beginning of this year, again each over 400 compiles for all devices. Can even get a recent ddwrt build on the WRT54G which started this all. And that's an over 15 years old device!
Ddwrt is a business, too. It is true that ddwrt large dedicated and knowledgeable user base is also an invaluable good testers base, but users are getting back a very good FREE software to run their routers on and transforming them in very capable network devices.
DDWRT is Great! Thanks Devs!
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doppel-D wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
...i been here since 2010 and still here cause i have to be, i dont have an alternative.. there is none. ...

That's exactly what chancellor Angela Merkel says, but since 2005 ;- ) SCNR

Seriously, why are you bound?

no alternatives.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:

no alternatives.

Yes, I agree with you.
Idea Known devils are better than the unknown angels.
Having used dd-wrt so long. I'm being here since 2009. from the days of wrt54g and
my account was reset by some mod few years back which is why my (re)join date is 2015 Sad
I don't think I can switch back to OEM firmwares anymore Sad

3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
well... there are always ups'n downs...its called DEVELOPMENT...
since i started back in the days of DIR-615 era, (and yes there are good builds and there are bad builds), for some reason wright at the start i got into a troubles... good lord D165 was easy to repair/recover, until i bricked it with a bad build again and it died...
I don't blame the DEV's as they warned us in advance and its a test and report situation...
since then I learned few things how to.., learned how before i update and complain i must follow the build report threads....first...

Of course when there are a new driver updates and fiddles with new code there are always errors reported and more fiddling and so on, so my advise is learn and read pays the effort...

I also do find it, sad and frustrating to see some forum members reports been going on forever and those "issues" are not mended or there is no way around...
I can see some of the reports concern very particular scenarios and they are not very common, while some error reports are really due to be fixed...
I understand its not an easy job to bias all that shit and make it up and running....
So i'm kind of thankful to the DEV's ...so far so good i haven't found alternative to it...and its working ...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
teslacoil
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have DD-WRT running on a few routers in WDS mode. The plan is to eventually replace the WDR3600 running as a wireless AP with: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro The router I'm currently using is this: https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x DD-WRT is not something you use in the enterprise. It's designed for consumer-grade hardware and it's quite buggy and has always been buggy. Part of the problem is the drivers which come from the OpenWRT project which DD-WRT uses are buggy and because of that, DD-WRT suffers. There are alternatives out there like what I listed above if you want to take your home network to the next level. DD-WRT and OpenWRT are great projects for consumer-grade routers but expecting enterprise-level reliability and performance is not realistic.

I also think it's not appropriate to try to shut down people who express their dissatisfaction for the buginess of DD-WRT. Forums are open spaces for communication, and a rebuttle of "...it's free, so shut up or pack up" is not a very intelligent response. People are allowed to dictate their gripes and concerns about FOSS, which help the project in the end by making it better. Using the excuse that libre software can't be criticized while commercial software can is not logical. Free software advacates whine all day long about how they want the world to be using FOSS, but the second someone complains about bugs they turn into serial SJW's and cry bloody murder. Grow the fuck up.

If you want to boost your home network to the next level, stop being a cheap ass and go buy enterprise-grade gear. I know people who spend hundreds of dollars on drinks at bars in a month, and then they play victim about how they have no money to buy anything else and act like anything computer-related is out of their reach because they never have any money. Well, if they were to stop buying mixed drinks for a month or two, their home network and computers wouldn't be such a piece of shit. Juniper, MikroTik, and other brands are all choices you may utilize to boost up your home network to the next level. DD-WRT and OpenWRT are great projects for giving all the bells and whistles to consumer-grade networking equipment. If I ever get a hold of a consumer-grade router, my first intention is to flash either of the latter onto it to turn it into a powerhouse. To sum it up, there is a colossal networking world that exists outside of the DD-WRT community, being a very interesting one full of users, engineers and hobbyists. Thinking outside of the box opens up new avenues and a new world of knowledge and skills.
oraculo666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm looking into replacing my main router with a PFSense box and configuring all my routers as simple access points until I can replace them with ubiquiti access points and POE switch. Consumer routers are getting more and more expensive as time goes by and other options are getting cheaper.
DD_WRT has been great for me and I've been using it since my first wrt-54gs, but these days it packs too many functions and tries to be compatible with too many different boxes and manufacturers. It must be a nightmare to maintain and develop it.

teslacoil
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Consumer routers these days are like a race to the bottom and the prices just keep climbing for features people are never ever going to see and have advertised speeds users are never going to get. I have had my heyday with DD-WRT. You are right about the enterprise-grade gear coming down in price, as we are now at a time in history where it can be attained for equal to or less than a higher-end prosumer router.

For instance, you can pick up a Ubiquiti ER-X for around 50 bucks on Amazon, and pair it with the AP AC Lite or AP AC Pro Access Point. 50 bucks for the ER-X, and you get a Dual-Core 880 MHz, MIPS1004Kc processor, 256 MB DDR3 RAM and 256 MB NAND storage. So 50 bucks for the router, and about 80 bucks for the AC Lite, and gone is the buginess of DD-WRT and broken builds rendering your consumer router useless and breaking your entire network for hours.

Essentially it's like buying yourself time in the future. DD-WRT really has to get its act together if they want this project to be a viable one in the long-term future. I know people are moving over to the Ubiquiti stuff in droves; just look on any networking forum and it's full of interest. So the writing is on the wall. The point is that enterprise gear has drastically fallen in price, the feature set and hardware is really great, the GUI's are great, and the performance of the hardware is very good. So either DD-WRT becomes relegated to some dusty old project full of bugs that people once remembered running on the WRT54G as making that a powerhouse, or people throw in the towel. Years ago the Ubiquiti stuff didn't exist. Now it does. Get the point? All I see in the forum threads is broken build after broken build and bricked routers.
Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:07    Post subject: For me dd-wrt is like a Zombie Reply with quote
dead, but still on his feet ;- )

Keep on, dead man walkin.....I appreciate and respect that you are still walking, but.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
teslacoil wrote:
I have DD-WRT running on a few routers in WDS mode. The plan is to eventually replace the WDR3600 running as a wireless AP with: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro The router I'm currently using is this: https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x DD-WRT is not something you use in the enterprise. It's designed for consumer-grade hardware and it's quite buggy and has always been buggy. Part of the problem is the drivers which come from the OpenWRT project which DD-WRT uses are buggy and because of that, DD-WRT suffers. There are alternatives out there like what I listed above if you want to take your home network to the next level. DD-WRT and OpenWRT are great projects for consumer-grade routers but expecting enterprise-level reliability and performance is not realistic.

I also think it's not appropriate to try to shut down people who express their dissatisfaction for the buginess of DD-WRT. Forums are open spaces for communication, and a rebuttle of "...it's free, so shut up or pack up" is not a very intelligent response. People are allowed to dictate their gripes and concerns about FOSS, which help the project in the end by making it better. Using the excuse that libre software can't be criticized while commercial software can is not logical. Free software advacates whine all day long about how they want the world to be using FOSS, but the second someone complains about bugs they turn into serial SJW's and cry bloody murder. Grow the fuck up.

If you want to boost your home network to the next level, stop being a cheap ass and go buy enterprise-grade gear. I know people who spend hundreds of dollars on drinks at bars in a month, and then they play victim about how they have no money to buy anything else and act like anything computer-related is out of their reach because they never have any money. Well, if they were to stop buying mixed drinks for a month or two, their home network and computers wouldn't be such a piece of shit. Juniper, MikroTik, and other brands are all choices you may utilize to boost up your home network to the next level. DD-WRT and OpenWRT are great projects for giving all the bells and whistles to consumer-grade networking equipment. If I ever get a hold of a consumer-grade router, my first intention is to flash either of the latter onto it to turn it into a powerhouse. To sum it up, there is a colossal networking world that exists outside of the DD-WRT community, being a very interesting one full of users, engineers and hobbyists. Thinking outside of the box opens up new avenues and a new world of knowledge and skills.

I have UBNT, Mikrotik and Cisco APs but they run anything but stable, my R7800s and R7000 with DD-WRT do much better.
Basically most of the UBNTs I use also run with DD-WRT. UBNT has some great accessories, antennae etc. but their fw does not impress me, I had the most support work with UBNT and Mikrotik and inside those routers is the same hw you see in consumer routers, most of the times hw that is behind by one development cycle.

At work for example I need 1Gbps true wireless throughput I don't know any enterprise router right now that can do that, but my R7800s do it, which allows us to really transfer large amounts of data wirelessly.

Where I can agree with you is, that BS releases are unpredictable.

If you need a 100% stable router, then you need to build your own fw, which I do and thus it runs 100% stable in my scenarios, where other enterprise products also fail, because no fw is bug free.

Buying enterprise means buying superior support,and enterprise features, in a lot of cases this does not mean, that you buy a fully stable product.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
OpenWRT has improved by leaps and bounds since the LEDE fork, and now that it's consolidated back into the original brand it's back on track. You guys should give one of the development snapshots it a try sometime.

It's been giving me much better results and stability on QCA9558/9563 based routers lately. Weeks of uptime without slowdown and great wireless performance for what they are...

But I agree enterprise grade stuff is becoming more attractive and more affordable each day... I know once my routers die I'll certainly look at those options instead of going for another consumer grade one + aftermarket firmware.
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

At work for example I need 1Gbps true wireless throughput I don't know any enterprise router right now that can do that, but my R7800s do it, which allows us to really transfer large amounts of data wirelessly.

I was never able to get more than 700mbps. Averages between 600 to 700mbps using iperf3 runs
Between WDS-AP WDS-STA setup routers R9000-R9000 and R9000-R7800 using VHT160, quad stream Sad

3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: