Major DNS issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
paxweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:39    Post subject: Major DNS issues Reply with quote
Hi all, I just recently bought an Asus RT-AC66U (B2 I think) and flashed with DD-WRT v3.0-r35681 (AC68u firmware, only one I could get to stick). So all that aside, I have a huge problem.

Website hosted at: 192.168.X.100 (publicly visible at www.website.com)

Any computer within LAN (ie 192.168.X.X) when accessing the site via WAN, the IP address is registering in the web server logs as the ip address of the router (192.168.X.10) instead of the WAN address it should be. I had a linksys router before, never had any issues like this. I have tried altering all kinds of settings, no change.

I'd be grateful for any help anyone might have to offer.
Sponsor
paxweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is really ridiculous. I flashed this router with dd-wrt because I thought it would be such an improvement from the out-of-the box stuff, and it's became the biggest most inexplicable mess ever. I have tried every DNS setting under the sun, and there is no logical explanation as to why my ROUTER IP address would be showing up when accessing the website from the domain name, not a local IP.

Just about ready to restore back to the box firmware and call it a day.
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
You flashed your router with a firmware not intended for your router and now you complain that it doesn’t work??
Check the build threads for a fw that others report works well for your router and flash the correct version.

Asus AC-68U rev. A1 on Build 53339
paxweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, I suppose. I would like you to know that I DID in fact research this and even checking with the wiki page, it states to flash 68u, not 66u, because this revision of the Asus AC66U does not like to allow people to flash other firmware. So I was merely doing like I had read. Please don't be harsh if not everyone is as brilliant as you. Everything else has worked fine, btw, I'm just really confused that this internal router IP is showing up when accessing an internally hosted website from the WAN URL.

Not really sure you helped me but thanks anyways.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt it has anything to do with DNS.

It is more likely a NAT loopback problem.

When accessing the server from the internet is the public IP displayed or do you only see the routers's IP?

If so you can try to disable NAT loopback (tick filter WAN NAT redirection on security tab) and add following firewalll rule to enable WAN NAT redirection again but without the masquerading of the public IP from outside:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 192.168.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to 192.168.0.10

I have not tested it so no guarantees

Edit: of course you need the right firmware and a full reset to defaults Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
paxweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply,egc. I've learned a lot since my last update.

My ISP is Comcast. Previous router was a Linksys WRT-54GS router (which I believe is running a flavor of DD-WRT).

With this Linksys router, IP (WAN, mind you) was almost a static IP of 98.2XX.XXX.XXX. Now, I go and get a new router, the Asus RT-AC66U-B1, which is what, wireless G/N/AC or something of the sort...

Now, my WAN assigned from Comcast is 27.1XX.XXX.XXX, totally different than before. When I was using the old router, using the 98 IP range, no problems. My web server log showed me accessing from the external facing 98- IP address. Now, when assigned an IP in the 27- range, it is reporting my external facing IP address (when accessing the site which is hosted on my LAN) as the router IP address (192.168.X.X). Just for the hell of it, I removed DD-WRT, reflashed with Asus's crap and SAME thing occurred. So it seems this is NOT an issue with DD-WRT as much as it is either Comcast and/or the Router.

Interestingly enough, if I go and reboot cable modem and reconnect the old Linksys Router, I am once again assigned an IP of 98.2XX.XXX.XXX. I'm baffled. Even spent an hour of my life talking to Comcast about it, with nothing but bewilderment on the tech's end as well.

What do you think could be going on here? Definitely seems to be some sort of weird loop-back issue to me. But is it the router, or Comcast, or both? Egc, I will try your advice and see if that helps and report back. Thanks again.
lazardo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
paxweb wrote:
Interestingly enough, if I go and reboot cable modem and reconnect the old Linksys Router, I am once again assigned an IP of 98.2XX.XXX.XXX. I'm baffled. Even spent an hour of my life talking to Comcast about it, with nothing but bewilderment on the tech's end as well.

What do you think could be going on here? Definitely seems to be some sort of weird loop-back issue to me. But is it the router, or Comcast, or both? Egc, I will try your advice and see if that helps and report back. Thanks again.

Its just the way dynamic addressing works with comcast and most ISPs. Typically I'll only get a new IP addr if I switch routers or sometimes a power grid flap.

In GUI, Setup -> MAC Address Clone, then copy the old router's MAC. You may have to also power cycle your cable modem.

Also, breathe once in a while. dd-wrt is a kind of rare gift where part of its nature is the experimantal side. If a bit of chaos is uncomfortable stick with stock and good luck.

Cheers
paxweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you, lazardo. Your solution was almost a stroke of genius!

I did as you said, and lo and behold, I got the previous IP of 98.2XX.XXX.XXX. I was SO excited, then I checked my external ip in the web server log and my heart sank to see that once again, my "external" ip is showing up as the IP address of the router!

Conclusion: It is in fact the Asus Router. It is obviously a total piece of S**T and will be returned shortly. (One of the WiFi indicator lights already no longer lights, as an indicator of such. 3 days old too!)

Any advices on a reputable reliable router that works as it should?
lazardo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
paxweb wrote:
Thank you, lazardo. Your solution was almost a stroke of genius!

I did as you said, and lo and behold, I got the previous IP of 98.2XX.XXX.XXX. I was SO excited, then I checked my external ip in the web server log and my heart sank to see that once again, my "external" ip is showing up as the IP address of the router!

Conclusion: It is in fact the Asus Router. It is obviously a total piece of S**T and will be returned shortly. (One of the WiFi indicator lights already no longer lights, as an indicator of such. 3 days old too!)

Any advices on a reputable reliable router that works as it should?
Did you reboot the comcast side also? Sometimes this takes a second time.

There's nothing faulty with the router. dd-wrt firmware is sometimes very particular about hardware version, eg 'B1 vs B2', because manufacturers regularly change out chips, memory, bootloaders, addresses, etc.

google 'dd-wrt broadcom rt-ac66u B1' in the past years and read till you start seeing patterns.

Cheers,
paxweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lazardo -
I did indeed reboot comcast. I appreciate your remarks and help, but I truly think this is an issue of the router. The reason for this being that it replicated this odd behavior when using the stock firmware as well. At any rate, I'm already in the process of returning the router and plan to try again with a different one, probably not an Asus. How are the newer Linksys routers? I'm open to suggestions, if there are any particular models that really get along nicely with dd-wrt.

Thanks again for your help.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
paxweb wrote:
Lazardo -
I did indeed reboot comcast. I appreciate your remarks and help, but I truly think this is an issue of the router. The reason for this being that it replicated this odd behavior when using the stock firmware as well. At any rate, I'm already in the process of returning the router and plan to try again with a different one, probably not an Asus. How are the newer Linksys routers? I'm open to suggestions, if there are any particular models that really get along nicely with dd-wrt.

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry you are having issues. I do not recommend Linksys myself. The WRT's that you can load 3rd party on are, IMHO, garbage. Don't think you can load 3rd party on the others. Someone feel free to correct me if this is not true. Spent 3 frustrating years with them before going the Netgear route. Much better experience. r7800 is a great router. The Asus AC86U is good also, but can only run Asus or RMerlin firmware on them.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Delete
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.

Last edited by myersw on Tue Apr 17, 2018 15:12; edited 1 time in total
paxweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your input. Definitely doing a lot of asking around and research. Even moreso appreciated coming from a fellow Michigander Smile SW MI here.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you want to use DD-WRT and all of its features don't even
bother with anything other than Netgear R7000 or R7800 so far IMO
they are the best price/performance value routers with great DD-WRT support by KONG the main developer for Netgear DD-WRT branch both have decent specs and great WIFI range...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
paxweb wrote:
I truly think this is an issue of the router. The reason for this being that it replicated this odd behavior when using the stock firmware as well.
The stock firmware could simply handle loopback the same way as recent DD builds. I recall the stock Asus f/w also has a loopback toggle (or whatever they call it; loopback/hairpin/redirection/etc). The DD GUI option is 'Filter WAN NAT Redirection' but doesn't work in some builds, requiring iptables rules, per egc. Guess we'll see what happens with your next router. Smile

What build was on the working WRT54GS? Different era DD-WRT builds also handled it much differently. E.g.:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=987517#987517
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=89353

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: