x386 on Core 2 Quad keeps rebooting after 5 seconds

H7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 23:03    Post subject: x386 on Core 2 Quad keeps rebooting after 5 seconds Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I have a spare Core 2 Quad Q6600 + 8GB RAM with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports that I'm trying to turn into a DD-WRT router.

I've copied the dd-wrt_full_smp_vga.image via physdiskwrite to a usb memory stick and booted the system using the memory stick.

The system booted and displayed a lot of text.. then the message "rebooting in 1 second.." & then sure enough it reboots.

Am I missing something here? I've read the wiki page, and the procedure seemed straight forward, but somehow it seems I'm missing something that is causing the system to keep rebooting.

appreciate your help.

kindest regards
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
unless your bios is able to run a hdd emulation on your usb stick, it will not work on it. dd-wrt can only boot from cf disks and standard ide, ata or scsi drives

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
unless your bios is able to run a hdd emulation on your usb stick, it will not work on it. dd-wrt can only boot from cf disks and standard ide, ata or scsi drives

I get the same message as the OP and Im booting from hard drive. any help would be appreciated.
h4x0r
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 19:42    Post subject: Re: x386 on Core 2 Quad keeps rebooting after 5 seconds Reply with quote
H7 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a spare Core 2 Quad Q6600 + 8GB RAM with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports that I'm trying to turn into a DD-WRT router.

I've copied the dd-wrt_full_smp_vga.image via physdiskwrite to a usb memory stick and booted the system using the memory stick.

The system booted and displayed a lot of text.. then the message "rebooting in 1 second.." & then sure enough it reboots.

Am I missing something here? I've read the wiki page, and the procedure seemed straight forward, but somehow it seems I'm missing something that is causing the system to keep rebooting.

appreciate your help.

kindest regards
[u]

WTF are you gonna do with that router? A quad core router makes sense in a google data center not for home use. You will use maybe 1% of that CPUs capacity. And I believe that dd-wrt is 32 bit, not 64 bit, so it can't even use 8 GB of RAM.

Now if you dont need that q6600 and that RAM, I will galdly trade that for a fully operational WRT54G v6 flashed with dd-wrt and ready to go. If you need something more powerful, I can get you an E3000 flashed with dd-wrt for that CPU and RAM, and I can put it to better use that routing!
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
carterhayes wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:

I get the same message as the OP and Im booting from hard drive. any help would be appreciated.

read how to post:

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Navigation

Jump to: