How can one enhance wireless speed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dmb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 15:33    Post subject: How can one enhance wireless speed? Reply with quote
I thought the 802.11g standard enables speeds up to 22mbps. I currently have a 15megabit up and 2megabit down connection, and i was wondering why I get really slow speeds when useing the wireless compared to wired when I never even get up to the 22megabit limite for 802.11g.

When i'm wired, and I do a speed test, i get 13megabits up and 1.8 megabits down.

When i'm wireless, and a do a speed test, i get 5.5 megabits up and 1.6 up.

I am only using 64bit encryption. What can I do so I get better speeds and can take advantage of my fast connection?
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
See this paper: http://www.atheros.com/pt/whitepapers/atheros_range_whitepaper.pdf

You can get higher speed with "g-only" mode
stevech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:49    Post subject: Re: How can one enhance wireless speed? Reply with quote
dmb wrote:
I thought the 802.11g standard enables speeds up to 22mbps. I currently have a 15megabit up and 2megabit down connection, and i was wondering why I get really slow speeds when useing the wireless compared to wired when I never even get up to the 22megabit limite for 802.11g.

The air link bit rate for 11g best-case is 54Mbps. This excludes the high overhead of WiFi 802.11 and TCP.

When i'm wired, and I do a speed test, i get 13megabits up and 1.8 megabits down.

When i'm wireless, and a do a speed test, i get 5.5 megabits up and 1.6 up.

I am only using 64bit encryption. What can I do so I get better speeds and can take advantage of my fast connection?

I have a home theater PC linked by 11g to another room. Signal about -80dBm. It does a 5GB disk image once a week. I calculated that the link is providing about 22Mbps based on the size of the image file and the duration of this TCP transfer. This is plain vanilla 11g; no turbo-baloney.

regardless of 11g, 11g Turbo, etc. the first issue is signal strength at each end of the WiFi Link between client(s) and the w-router and/or access points. For the best speed you need a signal strength in the -70's (dBm); -80's will cause WiFi to choose a lower air link speed.

Secondly ensure that you are not competing for the WiFi channel with a neighbor who uses the bandwidth a lot (vs. a neighbor who's SSID is present but little traffic on average is created. If so, change your choice of channel (1, 6, 11 in the US).

Thirdly, make sure that your client PCs have the TCP settings optimized - RWIN setting especially. Lots of tools and advice on doing that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: