whr-g54s & Comcast don't want to work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rDaneel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 15:23    Post subject: whr-g54s & Comcast don't want to work Reply with quote
I was having a problem with the network in my house, the internet connection would keep dropping, and I figured it was because my Linksys router couldn't handle the heavy volume of traffic my family generated.

I purchased the WHR-G54s after reading about it's modability. I sucessfully flashed the BIOS to dd-wrt, but I'm have some major issues. The router does not have any problems with the wireless clients or the LAN clients, but it will NOT hold a WAN connection to my ISP ( Comcast ). I have disabled the SPT ( ? ) option which is suggested in the router administration interface, but still the connection keeps dropping. I can maybe hold a connection for around 5 minutes, and then it will drop and I'll get nothing.

I swapped the WHR-G54s with my old Linksys and everything is working fine. I'm just sad that I paid for what is supposed to be a better router, and it doesn't work as advertised.

Are there any suggestions on what might be causing the problem? I recently upgraded the firmware to SP2, hoping that that would fix my problem, but the problem remains.

P.S.

One more question. Is there a way to use the Buffalo's Wireless to connect to the wireless on my Linksys router so that I don't have to run a wire to 'extend' my network?

Thanks for any and all help.

R. Daneel
Sponsor
Yasha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 17:12    Post subject: Re: whr-g54s & Comcast don't want to work Reply with quote
sounds far more likely that your modem and/or cable signal is the problem to me from what you describe. It is highly unlikely that 1, much less 2 routers would have dropping issues of this nature.

My suggestion would be to purchase a new cable modem from a place you can return it after having opened the box, activate it, and try it out for a day or so. If you still have the same issue, then return it and get comcast out there to check your signal strength.

rDaneel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, the initial problem was the cable modem; I misdiagnosed the issue and bought a new router instead. The new cable modem and old ( linksys ) router are now working fine together, but I want to use the Buffalo with dd-wrt, but the Buffalo keeps dropping the connection. During the 5 minutes that it does hold the connection, it is usually speedy, and I've recorded record high numbers from speakeasy.net's speedtest.

The linksys has been holding the connection for over a day now.

Question
Yasha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
rDaneel wrote:
the Buffalo keeps dropping the connection. During the 5 minutes that it does hold the connection, it is usually speedy, and I've recorded record high numbers from speakeasy.net's speedtest.

Do you know for sure what it's doing? Is it rebooting? Are you connected via wireless, or wired? Are you seeing the dd-wrt network screen and seeing that the WAN entry is blank? Did you follow the directions on how to flash that router? Reseting to defaults after flashing?

Worst case scenerio if it's not anything I suspect would be to flash it back to the buffalo firmware and run it for awhile(resetting to defaults again afterwards), and see what it does then. An unencrypted buffalo image is avaiable for your router in the downloads section here. If it's fine, then something was done wrong, or corrupted and the unit itself is fine.

Wott
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Assuming that your cable modem signal levels are all good, and you unplug the cable modem before connection the new router, you might try cloning the MAC address from the linksys router.

Navigation

Jump to: