Networking with DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ignite339
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 0:03    Post subject: Networking with DD-WRT Reply with quote
Hi everyone. I've been having a lot of problems with Home Networking in W!ndows XP (basic file and printer sharing) and I think there are some settings in DD-WRT that I have to change. Has anyone experienced problems with networking and their DD-WRT router, and does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks a lot.
Sponsor
jamzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:28    Post subject: What type of problems... Reply with quote
Can all the PCs ping each other? You cant see any shares?...give a little more specific info..

jamzz
trey504
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your internet work's and you use your router for DHCP I dont think its your router... Turn your windows firewall off
ignite339
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I can't ping the other PC, and yes, I have turned off Windows Firewall. I think it's either a setting in the DD-WRT firewall, or some other settings.

Last edited by ignite339 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 18:33; edited 1 time in total
trey504
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check the ips on the computers are they all obtained from the router.. all on the same subnet...can they all access the internet

If you messed with settings it might just be easier to reset to defaults
ignite339
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Odd...One of the computers can ping my computer, but not vise versa. Know what could be going on?

And yes, all your conditions are met.
trey504
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
reset your router to defaults to rule that out..
JohnS@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
disable 'loopback' option (under admnistration) and disable 'ap isolation' if enabled (under wireless/advanced)Exclamation
OpsCenter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
JohnS@ wrote:
disable 'loopback' option (under admnistration) and disable 'ap isolation' if enabled (under wireless/advanced)Exclamation

Yes; do those things and report back please.

Also, tell me if I am right. With the AP Isolation turned to "enabled", you could ping from the computer that was hardwired to the router, but could not ping from the computer that was connected via wireless.
ignite339
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I disabled loopback, and the other option was already disabled. I can't ping either computer, and disabling loopback made the computer wirelessly connected unable to access the internet, and it disappeared from "wireless clients". What am I doing wrong!!!
ignite339
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
OpsCenter wrote:
JohnS@ wrote:

Yes; do those things and report back please.

Also, tell me if I am right. With the AP Isolation turned to "enabled", you could ping from the computer that was hardwired to the router, but could not ping from the computer that was connected via wireless.
When you say 'ping', do you mean ping the router (192.168.1.1)?

EDIT: Okay, here's what's going on. I have two computers hooked up by wire (one of which is mine) and one wirelessly. We are all on the same workgroup, and have all ran the Home Network Setup thing. The wired computer (not mine) can ping me fine, but I cannot ping it. I can't even access the Workgroup Computers under My Network Places. Could there be something wrong on my part? (PS. Windows Firewall is OFF.)
Praem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi.

Se if the "Use simple file share" is checked. Windows Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->View (last box)

If it is.... uncheck it. Then it will work.

/Praem
mzungu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 15:12    Post subject: ping issues Reply with quote
I'm having an issue similar to what is described in this thread. I first thought it was a windows networking issue - I didn't have it set up properly, but after reading through the thread, I realize something is going on with dd-wrt. There's a setting/feature that I can't find that is controlling the LAN. I've got two computers and I can't ping either one from the other. I can ping the router from both.

Any assistance with configuring dd-wrt would be greatly appreciated.
darven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I had a similar problem...you need to rule out everything on your end first before looking at the router or you'll be chasing ghosts. What I did that worked was.

BTW -- I'm networking two windows xp home machines w/ up to date windows update files. Connected with a Buffalo WHR-G54s running DD-WRT v23 SP2 std

Ran critical updates both computers
Disabled windows firewall
Disabled any/all firewalls on each computer
Shut down my av (many come with firewalls, I'm just trying to make sure I killed itl).
Even if you don't need to, I checked out each account on each computer just to be sure everybody was doing what I thought they were doing.

Ran the network setup wizard on each computer (Once again, don't know if it's necessary..but I figured it would not hurt.)

It worked after that...

...I then had to specifically tell Mcafee Security to let me in, before it would let me share with the program running.

...I don't know what your using but you may have similar options in your av/firewall

I had to specifically allow all traffic for my lan
I had to enable, under services, file and print sharing for windows, Mcafee was blocking the port netbios wanted to use 139 or 137...can't remember.

I had to enable ICMP (ping) for the computer (I just wanted to ping it, I doubt it did anything useful in terms of getting networked.

That's about it
Hope you get it figured out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: