best router/bridge for lan party?

jonboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 19:33    Post subject: best router/bridge for lan party? Reply with quote
I'm hosting a lan party in a few weeks and I want to buy a new router for it.

I want to use the router as a bridge to provide Internet access for the attendees. I have a wireless router upstairs. The lan party will be downstairs. I'd like the attendees to plug their systems into the downstairs router, and get Internet access through the downstairs router to the upstairs router (wireless from router to router).

I'd like an 8 port router, as I'm not sure how many people are coming and I could need ports for 5 - 6 systems.

Will dd-wrt work for this? What's the best router to buy? Thanks =]
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
most of the info will be found here:
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most consumer routers only come with 5 ports, to get more you'll have to either connect multiple routers or add a switch.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

Also, my famous line, what are you wanting to spend on it? what features do you want in it? gigabit, USB, Dual N radios etc.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
jonboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info =]

Phuzi0n is definitely right about the number of ports. It seems the only routers that have 8 ports are expensive higher end routers with many other features that I don't need. So my plan is to get a consumer level router (that fully supports dd-wrt, of course) and an 8 port switch. Right now I'm leaning towards the BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134 and the D-Link DGS-2208 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127082 for the 8 port switch.

Speed is not a big issue. I just want to provide enough bandwidth for people to check their email and stuff. All actual gaming will be on the LAN.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not a bad choice, If you have alot of people though, i would still go with something with a faster CPU and gigabit ports, yes this will matter.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
jonboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT has been successfully installed and configured. I'm all ready for my LAN party =]

Thanks for the help. I can't believe how smooth the install and configuration went. I had literally zero problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: