DD-WRT firmware files for Senao/Engenius devices ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
fl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 18:15    Post subject: DD-WRT firmware files for Senao/Engenius devices ? Reply with quote
Hello, I have ordered an EOC-2610 on which I intend to flash DD-WRT.

I have therefore carefully read the forum stickies and relevant Wiki items to make sure I understand the flash process beforehand (since I don't want to risk bricking the device...)
It looks pretty clear, but there are some items that seem "written between the lines" on which explicit clarification would be helpful:
(BTW examples below are for EOC-2610, but I guess this would apply to any DD-WRT supported Engenius device)

2 different firmware files are available in the download area:
linux.bin (console image) and eoc-2610-firmware.bin (webflash image).
My understanding is that:

1) For flashing from original Engenius firmware:
- it is not possible to flash directly from Web GUI. Right?
- flashing should be done thru Redboot/TFTP (using instructions from eoc-2610_flashing.txt), using the linux.bin image. Right?

2) For (re)flashing DD-WRT from DD-WRT firmware:
- flashing thru Web GUI is possible, using the eoc-2610-firmware.bin image. Right?

3) Flashing original Engenius firmware from DD-WRT firmware:
- this is not possible. Right?

Thanks.

WRT54GS / WRT54GL / EOC-2610
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
u r completely right!
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK. So I made the move and have now flashed DD-WRT Professional (build 12966) on my EOC-2610.

Since I have no previous experience with the Professional Edition (I was so far using the Special Edition on Linksys WRT54Gx devices), this leads to more questions/remarks:

- Firmware functionality/size:
Although this firmware advertises itself as "std", it looks to me it's rather a "mega" version, right?
- it is large (7+ MB), and has 'mega' features like Milkfish SIP support.
- it leaves me with less than 500K for JFFS space.

- I am a bit concerned by the fact that this firmware comes in a single size: I do not need the 'mega' features and would rather trade them for more JFFS space.
As a comparison, with the Special edition on a WRT54GS, I have a full 4MB of JFFS space free for packages installation and other stuff.

Would it be possible to have a smaller build of the Professional edition that looks more like the std-Special edition?

- Finally, talking about packages, it looks like 'ipkg' seems broken in this version or build: ipkg update just fails silently, without any error message...

Last edited by fl on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:53; edited 1 time in total
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
no jffs support.
most users dont need it. its better to have all the features

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well... I'm sorry to have to say that but your answer looks not purely factual, and even a bit rude Smile:
Sash wrote:
most users dont need it. its better to have all the features

Most users, maybe (I don't remember seeing a poll on the desired features of the Professional edition), but I am not one of them.

This 'one size fits all' approach to the Professional edition packaging seems very restrictive, both from a technical and a business point of view.

After all, why don't we paying customers of the Professional edition have choices like the users of the free edition have?
Note here that I'm not even requesting the full range (including the micro and mini versions dedicated to small devices) of versions: I'd be perfectly happy with having, in addition to the 'mega' version I am stuck with now, a 'std' version, with less features and more flash real estate left for JFFS.

Sash wrote:
no jffs support.

Here again, not very factual: technically, apparently JFFS support works quite fine in this version. The only issue is that the 'mega' firmware doesn't leave enough space to make it really usable.

Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
since professional users want a install and go version. they wont go install pakages they need. they dont have the money and time.
if u wants a OS to play around with go to openwrt

btw other professional routing OS's also have only o file per supported device. and dont compare consumer broadcom stuff with real ISP hardware

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot. This is extremely helpful and enlightening.

One thing that escaped to your wisdom, though, is that the fact that one buys DD-WRT 'Professional' for a device doesn't mean he is a 'professional' user (at least according to the very restrictive definition you have of such a user).

That's indeed not the case for me.
But it still means I'm a paying DD-WRT customer, and as such I think I'm entitled to express somes wishes related to the product I bought, in the relevant forum.

Following your logic, I should either have stuck to the original Engenius firmware or move to OpenWRT.
OK, so now where should I go to get a refund for DD-WRT Professional?

yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
since professional users want a install and go version. they wont go install pakages they need. they dont have the money and time.
if u wants a OS to play around with go to openwrt

btw other professional routing OS's also have only o file per supported device. and dont compare consumer broadcom stuff with real ISP hardware

Sorry Sash, but some professionnal user spend time to answer specials requests from their customers(of course we have to stop our customer if they want to use nodes for a space ship Wink ), and so that means, we should have the possibility to include a new ipkg pack. The best way as say our friend is to have a release with big jffs partition.

I think this would be a great Idea to have an Std release add to this mega release.

Some of my collegue prefer to use an Open-wrt releases instead of those from dd-wrt because of this fact.

note:
If somebody answer this post "it's because of the price", I will answer no, time is money for professionnal users, if we have the choice between an extra cost of ~20€ and spending 2 or 3 hours of brain stormming in selecting all usual services before adding the special one needed, we prefere to spend those 20 F..king € Smile.

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
we cant and we wont do 1000 diffent builds for every user wanting this and that or dont wating this or that feature. its just not econimical!
if u wanna pay for it u can contact new-media on the main page and u will be charged for your custom build.

since we're are NOT openwrt we dont support ipkg officially and wont ever. this is no ddwrt feature.
its like buying a audi and wanna to put a VW sunroof inside!
go to any other commercial OS dev, claim it there and they will tell u the same. i dont know why people think they can claim ddwrt for this every time...

...but it doesnt matter what u do..people never get satisfied!

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Sash,
I think you are taking this too personal and over-reacting a bit here.

Let's calm things down.
I am willing to take the blame if you want: You convinced me:
OK, I made a mistake in purchasing DD-WRT Professional on the assumption that it would give me the flexibility I had experienced with DD-WRT Special.
No big deal: I will not ask for a refund (I guess there would not be much hope anyway Smile) and will just sit on my 20 € (will just quit smoking for a few days to compensate the cost - will make me healthier Smile)

But please note that I'm not requesting official ipkg support, nor 1000 different adhoc builds.

I was just humbly suggesting that it might be a good thing to offer 'std' builds for DD-WRT Professional, in addition to 'mega' builds. That's all.

Could you just please forward this suggestion to BrainSlayer.
Thanks.

yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
we cant and we wont do 1000 diffent builds for every user wanting this and that or dont wating this or that feature. its just not econimical!
if u wanna pay for it u can contact new-media on the main page and u will be charged for your custom build.

since we're are NOT openwrt we dont support ipkg officially and wont ever. this is no ddwrt feature.
go to any other commercial OS dev, claim it there and they will tell u the same. i dont know why people think they can claim ddwrt for this every time...

Sorry Sash, maybe my post was not clear, it seems you misuntderstood my post. that was not a Claim, this was a proposal.

I'd never ask you to support Open WRT or Other OS project, I just mention the fact that some professionnal users go on with them when poor JFFS partition is not acceptable for their use. So it could be a nice idea for you to cover this market with one professionnal firmware. For sure this will be on your mind.

Sash wrote:

As we say in France: "C'est la vie" ;)

Don't know if it make sense for you, but it is the same for us Wink....

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:

Hi everyone, well, some point of view. AFAIK, Sash is not part of NewMedia NET Gmbh, so he is just giving his point of view, and not the firm's one.

I do have also a firm making software, and if clients have some needs or requests, we do look first if it is possible to be done, and what we wil be the cost.

I sincerely doubt that adding JFFS would be a major problem, as the code already exists in other version of DD-WRT. The best thing to do, is either contacting BS and asking him if he can add that option for everyone, or in the worst case, to create a special version for your needs, and what would be the cost.

Cheers, Michel.

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
MichelG <- guess you are right, that the shortest way to have the best answer.Be confident, Brain and Eko are nice guys to discuss with (for buissnes deployment or other subjects Wink ).
fl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Michel,
MichelG wrote:
I sincerely doubt that adding JFFS would be a major problem, as the code already exists in other version of DD-WRT. The best thing to do, is either contacting BS and asking him if he can add that option for everyone, or in the worst case, to create a special version for your needs, and what would be the cost.

I don't even think this is a matter of adding JFFS support. As far as I can see, JFFS works quite fine on my EOC-2610 running DD-WRT Professional (build 12966); the only issue being that, the firmware being 'mega-sized', the resulting JFFS partition is really smallish.

So, taking the packaging (micro/mini/std/mega) of the free or Special DD-WRT versions as a reference, my wish, as expressed in my post above, would be to have an option of installing a 'std'-like build of DD-WRT Professional, rather than the single 'mega'-like build we have now.

Note that I not formulating this as a specific request for a special, adhoc build, but as a more general request to introduce a bit more flexibility for DD-WRT Professional users.

I do hope BrainSlayer browses the forums sometimes and will consider this request.

adx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1 for this. I hope we can see more build for this device. Some ppl don't need all features offered in mega build. I'm waiting for std build myself before proceed to flash mine.

Navigation

Jump to: