[B2HP] Eth0 disappears from bridging table when applying ch

mrhighstone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 16:01    Post subject: [B2HP] Eth0 disappears from bridging table when applying ch Reply with quote
My Ubiquiti Bullet2HP with DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 13064 has a wired connection with a WebSTAR cable modem provided by the internet provider.

The scenario is to have the Bullet2HP providing the internet connection, as well as a wireless home network in the 10.0.0.x/255.0.0.0 range so the clients have a shared internet connection and can connect and share files, folders and printers.

I tried to setup this scenario but strange behaviour is happening. To make sure the steps are reproducable I started with a DD-WRT with factory defaults.

1. Connect to DD-WRT wireless on netbook, receiving IP 192.168.1.145/255.255.255.0, I'm able to connect to the DD-WRT management interface on 192.168.1.1 but there's no internet connection. Also, DD-WRT shows a blank (not 0.0.0.0) WAN IP.
2. Connect to DD-WRT wireless on laptop, receiving IP 82.176.97.153/255.255.248.0. This is where the first strange thing is happening: there is an inernet connection but I'm not able to connect to the management interface, as is obvious given the IP address, but where is this IP adress coming from?

I found out that to have a shared internet connection and network, eth0 and ath0 have to be bridged, right?

3. Navigating to Setup-Networking, in the Bridging section I verified that the Current Bridging Table shows Bridge Name: br0, STP enabled: no, Interfaces eth0 ath0.
4. In the Port Setup section below I noticed that WAN Port Assignment is Disabled, so I changed this to eth0 (the Bullet2HP has only one ethernet connection and this is wired to the WebSTAR cable modem).
5. After a few seconds, the Bullet2HP received a WAN IP 82.176.38.56/255.255.248.0
6. And after some more coffee, the notebook updated it's dhcp configuration showing 192.168.1.112/255.255.255.0.

Yiha! So far so good we're on the same network, we can share files and folders and even better, both have a working internet connection.
One problem though, since I started on the default DD-WRT configuration, it's unsecured. Let's secure it!

7. Navigating to Wireless-Basic Settings on Wireless Physical Interface ath0 the SSID is changed, and Saved
8. Navigating to Wireless-Wireless Security and on the Wireless Security ath0 the securitymode is changed to WPA2 Personal, TKIP and a shared key is entered, and Saved.
9. When applying the settings, the connection is dropped and using the new SSID and WPA key I connect both the notebook and the netbook. Both computers keep their dhcp configuration, but the internet connection is dropped...

This is where the second strange thing is happening, where did the internet connection go? I verified DD-WRT's settings and noticed the following:
a. The WAN IP in the upper right corner shows 0.0.0.0
b. Navigation to Setup-Networking in the Bridging Section eth0 has disappeared and the Current Bridging Table shows Bridge Name: br0, STP enabled: no, Interfaces ath0.
c. In the Port Setup section below, I noticed that Wan Port assignment still shows eth0, but the line showing Network Configuration eth0 with Default selected has disappeared as well!

Is this a know feature, a bug or am I simply missing something?

Edit:
I don't really think it is related to changing the wireless setup, after reproducing these steps and skipping 7,8,9 the same issue appears when after step 6 the Apply changes button (second time or on any other page) is clicked. The WAN IP get's lost, and the Current Bridging Table is reset.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
install the latest beta
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ahhh, so it is a bug Surprised Would it be that easy?
mrhighstone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was that easy. Sometimes life is easy Very Happy
jhoff80
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, I think I'm having the same issue on a RouterStation Pro w/ SR71A wireless card, even on r14929.

Applying changes causes the WAN to go to 0.0.0.0.

Is there a newer beta than the one I'm using that I'm somehow missing?
ksign
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe laptop, receiving IP 82.176.97.153 has PPPoE enabled
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: