Plex unavailble on gateway 2 (DD-WRT) but ok on gateway 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next
leejenson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 20:38    Post subject: Plex unavailble on gateway 2 (DD-WRT) but ok on gateway 1 Reply with quote
Hi,

Could you help me please diagnose my connectivity.

My problem is that my Plex server is unavailable when the server is using the NETGEAR (DD-WRT) gateway & DNS. But it works ok when I used the BTHub5 gateway & DNS from my service provider. My NETGEAR is a wired bridge.

I have port forwarded nnnnn to 32400 (Plex) on both gateways, turned off server and router firewall and realtime virus checking but no change.

This is my config:-

BTHub5 (Internet Service Provider Gateway, DHCP, WIFI turned off)
- No direct clients apart from NETGEAR bridge router.

Netgear WNDR37000v4 (Initial flash: r23503
Webflash bin: r35244, DD-WRT Wired Bridge, Gateway, WIFI, No DHCP, internet access OK via BTHub5 gateway)

- Plex Server V3.41.2 (Gateway = Netgear - Network cable - internet access ok)
    - Xbox One Plex app (Gateway = BTHub5 via Netgear network cable)
    - Android phone Plex App (Gateway = BTHub5 via Netgear WIFI) = CAN SEE PLEX SERVER!??
    - Microsoft Surface Plex App (Gateway = BTHub5 via Netgear WIFI)

Thanks

Lee

[updated to correct terminology)

Last edited by leejenson on Mon Apr 30, 2018 17:26; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
The netgear is either a wired bridge or a gateway those things are mutually exclusive.

You probably should set the Netgear up according to this wiki: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
leejenson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, my terminology is incorrect. I have a 'Simple' Access Point configuration.

Is there a configuration that would allow me to have my Plex server pointing to the DD-WRT gateway?

Thanks

Lee
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
leejenson wrote:
Is there a configuration that would allow me to have my Plex server pointing to the DD-WRT gateway?

Sorry, don't understand your question.

If the router is set up as an AP, wired LAN-LAN with your main router, there is no point in having it as gateway for any LAN node. All it will do is to redirect everyone back to the main router.

Do you have non-bridged interfaces with a separate IP sub-net?

When the Plex server is getting the IP address from a DHCP server, the gateway address is supplied by the DHCP server.
leejenson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

The reason I want to do this is because the server uses the VPN client in DD-WRT and I need to point to the NETGEAR gateway to do this.

No I don't have another subnet.

Thanks
Lee
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set a static IP on the Plex Server and you can specify a gateway.
leejenson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi , this is my current setup, but Plex is unreachable when I do this.

Initial research lead me to port forward which works until I change the gateway to the DD-WRT Netgear.

So not to confuse things, the VPN is off.

Thanks

Lee
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you trying to access the Plex server from the WAN?

That will not work, as the reply will go out the VPN and not back out on the WAN.
leejenson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I won't be using the VPN when I am using Plex. It will be switched off, but I would like to switch it on if I want to use it. So I am attempting to get Plex working with my Netgear with my VPN off.

Thanks

Lee
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a somewhat exotic setup Let me recap, you have a wireless access point, on this WAP you have configured a VPN client. You have the router in Gateway mode on Setup/Advanced Routing and on the Administration/Management Page you have routing enabled.

By setting you plex server to use this WAP as gateway you will be routed through the WAP and thus the VPN.

If you disable the VPN the WAP should route the packets coming from the plex server to its own gateway ( I guess) which is your primary router (because you have set the primary routers address in the Network Setup/Gateway).
Check from your plex server if you have internet acces with the VPN off.

If that is the case you should have access to the plex server by its IP address and maybe a simple port forward on your primary router to the plex server might work, but as said this is an exotic setup

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
What might even work better is setting the plex server at automatic DHCP and use your main router to provide an alternate gateway. When using manual DHCP sometimes Netbios and things like UPnP get confused (need a real expert to tell why Sad )

For a DDWRT router as primary router you can add the follwoing lines to DNSMasq options:

Code:
dhcp-host= xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx,set:altdnsgw,192.168.0.x,Plexserver,infinite
dhcp-option=tag:altdnsgw,option:dns-server,209.222.18.222,209.222.18.218,10.0.0.1
dhcp-option=tag:altdnsgw,option:router,192.168.0.x

This sets a static lease for the plex server (do not do that also in the Static Lease box) and provides it with alternate DNS and gateway options

leejenson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
This is a somewhat exotic setup Let me recap, you have a wireless access point, on this WAP you have configured a VPN client. You have the router in Gateway mode on Setup/Advanced Routing and on the Administration/Management Page you have routing enabled.

By setting you plex server to use this WAP as gateway you will be routed through the WAP and thus the VPN.

If you disable the VPN the WAP should route the packets coming from the plex server to its own gateway ( I guess) which is your primary router (because you have set the primary routers address in the Network Setup/Gateway). Check from your plex server if you have internet acces with the VPN off.

If that is the case you should have access to the plex server by its IP address and maybe a simple port forward on your primary router to the plex server might work, but as said this is an exotic setup

you have a wireless access point, on this WAP you have configured a VPN client.
Lee> It's not wireless but a 'simple' wired access point. Primary router WIFI is off also, I just use DD-WRT WIFI.

You have the router in Gateway mode on Setup/Advanced Routing
Lee> Yes

and on the Administration/Management Page you have routing enabled.
Lee> Yes

Lee> Yes

If you disable the VPN the WAP should route the packets coming from the plex server to its own gateway (I guess) which is your primary router (because you have set the primary routers address in the Network Setup/Gateway).
Lee> When my Plex server is pointing to the DD-WRT Netgear gateway. whether my VPN is on or off makes no difference to my symptom - which is server unavailable when going through the Netgear DD-WRT gateway.

Check from your plex server if you have internet access with the VPN off.
Lee> Yes I do.

Lee> This is my current config, I have plex port forwarding on my primary router which also works but only if my primary router is the gateway for the server,not Netgear DD-WRT. I also added port forwarding to the NETGEAR but no change to my symptom.

A simple wired AP fitted what I wanted until my Plex server became dual use (DD-WRT VPN client and Plex but not at the same time). Currently to switch between Plex and VPN I have to change the IP gateway settings on the server. My plan is to just to turn the VPN on and off in the DD-WRT admin instead of these IP changes.

I will come back to you later (but thank you) about your last response, as I need some time to absorb it.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
As your primary router has no clients attached it is the easist to just daisy chain your routers i.e. connect the LAN from primary to the WAN from the Netgear.

If possible use DMZ on your primary router in that case you only have to port forward on your secondary router.

With VPN you either let only specific destinations route through the VPN or route specific clients (by IP address) through the VPN. This seems a much easier solution Smile

leejenson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
As your primary router has no clients attached it is the easist to just daisy chain your routers i.e. connect the LAN from primary to the WAN from the Netgear.

If possible use DMZ on your primary router in that case you only have to port forward on your secondary router.

With VPN you either let only specific destinations route through the VPN or route specific clients (by IP address) through the VPN. This seems a much easier solution Smile

Lee> My primary and Netgear DD-WRT are already connected via a network cable.

Lee> Yes my primary router has DMZ and my Netgear DD-WRT router is in the list to select from.

With VPN you either let only specific destinations route through the VPN or route specific clients (by IP address) through the VPN. This seems a much easier solution
Lee> I haven't routed specific IPs through the VPN (not sure how) but I did more general testing as follows:

DMZ in primary router = Netgear DD-WRT / Plex Server Gateway = primary router / (VPN Failed & Plex OK)

DMZ in primary router = Netgear DD-WRT / Plex Server Gateway = Netgear DD-WRT / (VPN OK & Plex Failed-unavailable with VPN off)

No DMZ / Plex Server Gateway = primary router / (VPN Failed & Plex OK)

No DMZ / Plex Server Gateway = Netgear DD-WRT / (VPN OK & Plex Failed-unavailable with VPN off)

(The server is networked cabled to the Netgear DD-WRT.)
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have missed the point.

Is the Netgear router wired LAN-LAN or WAN-LAN with your main router?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: