udhcpc command crashing WebGUI (Kong)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
phillil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10    Post subject: udhcpc command crashing WebGUI (Kong) Reply with quote
Hi there,

I am running Kong build 34900M on a Netgear R7800 router and am using the udhcpc command (in WebGUI shell) in order to make a connection to SKY FIBRE ISP

I am connecting via a Hauwei BG612 modem

My DD-WRT is very standard and I haven't made any changes after a "factory reset" from within the DD-WRT WebGUI

However when I execute the udhcpc command, the WebGUI crashes - the only way to recover is to power off the router.

The command is pretty standard, and I've copied from what many other people have used;

udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -x 0x3d:3132333435363738393130313140736b7964736c7c3839613132333435 &

The long hex bit is a generic sky username and password

Once up and running, the router shows no other signs of problems. Internet and wireless performance is very good

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
try this command via CLI (telnet or SSh)
although i do not understand this command may be GUI has a fixed limit of characters while telnet/ssh has not i guess..
or just try a new build..
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/Test/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
phillil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
try this command via CLI (telnet or SSh)
although i do not understand this command may be GUI has a fixed limit of characters while telnet/ssh has not i guess..
or just try a new build..
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/Test/

thanks for the reply.

I don't think it's a limitation of the command shell, because the command actually does what it is supposed to - ie it successfully connects to SKY FIBRE

The fact is crashes isn't a major problem....
However I wanted to add the command to startup, so that if the internet went down when I wasn't at home, the wife/kids could just unplug the router, and it would reconnect at startup.
I am worried that it I DO put the command in startup, the WebGUI will always be in a crashed state...

I will however try the latest Kong build
jasonkruys
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had that command in startup for years now. Working fine on all the Kong builds I have tried, and I have tried almost every one in the last year or so on the R7800. Worked on my R7000 before that.

I have to say, I have never tried it in the command section - always been i startup for me.

I say put it in startup, and don't worry.
phillil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
jasonkruys wrote:
I have had that command in startup for years now. Working fine on all the Kong builds I have tried, and I have tried almost every one in the last year or so on the R7800. Worked on my R7000 before that.

I have to say, I have never tried it in the command section - always been i startup for me.

I say put it in startup, and don't worry.

OK thanks for the advice - I'll give it a go

One other quick question, my R7800 seems to disconnect after 24 hours. The DCHP lease renews every hour, but counts all the way down to 0 after 24 hours.

I am connecting to Sky Fibre through a Hauwei HG612 modem

Many thanks
jasonkruys
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Put this in your startup.

Killall udhcpc
udhcpc --background -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -x 0x3d:3132333435363738393130313140736b7964736c7c3839613132333435

Note the added '--background', and the removed '&' at the end. Oh, make sure connection type in setup is set to 'automatic configuration dchp' - I assume it is, but just checking.

I have run this with both my r7000 and r7800 on Kong builds with an hg612, Eci modem, and now vmg-1310 on sky fibre with no issues. Once it is up, it stays up, and automatically reconnects on a reboot or power outage.
phillil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
jasonkruys wrote:
Put this in your startup.

Killall udhcpc
udhcpc --background -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -x 0x3d:3132333435363738393130313140736b7964736c7c3839613132333435

Note the added '--background', and the removed '&' at the end. Oh, make sure connection type in setup is set to 'automatic configuration dchp' - I assume it is, but just checking.

I have run this with both my r7000 and r7800 on Kong builds with an hg612, Eci modem, and now vmg-1310 on sky fibre with no issues. Once it is up, it stays up, and automatically reconnects on a reboot or power outage.

Great I'll try it thanks.

I haven't changed the DHCP settings, they were 'automatic configuration dchp' by default

I don't suppose there are any other settings I need to be aware of in either the modem or router that could be causing the 24 hrs disconnect?

Once again thanks
jasonkruys
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not that I can think of. That startup command should see you right. As said, I have been on Kong builds for years now on sky fibre with no issues - so long that when I started, the udhcpc command was different and did not require the usrrname/password in hex! On sky fibre, by the way, it doesn't care what username and password you use as long as something is passed across using DHCP option 61, on ADSL you had to have the correct username/password as extracted from ye old Sagem router for your line!

Edit: Just thought, have you got IPv6 working? If not, see attached - of course you can use your own favourite DNS servers.
phillil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
No I haven't tried IPv6. I have gone back to basics due to my 24 hr disconnect issue.

You mentioned "see attached" regarding IPv6 - did you mean to post a link or something?

I could give it a try if it will help my disconnect issue I suppose.

I am using a generic uername and password by the way....
jasonkruys
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
phillil wrote:
No I haven't tried IPv6. I have gone back to basics due to my 24 hr disconnect issue.

You mentioned "see attached" regarding IPv6 - did you mean to post a link or something?

I could give it a try if it will help my disconnect issue I suppose.

I am using a generic uername and password by the way....

There is an attachment to the post which is a screenshot of the IPv6 tab.

The udhcpc command in the startup should solve your 24hr issue, shout if you are still having issues with it - in which case there must be something else funky going on.
phillil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
jasonkruys wrote:

There is an attachment to the post which is a screenshot of the IPv6 tab.

The udhcpc command in the startup should solve your 24hr issue, shout if you are still having issues with it - in which case there must be something else funky going on.

Thanks for the support - you're a star.

The lease expired on 24 hours again this evening.

I've added the modified script as you suggested and I've setup the IPv6 and it seems to work.

So I'll have to wait a few days to see if I stay connected past the 24 hours or not

Once again thanks
jasonkruys
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still up and running, or dropped out after 24hours?
phillil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
jasonkruys wrote:
Still up and running, or dropped out after 24hours?

Still up and running!! Went past the magic 24 hours with no problems. Thanks so much.

However I tried to watch a couple of movies last night. I stream very high bitrate stuff across the LAN from a Synology 918+ on to a generic android TV box, and every 30 minutes the movie stops. I have to reboot the box to get the connection back.

I've had this setup for about a year now, and have NEVER had a problem with the LAN, so there is something not right with the R7800 I guess?

I'm not sure if it's an issue with local DCHP (DNSMasq)??

Any ideas?

Once again thanks
phillil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've spent a few hours trying to find out what the problem might be.

Apparently it's not good practice to rely on uPnP for reliable port forwarding, so I've manually opened up the port for Plex server

I'll see how it goes today
phillil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
and there is an issue with DNS rebind, and after reading have now added

rebind-domain-ok=/plex.direct/

to the DNSmasq settings
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: