Links. WRT54GS + DD-WRT + cable = 60min lease time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Steffko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 17:24    Post subject: Links. WRT54GS + DD-WRT + cable = 60min lease time Reply with quote
Hi guys, I already tried to get help in the German section of the board, but unfortunately I didn't get answers yet, so I'm gonna try it here.

We are new customers of a German company that uses the cable television infrastructure for internet connection. Now the router that the company gave us is a bit... well, it's a D-Link DIR-300 and it's not exactly good. The WLAN range is incredibly bad. So we tried to use our old router, the Linksys WRT54GS v5.1. Now the problem is that the router seems to try to get a new ip every 60 minutes (in the Status/WAN section the remaining client lease time continuously reduces from 60 minutes to 0 and then it tries to get a new ip apparently and after that goes back up to 60 min). Of course it can't get a new ip but nevertheless the computers connected to the router lose the internet connection for a short amount of time, which also means that downloads abort and also for example online games.

I dunno how popular internet via cable modems is over there, but I just hope you guys have some kind of an idea Very Happy

Just btw. we also installed DD-WRT on the D-LINK Dir-300 (dunno, my brother was brillant that day ^^), and the D-LINK doesn't have this kind of problem, neither with the original firmware, nor with DD-WRT, i.e. it also has that 60 minute countdown, but it sort of "refreshes" every 20 or 30 minutes and than the remaining lease time is back up to 50 or 60 minutes.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insert the command into your firewall script on the admin -> commands page.

iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 68 -j ACCEPT

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/ticket/973

Steffko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your help so far, but unfortunately this didn't help :/ The connection loss now actually takes place a bit earlier than before, after about 40 minutes (than connection time goes back to 0 and remaining client lease time back up to 60min + internet connection is lost for a short amount of time).
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
What build are you running?
Steffko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's build 13064 (v24-sp2), the version of the router is 5.1. But I had exactly the same problem with the version that was running on it before. Dunno the exact build anymore, it was pretty old, afaik in the 10xxx range (the build no.).

I found a solution that works for now, but I'm not sure how long. I've changed the WAN connection type to static IP and put all the stuff in there that the DHCP connection before registered. Now the problem is that I'm not sure what happens when the IP from Unitymedia (the provider) changes. It only does occassionally (probably once in a few weeks), but I'm not sure if this just means typing in a few new numbers once every few weeks or that I might kill sth. there ^^

So a solution to the problem is still very, very appreciated :D

Edit: Would you recommend using another build? I'm not that much into DD-WRT (that's my brothers part who won't be here until Friday), so I do know how to use the GUI (for updating firmwares for example), but that's it basically. If it's anything more complicated an explanation how to do it would be great ^^

Edit2: Forget that solution, doesn't work either :/ Just saw that it does also discs.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
So the WRT54GS v5.1 and the DIR-300 are both running 13064 but only the wrt has the problem?
Steffko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, exactly.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll need to hard reset it and reconfigure from scratch because it was probably upgraded improperly. Upgrade instructions are in the announcements at the top of the forum.
Steffko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hiho, it's me again.

We basically tried everything. Hard reset, complete reconfiguration of the router, but it just won't work :/
Any more ideas how this problem could be solved?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check if your IP is changing when the lease renews.
Steffko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
It isn't changing.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only other explanation I can think of is that the modem isn't allowing a renew to occur and is instead forcing a release/discover to occur. Enable logging on the services page, wait for the lease to expire, and then run this via telnet and post the results.

cat /var/log/messages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: