Advanced Wireless Settings Reference Guide

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
msgdew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 15:01    Post subject: Advanced Wireless Settings Reference Guide Reply with quote
Is this guide posted somewhere in a zip/rar/ or maybe a text file that can be downloaded, thanks.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 15:06    Post subject: Re: Advanced Wireless Settings Reference Guide Reply with quote
msgdew wrote:
Is this guide posted somewhere in a zip/rar/ or maybe a text file that can be downloaded, thanks.

It is only posted in the dd-wrt wiki but you can easily mark-copy-paste the text into your own text file.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
fartface wrote:
Is there one for advanced wired settings? My asus rt - n16 is only getting 50Mbits throughput with the wired LAN.

Sorry Fartface.. I'm not familiar with DD-WRT having such a guide.

But wired internet problem can be troubleshot the same way you would troubleshoot any wired connectivity problem.

unless you have defective hardware,Layer 1 and 2 is usually where the problem lies.

So we assume that this isn't a UBF (User Brain Fart) try the following;

Step 1)
If easyily done replace all the Ethernet cables between the affect host and the asus. ( probably not the reason) but always good to rule it out since its such an easy thing to swap out.

Step 2)

-Start with layer 2, so this means interface settings.

I suspect that the host(s), or one of them, you have connected to your asus has its network interface port speed and duplex set to a manual setting other than auto.

If windows , on each host, go to the hardware properties of you're NIC and check the adv tab for these settings. Also while in there check and note your driver ver and age.

If these settings all look default. Try setting a manual speed and duplex, like 1000 and Full.

Step 3)
If that doesn't help, I would do to the vendors site for the PC and download and install the latest firmware,drivers and utilities. Utilities will be key, once installed the utilities will tell you your connected speed and duplex to the asus( this is needed for troubleshooting)

Also do some speed test at this point and watch the interface counters increment on the utilities application.

Do all that and post back the results of your work.

Good luck.

Latest and greatest builds Wink
fartface
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the info and advice. I found out what the problem was.

In the end, my ISP re-provisioned my modem to a 50Mbit tier, and re-enabled the internal wireless/router firewall in the modem....Rolling Eyes

Thank you again for the help, cause if I didn't check the internal settings more closely, I would have missed that my routers WAN ip was 192.x.x.x :s
jawz101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="stephensuley"][quote="jawz101"]I have something to correct

[quote]-Afterburner is also known as:

SpeedBooster
SuperSpeed
Turbo G 125mbps
125HSM
125* High Speed
G Plus
Xpress Technology [/quote]

XPress Technology is Dell's version of Frame Bursting, not Afterburner.

I don't understand why they say it's a proprietary version of frame bursting, though. If I turn on Dell's frame bursting is it doing something different/better as regular frame bursting. It's dumb.[/quote]

Good call..I'll update the document.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback.[/quote]

This link still needs to be updated http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Afterburner
[i]above page still references XPress Technology as Afterburner.[/i]

This one looks good
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings#Frame_Burst
"Afterburner is not: Super-G / 108 mbps (Super-G is an Atheros technology) XPress Technology is Dell's version of Frame Bursting, not Afterburner."
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think we need to update the wiki with some of the following settings and features.;

This is what the help file says about these features....I'll be working this over time, but if any one would like to put these int to the more detailed and hopefully helpful format used on the document already posted on wiki we can update the information

Radio Times Restrictions
The Radio Times Restriction facility constitutes a time switch for the radio. By default, the time switch is not active and the WLAN is permanently on. Enable the time switch, if you want to turn off the WLAN during some hours of the day. Hours during which the WLAN is on are marked in green, while red indicates that the radio is off. Clicking on the respective hour toggles between on and off.

WMM Support
Enable support of Wi-Fi Multimedia feature. Configuring QoS options consists of setting parameters on existing queues for different types of wireless traffic. You can configure different minimum and maximum wait times for the transmission of packets in each queue based on the requirements of the media being sent. Queues automatically provide minimum transmission delay for Voice, Video, multimedia, and mission critical applications, and rely on best-effort parameters for traditional IP data.

Note
As an Example, time-sensitive Voice & Video, and multimedia are given effectively higher priority for transmission (lower wait times for channel access), while other applications and traditional IP data which are less time-sensitive but often more data-intensive are expected to tolerate longer wait times.

No-Acknowledgement
This refers to the acknowledge policy used at the MAC level. Enabling no-acknowledgement can result in more efficient throughput but higher error rates in a noisy Radio Frequency (RF) environment.

EDCA AP Parameters (AP to Client)
This affects traffic flowing from the access point to the client station.

EDCA STA Parameters (Client to AP)
This affects traffic flowing from the client station to the access point.

Background
Priority is low.
High throughput. Bulk data that requires maximum throughput and is not time-sensitive is sent to this queue (FTP data, for example).

Best Effort
Priority is Medium.
Medium throughput and delay. Most traditional IP data is sent to this queue.

Video
Priority is High.
Minimum delay. Time-sensitive video data is automatically sent to this queue.

Voice
Priority is High.
Time-sensitive data like VoIP and streaming media are automatically sent to this queue.

CWmin
Minimum Contention Window. This parameter is input to the algorithm that determines the initial random backoff wait time ("window") for retry of a transmission. The value specified here in the Minimum Contention Window is the upper limit (in milliseconds) of a range from which the initial random backoff wait time is determined.
The first random number generated will be a number between 0 and the number specified here. If the first random backoff wait time expires before the data frame is sent, a retry counter is incremented and the random backoff value (window) is doubled. Doubling will continue until the size of the random backoff value reaches the number defined in the Maximum Contention Window. Valid values for the "cwmin" are 1, 3, 7, 15, 31, 63, 127, 255, 511, or 1024. The value for "cwmin" must be lower than the value for "CWmax".

CWmax
Maximum Contention Window. The value specified here in the Maximum Contention Window is the upper limit (in milliseconds) for the doubling of the random backoff value. This doubling continues until either the data frame is sent or the Maximum Contention Window size is reached. Once the Maximum Contention Window size is reached, retries will continue until a maximum number of retries allowed is reached. Valid values for the "cwmax" are 1, 3, 7, 15, 31, 63, 127, 255, 511, or 1024. The value for "cwmax" must be higher than the value for "CWmin".

AIFSN
The Arbitration Inter-Frame Spacing Number specifies a wait time (in milliseconds) for data frames.

TXOP(b) and TXOP (a/g)
Transmission Opportunity for "a" "b" and "g" modes is an interval of time when a WME AP has the right to initiate transmissions onto the wireless medium (WM). This value specifies (in milliseconds) the Transmission Opportunity (TXOP) for AP; that is, the interval of time when the WMM AP has the right to initiate transmissions on the wireless network.

Latest and greatest builds Wink
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all
Do we have a similar guide for Atheros? I search whatis/how/when for Default GW Mode.
Thanks

[EDIT]: Sorry, I don't know if it is Atheros specific.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, is anything in this thread more up-to-date than the wiki, or has it all be transposed to the wiki long ago?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings

If the latter, then perhaps it time to close this thread, & use the wiki only as the place where new ideas/updates appear.
And also remove the reference to this thread in the wiki...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: