Webcams/Ports/Security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
RCShadows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 17:05    Post subject: Webcams/Ports/Security Reply with quote
I have searched some but just got more confused so bare with me if you will.

I want to be able to run my various webcams on my network and have them accessable via the web. Simple enough on my Intranet but what about enabling them for the Internet? I have one directly connected to my server via USB and several that are wireless IP types.

What are the risks of a port being open (8080)?

What do I need to enable on my router...8080?

Are there any precautions I need to take besides being nekkid in front of it as I walk by lol....kidding of course but I do want to know what I should do to secure myself from hackers.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsor
Glen_S
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the port forwarding dialog you will need to enable your "port to" to the port your ipcams use, (probably 80) and the port you assign the webcam in the "port from". I'm pretty new at this, but thats what worked for me.

Another thing I found was, with my linksys cam when I gave it an alternate port of 8081, in port forwarding I had to put in 81 as the port from and use port 81 instead of 8081 when accessing it from the net, not sure why this is the case, perhaps someone here could answer that.

The linksys wireless cams I use have the ability to assign users to it, if yours don't you'd have to find and alternate method.

Hope that helps..

ps. if you are of the female persuasion, worry not about prancing around "nekkid' - by default the cameras will turn off if such a thing should happen..
RCShadows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Glen, I appreciate the info. Sorry to disappoint but I'm a guy lol.

Anyone else have any pointers as far as security? I feel pretty good about the wireless IP cameras for obvious reasons but the one attached to my server, well, that one has me a little more concerned.
Poruchik-Rghevsky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi.
You can avoid any risk by ciphering your traffic. For example, you can make HTTPS socket in your webserver and so on...
But please? tell me, how can you get a webcam working? What the firmware version was? What the drivers are? How do you access your webcam to view?

Brgs,
Alexei
teclis22
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aloah

Hmm i think all but one of his cameras are already IP cams so they have a full network connection with ip.

and the one connected via usb - i guess - offers a port on the servers ip.

So by forwarding ports you are pretty much accessing the units directly.

I /think/ what you are asking is the same question i have: how to get a web cam working on the routers own usb port.

best regards

tec

1x Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N in Reserve (still looking for that on ebay)

all units running DD-WRT v3.0-r44187 std
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: