Wireguard handshake succeeds at first, then begins failing

kobaseball16
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:45    Post subject: Wireguard handshake succeeds at first, then begins failing Reply with quote
Hello all - I am currently trying to configure a Linksys E2500 router with ddwrt (v3.0-r50963 mega) to act as a vpn in a vacation home so that I can appear as though I am located at the vacation home. The E2500 router is plugged in to the main router at the vacation home and is intended to be used solely for the vpn. I've forwarded 51810 on the main router, set up peers, disabled DCHP/wifi on the E2500 router, and everything works great for 3-10 minutes. When connected, I'm able to do an IP lookup and it shows my location at the vacation home when I am tunneled in. I can also remotely log in to both of the routers at the vacation home with the tunnel active. Unfortunately, I eventually get a handshake failure in Wireguard and have to change from my home wifi network to 5G on my phone to get the handshake to succeed again. This eventual handshake failure happens regardless of the peer I am connecting with and happens regardless of the network I am connecting from (cellular, home wifi).

Does this behavior stick out to anyone of what I may have improperly configured? I had this working great for a year until we switched the router for a new one at the vacation home. I've tried with the firewalls off on the main router to no avail.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:08    Post subject: Re: Wireguard handshake succeeds at first, then begins faili Reply with quote
kobaseball16 wrote:
Hello all - I am currently trying to configure a Linksys E2500 router with ddwrt (v3.0-r50963 mega) to act as a vpn in a vacation home so that I can appear as though I am located at the vacation home. The E2500 router is plugged in to the main router at the vacation home and is intended to be used solely for the vpn. I've forwarded 51810 on the main router, set up peers, disabled DCHP/wifi on the E2500 router, and everything works great for 3-10 minutes. When connected, I'm able to do an IP lookup and it shows my location at the vacation home when I am tunneled in. I can also remotely log in to both of the routers at the vacation home with the tunnel active. Unfortunately, I eventually get a handshake failure in Wireguard and have to change from my home wifi network to 5G on my phone to get the handshake to succeed again. This eventual handshake failure happens regardless of the peer I am connecting with and happens regardless of the network I am connecting from (cellular, home wifi).

Does this behavior stick out to anyone of what I may have improperly configured? I had this working great for a year until we switched the router for a new one at the vacation home. I've tried with the firewalls off on the main router to no avail.

WireGuard guides are a sticky (first few threads) in this forum.

Update first recent build is 54475.
Reset to defaults **after** upgrading and put settings in manually.

You have to decide how to setup the E5200.
As a normal router/gateway using its own subnet or as a Wireless Access Point (WAP).

For a normal gateway router just port forward from the main router to the WAN of the E2500 and use the WG Server setup guide.

For a WAP see the WG Advanced guide.

Note WG is a routed solutions, to work you need three separate subnets, the clients-, the wg- and the servers subnet must be different, so it does not work if the Client and Server both have e.g.192.168.1.0/24

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: