USB Tether Android S4 Verizon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
jagster936
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10    Post subject: USB Tether Android S4 Verizon Reply with quote
This works fine on my PC, so I know it works. I have scowered the internet for hours without much luck, to a modern method to make this work on most up to date firmware.

Is there an easy way? There is mobile broadband options in the WAN section of WWDRT, also Iphone connection. I tried both and enabled USB options and the JSAFF or whatever and nothing worked. I know it can't be that hard, or it's just beyond my knowledge. Please advise thx!
Sponsor
Skreelink
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 16:19    Post subject: Re: USB Tether Android S4 Verizon Reply with quote
jagster936 wrote:
This works fine on my PC, so I know it works. I have scowered the internet for hours without much luck, to a modern method to make this work on most up to date firmware.

Is there an easy way? There is mobile broadband options in the WAN section of WWDRT, also Iphone connection. I tried both and enabled USB options and the JSAFF or whatever and nothing worked. I know it can't be that hard, or it's just beyond my knowledge. Please advise thx!

I've used my phone to tether when my cable goes down before. I don't have to change anything in the WAN section, just make sure USB and ssh is enabled.

Reboot the router, make sure there's no cable in the WAN port. Ensure your PC has connection to the router and connect via ssh (you can likely also do it in the "commands" section under the admin tab).

Hook your phone up to the router, turn on USB tethering, then use these commands:

Quote:
insmod mii.ko
insmod usbnet
insmod cdc_ether
insmod rndis_host

ifconfig usb0 up
udhcpc -i usb0
iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface usb0 -j MASQUERADE

I cobbled these together from around the internet until it worked for me consistently. My first success I had posted over on HoFo, as there was some big debacle about if Cricket's unlimited plan at 8Mbps was enough. Post can be found here. Of course, this means no port forwarding... I did find out, however, that Verizon DOES have open ports. I was able to run a webserver and other servers on my Droid X long ago, and it accepted connections. I've not found a way to port forward, but just a neat thing I noticed. All other carriers are through proxies, so no open ports at all.

I've tested an LG G3, Nexus 6, and Nexus 6p with a WRT1900ACv1.
jagster936
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, yea it didn't work with USB enabled only.

I'll try those commands, do you know if they work on OpenWRT? I no longer am running DDWRT, and returned that router. I only use one sleek device now. Running the MOFI SIM4 router with verizon, TTL set to 4 on the modem settings. It's pretty powerful and tons of great options, way more than cradlepoint even, with less than half the cost. I'm super impressed. It makes all my devices fast WITHOUT VPN! Computer, however, will throttle at times. But turn VPN on and throttle is gone. Only deprioritzation sometimes. So Verizon appears to look at TTL and packet content.

Yea not sure how that works, I connect to Verizon through their NAT. Public ip is different than what the modem obtains.

The MOFI router doesn't easily run VPN on it natively but they are working on working out bugs in openVPN in expressVPN. It will run PUREVPN, but I don't trust that outfit too much. Express is one of best

THx!
Skreelink
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
jagster936 wrote:
Hmm, yea it didn't work with USB enabled only.

I'll try those commands, do you know if they work on OpenWRT? I no longer am running DDWRT, and returned that router. I only use one sleek device now. Running the MOFI SIM4 router with verizon, TTL set to 4 on the modem settings. It's pretty powerful and tons of great options, way more than cradlepoint even, with less than half the cost. I'm super impressed. It makes all my devices fast WITHOUT VPN! Computer, however, will throttle at times. But turn VPN on and throttle is gone. Only deprioritzation sometimes. So Verizon appears to look at TTL and packet content.

Yea not sure how that works, I connect to Verizon through their NAT. Public ip is different than what the modem obtains.

The MOFI router doesn't easily run VPN on it natively but they are working on working out bugs in openVPN in expressVPN. It will run PUREVPN, but I don't trust that outfit too much. Express is one of best

THx!

I haven't tried OpenWRT on anything, so I can't vouch for it, sorry. But if you test it, please let us know if it works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: