Router Recommendation

got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 21:03    Post subject: Router Recommendation Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the router in my sig to a newer, faster router. Unfortunately everyone in my neighborhood loves wireless networking and I'm starting to have a lot of wireless interference problems with a bunch of routers sitting on or near any channel I'm on.

Currently the 5GHz spectrum is clear as far as I can tell so I'd like to be able to use that with 40MHz channel bonding.

I'd also love for the router to be DD-WRT friendly, of course.

A USB port would also be great so I can run optware.

Anyone have any recommendations? Right now I can get a pretty good deal on a Netgear WNDR3700 which by itself is apparently an excellent router but DD-WRT is so/so on it.

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
What all do you require within your network, like VLANs etc? If you require VLANs then you will want to stick with broadcom units.

Also another thing to keep in mind here, 5Ghz has no range, so don't expect it to replace any distanced links you may have with 2.4Ghz.

Example, if i go 2 rooms away, 5Ghz becomes unusable. Whereas 2.4Ghz covers pretty much my whole house.

On another side note, i have read alot of problems with the buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh, i got one of these for xmas and i haven't had any problems like what i have read about, mine is even supposed to be the 'troubled' version A0 D0, now granted, i've only had it running for a little more than 48Hrs, but still, no disconnects and no out of nowhere reboots which i have read so much about, so in a sense, don't believe the hype.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not using any VLAN setups right now (but it could be a possibility in the future).

I'm not interested much in the 5GHz range, I shouldn't be too far away where it would degrade that much.

I'm going to scope around a bit and see what others are saying but I think right now my options will be a Linksys WRT610N/E3000 or a Netgear WNDR3700.

Thanks!

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
grgz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
And from what i can see, you purchased a WNDR 3700. Give some feedback from dd-wrt firmware when you're ready.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes i would be interested to know as well, i been holding off from getting a 3700 myself because of the negative reviews with dd-wrt on it, but with this buffalo, i am seeing most of that probably has to do with the person not setting it up correctly.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
grgz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Yes i would be interested to know as well, i been holding off from getting a 3700 myself because of the negative reviews with dd-wrt on it, but with this buffalo, i am seeing most of that probably has to do with the person not setting it up correctly.

+1 Wink

Navigation

Jump to: