ESS for Dummies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
alfaguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 16:37    Post subject: ESS for Dummies Reply with quote
This should be pretty simple but I'm having difficulty and need some help.

I have a detached shop that is far enough from my house that I don't get reliable wifi in the shop from the main router in the house.

So, I have a second sub network in the shop via ethernet cable to a second router that provides wifi in the shop. This had worked perfectly for the past ten years or so.

I was using two WRT54X routers with DD-WRT. The main router in the house started having issues. I replaced it with a brand new WRT3200ACM that I flashed with DD-WRT from the get go.

So far so good, everything was working just fine.

I had a new WRT1900AC that I wan't using, so flashed it with DD-WRT and set it up as the secondary router in the shop. This is where things get wonky.

I can connect to the network and internet on the secondary network, but the internet speed is very very slow. Doesn't matter if I'm wired or wireless, its stupid slow.

I'm sure there is a setting somewhere that needs to be changed, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it is.

I have the IP of the main router set to 192.168.1.1 and DHCP enabled. This router is plugged into the internet modem. Everything from this network (wifi, wired, and internet) works fine.

The IP of the secondary router is set to 192.168.1.2 and DHCP is disabled. They are connected LAN to LAN, the same as my previous set up.

Both routers have been flashed with R35916

I can disconnect the WRT1900AC and plug the old router back in and everything in the shop works as it should.

I'm not a network guy and have limited knowledge and experience doing this, so any help would be appreciated.

If more info is needed just ask, and I'll be happy to provide it, just not sure what else to include at this time.

Thanks!
Sponsor
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the 1900 a version 1 or 2?
Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
alfaguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
Is the 1900 a version 1 or 2?

Version 1
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Version 1, unfortunately has had issues since the switch to the 4.9 kernel, including mine. I just have some low bandwidth stuff running off of it, since the speed is so bad.

At the top of this forum is a sticky https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311836 , it has download links for the last "best" working build of DD-WRT for this router. It is a bit older, so it doesn't have some security fixes like for KRACK, but if that doesn't bother you, it runs flawless.

Now that you reminded me about this, I have been meaning to give OpenWRT development snapshot a try on it, I hear they may have things figured out.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: