18007, what happened to auto ACK timing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
backwoodsman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 22:09    Post subject: 18007, what happened to auto ACK timing? Reply with quote
Just put 18007 on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N, and it seems auto ACK timing is broken. With ACK timing set to 0, it reports ACK timing of 0 on the Status / Wireless page. Is this a bug, or was auto ACK timing dropped for some reason? It worked with 14929.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
do u konw what ack is? so why use something like f***ing auto ack?!
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
First: If I had to guess, I'd say you probably know the answer to my question. But you chose to (a) not answer, and (b) be a jerk. I know it only took 15 seconds, but don't you have something better to do with your time?

Second: Your questions are irrelevant to my question, but I'll answer them anyway:
1. Yes.
2. Because it WORKS, and makes life a little easier.

So... Does anyone ELSE know what the problem is with auto ACK timing? And while I'm here, does anyone know what's the latest build where it works, or should I just stay with 14929?
reverson1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is it supposed to say?
backwoodsman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
reverson1 wrote:
What is it supposed to say?

Setting ACK timing to 0 should put the router in auto ACK timing mode. It should start at a very high number, and slowly reduce it until, after a few minutes, it settles at a number a little above the distance to the farthest connected device. This works in 14929, but not in 18007 or 18024.

Before reflashing to 14929, I noticed that setting it anywhere but 0 gets different, but incorrect, results. For example, when I set 1, it put ACK timing at 450.
GB49
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Before reflashing to 14929, I noticed that setting it anywhere but 0 gets different, but incorrect, results. For example, when I set 1, it put ACK timing at 450.[/quote]

I've seen that behavior reported in other threads. I can't recall for sure but it may be a bug.
I have my ack set to double the longest distance that anyone should be using a laptop but I have a fairly small area that requires wireless. I'm using version 17201 on a Linksys E2100L.

Maybe you could try a later version if one is available for your router?

PS. Don't sweat Sosh's comment. He's probably very good at what he does but has no patients when someone does not supply copious amounts of detailed, logical information. Typical of an engineer mindset.

-GB
Aveyer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I asked this in one of the recent build threads too but never got a response. In pre-ath9k builds it shows the ACK value when it's in auto mode, with ath9k it stays at 0. I haven't experienced any problems with it though, it may just be a reporting error.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
GB49 wrote:
Maybe you could try a later version if one is available for your router?

Latest I could find is 18024, which I tried, with the same result. Went back to 14929, which works well on my other Atheros routers, and so far is good on this one as well. I'll stay with that until there's a good reason to change.

Aveyer wrote:
In pre-ath9k builds it shows the ACK value when it's in auto mode, with ath9k it stays at 0.

So it's actually working, but reporting incorrectly? Have you done any long-range tests to confirm that it's working? I may do some tests on it sometime, but don't have time now; besides, 14929 works fine.
Aveyer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't really done any tests, I'm always within short range of it but never had any problems at least, up to devs to explain (Brainslayer).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: