Small but important point about flashing dd-wrt...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
christo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:37    Post subject: Small but important point about flashing dd-wrt... Reply with quote
Hi
There's a very important point in the instructions on flashing a device with dd-wrt via a web browser interface which I sailed right past and then got caught out (actually I dismissed it at the time) but its valid and maybe should be in capital letters.

You have to use MS IE as the browser....
.....otherwise (with Firefox in my case) you get a pop-up box that says [the f/w] file "Document contains no data" and the upgrade bars just keep scolling by and a big warning "Do not disconnect the power...."

I was carefully upgrading from the generic dd-wrt to standard, got caught out, finally decided to yank the power, thought it must be the file, tried another version then same result. Many years back I learned RTFM protocol but...

Anyway, I'm new to dd-wrt (convert from svea) and impressed with the product (will donate soon)..... just tried being too familiar and got caught by a simple but easy to stumble into trap.

Cheers,

Chris
Sponsor
jpark
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never used IE to with dd-wrt. Always use Firefox. Can't find any reason to ever use IE (except on some government sites, where it is required).

Clear your cache. (I keep firefox cache turned off).
RizSher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know abot FF, but I've flashed usign Opera countless times w/o a problem...as far as I know, there is no restriction on browser type... your problem could be due to pop-up blocker or some securityu setting in FF.
BG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never flashed with IE. Only FF.

ScrapeTorrent.com -- My Bittorrent Search Site
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:33    Post subject: Re: Small but important point about flashing dd-wrt... Reply with quote
christo wrote:
Hi

.....otherwise (with Firefox in my case) you get a pop-up box that says [the f/w] file "Document contains no data" and the upgrade bars just keep scolling by and a big warning "Do not disconnect the power...."

This happened to me too. But not always, don't know why.

Last edited by Alberto on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:00; edited 1 time in total
Matthiaz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:54    Post subject: Re: Small but important point about flashing dd-wrt... Reply with quote
christo wrote:

This is just not true!
Demetris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
The issue I'm seeing when flashing w/ Firefox is a dialog that pops up 6 or 7 times saying something like this: The execution of this script is taking too long to complete. [ Abort ] [ Continue ]

I just press Continue each time.
christo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:49    Post subject: Re: Small but important point about flashing dd-wrt... Reply with quote
Hmmm!
I had a problem flashing f/w so I dug around in the forum and then checked out the installation instruction pages and found this:

"Use Internet Explorer as the Linksys firmware has many incompatibilities with Mozilla Firefox, in particular in the firmware upgrade section."
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation

So,
1) What I said is true if FF doesn't work, which it didn't for me,
2) There is a danger of bricking a WRT with a bad flash & any recomendation to prevent it perhaps needs to be highlighted - which was the point of my post, those who's mileage varied might be lucky or have different settings.
I use Mozilla FF 99.9% of the time but perhaps my post helps someone with problems flashing a unit or even prevents a brick. Check out the install page if you don't think its true.

Chris
tievolu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Demetris wrote:
The issue I'm seeing when flashing w/ Firefox is a dialog that pops up 6 or 7 times saying something like this: The execution of this script is taking too long to complete. [ Abort ] [ Continue ]

I just press Continue each time.

Try changing the FF setting dom.max_script_run_time in about:config to a larger value than the default 5 seconds. I have set mine to 30 and never see these messages.

Last edited by tievolu on Fri Jun 16, 2006 13:28; edited 1 time in total
tievolu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oops. Double post.
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never used anything but FF to flash both Linksys and DD-WRT firmwares, and have never had any difficulty. Like an earlier poster said, I only keep IE around for certain PITA sites and Windows updates.
Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had problems with Firefox while upgrading firmware on more than a couple of devices.

Just because some of you (or even most of you) haven't had a problem, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

tievolu, where can I find the config?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think I've had any problems upgrading my WRT54G/GS's using Firefox. Maybe some of you who are having problems are not running up-to-date versions of Firefox? Or maybe you've got some broken Firefox extensions that are damaging uploads (HTTP POSTs)?
tievolu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
0ldman wrote:
tievolu, where can I find the config?

Type about:config in the address bar.

Double click on an option to change its value.
Demetris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
tievolu wrote:
Demetris wrote:
The issue I'm seeing when flashing w/ Firefox is a dialog that pops up 6 or 7 times saying something like this: The execution of this script is taking too long to complete. [ Abort ] [ Continue ] [...]

Try changing the FF setting dom.max_script_run_time [...]

Thanks for the tip, tievolu. I'll change this and see how the next flashing goes.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: