Had to resort to manual configuration to get it to work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Galane
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:50    Post subject: Had to resort to manual configuration to get it to work. Reply with quote
I have a Netgear AC1450 with DD-WRT v3.0-r54637 std (12/29/23)

Approximately once a week it would refuse to assign my desktop an IP address and would not make its gateway IP visible to the LAN. I could login to it by WiFi with my phone and see no Ethernet devices connected.
I'd have to reset it and reload the configuration I'd saved and off it'd go, working just as it should, until the next time it would quit.

Last night it was working fine. This evening, nope. No IP for you! I reset it and reloaded the configuration twice, reverted my Windows 10 desktop's Ethernet driver back to Microsoft OEM, did everything that *should* make Windows get an IP address assigned. Nope, nothing, nada, not working.

So I resorted to what I had to do back in the olden days. Manual configuration.

I assigned 192.168.12.24 as the Ethernet adapter's IP for IPV4. 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. 192.168.12.2 as the gateway and DNS #1 and 8.8.8.8 as DNS #2

Reboot the PC and it connects. I can also access my printers built in print servers.

How can the router apparently at random stop doing DHCP assignments to devices connected to its LAN ports, and now it seems is just not going to do that no matter what?

I've always done manual configuration of IP connected printers due to Windows' propensity for randomly changing things and 'forgetting' how it should connect to the printers. Lock it down and it almost never fails to work.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only ways router to stop giving new leases is you are either out of leases or DHCP deamon is down...not working... Cool either try a new build or fix your set up error.. Cool
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you ran out of leases:

From command line to check the max number of leases:
grep lease-max /tmp/dnsmasq.conf

To get a line count of the leases:
wc -l /tmp/dnsmasq.leases

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Galane
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:

I logged in by telnet to try those. First does nothing, just goes back to the prompt. Second gets no such file or directory.

I have T-Mobile Home Internet. The Netgear AC1450 is connected to and repeating the T-Mobile WiFi in another building, along with having a couple of other SSIDs from the Netgear.

The T-Mobile gateway's IP is 192.168.12.1 which I have as the gateway IP and local DNS in basic setup. The T-Mobile gateway uses DHCP to assign IP addresses to devices connected to its WiFi. Nothing is connected to its LAN ports. It has no way to assign fixed IP addresses.

The T-Mobile gateway has a similar issue at times where it has to be power cycled to get things communicating. 100% of all the DSL modems, routers, anything I've ever had with WiFi has had this same problem for years, with stock firmware, DD-WRT, or OpenWRT. They all periodically stop allowing data through while assigning IPs (while LAN access still works), or fail to assign IPs which of course blocks internet and LAN.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Galane wrote:
egc wrote:

I logged in by telnet to try those. First does nothing, just goes back to the prompt. Second gets no such file or directory.

I have T-Mobile Home Internet. The Netgear AC1450 is connected to and repeating the T-Mobile WiFi in another building, along with having a couple of other SSIDs from the Netgear.

The T-Mobile gateway's IP is 192.168.12.1 which I have as the gateway IP and local DNS in basic setup. The T-Mobile gateway uses DHCP to assign IP addresses to devices connected to its WiFi. Nothing is connected to its LAN ports. It has no way to assign fixed IP addresses.

The T-Mobile gateway has a similar issue at times where it has to be power cycled to get things communicating. 100% of all the DSL modems, routers, anything I've ever had with WiFi has had this same problem for years, with stock firmware, DD-WRT, or OpenWRT. They all periodically stop allowing data through while assigning IPs (while LAN access still works), or fail to assign IPs which of course blocks internet and LAN.

either you did not do it right or more probable you do not have DNSMasq running at this router and the DNS/DHCP comes from the T-Mobile device in that case the problem is not related to DDWRT but to T-Mobile.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: