Dialup connection sharing with 2 Linksys routers, WDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Gunn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 21:52    Post subject: Dialup connection sharing with 2 Linksys routers, WDS Reply with quote
Yes, I know, stop laughing. I live in a rural area and am currently stuck with dialup service. But the reason I am here is that is going to soon change. We tried to get satellite internet, but the installer could not get a signal from anywhere around our house due to trees.

That will soon change. I have a barn that is 300ft away from the house in a field with a clear view of the sky. I purchased two Linksys WRT54G v5 routers. I installed DD-WRT on one of them following the great instructions and messages on this forum, with no problem. I can now use a wired connection from either router to see computers on the other. I can also use a wireless connection from either router to see any of the others. My last task is to spread these routers out, one to the barn, one in the house and build some antennas to span the distance. I already have one cantenna made that I borrowed from a friend.

But in the meantime, I want to get my dial-up access working across these routers. Specifically, I have my linksys (untouched) router wired to my computer with a modem. I have another computer, also wired to this router I want to share the connection with. My internet connection has sharing enabled. But I cannot get to any websites from the 2nd wired computer. Nor can I get to it from a wireless connection. And I need to, as that 2nd computer runs BeyondTV and I need to get guide data updates in the interim. Any ideas?

I had shared dialup working before I purchased the Linksys routers with a single Netgear router. Currently I have nothing plugged into the WAN port of the router.
I know I'm missing something simple...

Man, I can't wait to go broadband...but thanks to DD-WRT, I'm almost there. Smile
Sponsor
jasit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 23:53    Post subject: simple solution Reply with quote
if your computer that is dial is xp, turn on internet sharing, it will setup the computer as 192.168.1.1 it will turn on a dhcp server.

So make sure that you have dhcp turned off on your dd-wrt routers
and make sure that you don't have a 192.168.1.1 already on your routers.

make sure that neither of your routers is in gateway mode

jasit

2 x wrt54gs v2.2 wds (v23 SP2 09/13/06)
2 X WBR2-G54S pptp server v23 SP2 (09/13/06)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: