WDS

semaj153
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:20    Post subject: WDS Reply with quote
I understand that setting up WDS will halve my bandwidth. Does it halve my theoretical bandwidth, or actual realized bandwidth?
Sponsor
semaj153
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply eibgrad. That was exactly what I was hoping you'd say.

I have 100 Mbps service and a N600 router. We only stream from external services, so will never fully utilize any faster speeds on the LAN.

I did want to upgrade to a newer AC router in hopes of getting some better whole house coverage though. The thought came to set up the old N600 as a WDS node though, but didn't know if that meant my 100 Mbps would be halved, or the theoretical 600 Mbps would be halved. If I understand you, the 600 Mbps limit would be reduced to 300 Mbps, but it would be a irrelevant as my bottleneck is still my 100 Mbps service from the IPS.

Also, is there any special considerations for setting up the WDS node? The only things I really saw was that you wanted to make sure you had the same chipset, though even those had issues sometimes.
semaj153
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. That is very helpful.

The only other option it looks like I can select is "Client Bridge" and that is not what I am describing above correct? I don't see repeater listed anymore on my current build.

When it comes to standards and proprietary technologies where do the following stand: Tri-band, MU-MIMO, beam forming, and smart connect?
Are these in DD-WRT builds for hardware that support these features? Does DD-WRT have it's own implementation of them?
semaj153
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad

Would you be able to help provide some insight to my additional questions?

Thank you.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
semaj153 wrote:
The only other option it looks like I can select is "Client Bridge" and that is not what I am describing above correct? I don't see repeater listed anymore on my current build.

Be helpful to us in helping you if we knew exactly what model & version router and what dd-wrt build you are using.

If an atheros/QCA/IPQ the 'Client' mode acts same as a broadcom router's 'Repeater' mode.
Not to be confused with 'Client Bridge (routed)'.

Client or Repeater mode basically makes the physical wireless interface the WAN. Then you create a VAP for other wireless devices to connect.
The quirk with atheros routers in 'Client' mode is you cannot connect to its VAP unless its physical wireless (the WAN) is connected .... thus making it difficult to use as a travel router where you would usually connect to the VAP and then connect the WAN side to whatever AP you wanted.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Btw, why does Atheros always seem to be the oddball? Every time there's some quirky wireless issue, 90% of the time you can bet it's Atheros.

They have some quirks but I believe QCA radios are superior to broadcom ...
...then again, I don't own a high-end (or dual core) broadcom router.
WDS is stable using same model, same dd-wrt build on multiple WNDR3700v4 or the two EA8500.
Got a LAN-LAN bridged ('bout 450~500 meters) WDS with two old WRT160NL (some of the first atheros with N speed)
that don't cause me any trouble ... umm well, I run r27506 on them to stay stable.
Too many little changes in dd-wrt over the years with newer builds caused some 3 second dropouts
so I quit fooling with any newer builds and just run what works on them.
semaj153
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I currently have a TPLINK TL-WDR3600 v1, which has
Atheros AR9344 ver 1 rev 1.2 (0x2122), running v3.0-r34411 std (01/07/1Cool.

To use another specific example. If I got something like the Netgear X6S or TPLINK C5400, both support: Tri-band, MU-MIMO, beam forming, and smart connect. Will I lose these technologies if I flash them with DD-WRT?
If so, it sounds like I should just save my money and get a cheaper router with a dual core CPU.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
semaj153 wrote:
I currently have a TPLINK TL-WDR3600 v1, which has
Atheros AR9344 ver 1 rev 1.2 (0x2122), running v3.0-r34411 std (01/07/1Cool.

To use another specific example. If I got something like the Netgear X6S or TPLINK C5400, both support: Tri-band, MU-MIMO, beam forming, and smart connect. Will I lose these technologies if I flash them with DD-WRT?
If so, it sounds like I should just save my money and get a cheaper router with a dual core CPU.

the Netgear r8000 is supported by dd-wrt....just barely Rolling Eyes
Seems lots folks have trouble with it.
You can check new build threads in broadcom forum.

TPLink C5400 ... don't think there is a dd-wrt build for that one????
edit: https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1079984
semaj153
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess my question is, in the big picture, are these technologies standard or proprietary?
I see that eibgrad states that DD-WRT can be limited to what each vendor provides/allows.
Therefore
1. Does DD-WRT support Tri-band, MU-MIMO, beam forming, and smart connect because they are wifi standards that are the same across all vendors?
2. Does DD-WRT not support Tri-band, MU-MIMO, beam forming, and smart connect because they are implemented differently by each vendors?
3. Does DD-WRT support Tri-band, MU-MIMO, beam forming, and smart connect in it's own way?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
semaj153 wrote:
I guess my question is, in the big picture, are these technologies standard or proprietary?
I see that eibgrad states that DD-WRT can be limited to what each vendor provides/allows.
Therefore
1. Does DD-WRT support Tri-band, MU-MIMO, beam forming, and smart connect because they are wifi standards that are the same across all vendors?
2. Does DD-WRT not support Tri-band, MU-MIMO, beam forming, and smart connect because they are implemented differently by each vendors?
3. Does DD-WRT support Tri-band, MU-MIMO, beam forming, and smart connect in it's own way?

MU-MIMO works perfectly fine on my EA8500 as well as turbo QAM
akaik it also works fine on the r7800

quick Google will likely answer most these things
semaj153
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your patience. I did try researching this myself first, but I couldn't find a clear definitive answer. I wanted to spend a little more to future proof myself, and I also wanted to stick with DD-WRT. I just didn't want to waste my money if I wouldn't be able to use the features I'm paying extra for. Thank you again.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
semaj153 wrote:
Thank you for your patience. I did try researching this myself first, but I couldn't find a clear definitive answer. I wanted to spend a little more to future proof myself, and I also wanted to stick with DD-WRT. I just didn't want to waste my money if I wouldn't be able to use the features I'm paying extra for. Thank you again.

The EA8500 is an excellent router but since Linksys started locking its firmware for North American made models it takes a bit more to first install dd-wrt onto it.
There is help for that >>> http://mrjcd.com/EA8500_DD-WRT

The Netgear r7800 is also a great router as well as r7500v2.

These router's mentioned are all QCA/IPQ and also supported by Kong builds .....

There are also good BRCM units but other people could tell you more there..... If I was to go to brcm for a main router it would probably be the r7000. Been around for a while now but seems a decent unit and r7000 is also supported by Tomato which would be a key point for me.

place to look for dd-wrt supported routers
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: