Connecting multiples devices to different OpenVPN

yomen9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 14:26    Post subject: Connecting multiples devices to different OpenVPN Reply with quote
Hi,

I did a lot of research and I'm pretty sure my question hasn't been ask before.

So here what I want :

Would it be possible to use DD-WRT (and probably commands and static leases) to connect 5 devices to 5 different OpenVPN (.ovpn files)

In other words, I would like for each device connected to my router to have a different OpenVPN.

How could I archive that?

Thank you so much if you can help me!

Also, if you have any question or I wasn't clear enough, feel free to ask me!
Sponsor
yomen9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
The extension .ovpn is just a naming convention for OpenVPN config files. The OpenVPN client does NOT use it. It generates its own config file (fwiw, specifically /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf) based on the information you provide via the GUI. The router then starts the OpenVPN process, specifying that file on the command line.

In order for you to use OpenVPN w/ your own .ovpn config file, you'll need to manage your own OpenVPN process and likewise specify that file on the command line, just like the GUI. And of course you'll need to manage your own firewall rules as well. And you'll need to repeat these steps and create a new OpenVPN process for each and every client.

Assuming you get that far, you'll need to implement your own PBR (policy based routing) to manage which client(s) use which OpenVPN client.

So it can be done, but you're working completely outside the GUI, and it will take some experience to deal w/ the complexities of managing all these OpenVPN processes, firewall configuration, and routing. And since I have no idea of your networking experience, only you can determine if this is or isn't feasible.

Thank you very much for your answer, it's really appreciated!

First, I just want to say that I don't necessarily need to work with the .ovpn extension, any way to get my device to connect to its own OpenVPN will do the job for me.

Secondly, if anyone knows how I could execute a command code to make each device connect to its own OpenVPN, you are very welcome to post it here!

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: