DD-WRT vs. Tomato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Author Message
chetstone
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:31    Post subject: DD-WRT vs. Tomato Reply with quote
We are a small WISP startup about to go online in a few weeks. We will be providing our customers with a wireless router, probably a mass-market model that is available refurbished for low cost. (We've tentatively chosen the Linksys WRT-160n.) We want to use custom firmware both for security, so we can lock the routers down so people can't use the master reset switch, and for enhanced QoS. We will be reselling VOIP and we want people to have clear phone calls so QoS is important.

We've tested both Tomato and DD-WRT and are having a little trouble deciding. The main criteria are QoS performance and future viability of the platform. We don't want to have to change firmware a few years down the road when we decide to change routers.

We have the following concerns about DD-WRT:

1. Community development process. How feasible is it for a community member to pull source code, fix a bug or add a feature, and then have their fix integrated in the main trunk of the application so all versions can share it? This appears to me to be very broken, as evidenced by the fact that the most recent recommended version is two and a half years old! (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043). Can we expect dd-wrt to keep up with newer routers?

Another red flag is the numerous assertions in the forums (and even the Wiki) that the router database is broken. Most newcomers would go right to the database to assumedly find the right version for their router. So if it's broken, why doesn't it get fixed or at least taken offline?

2. Usefulness of QoS. Tomato has much more sophisticated support for QoS, especially recent builds. But even for simple use, I've seen a number of allegations that DD-WRT QoS simply doesn't work. Is this simply a matter of people not getting the settings right or does it really not work?

Thanks for any clarifications you can offer.
Sponsor
jumran
DD-WRT User


Joined: 31 Jul 2009
Posts: 492
Location: Toronto, ON, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:25    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT vs. Tomato Reply with quote
chetstone wrote:
We are a small WISP startup about to go online in a few weeks. We will be providing our customers with a wireless router, probably a mass-market model that is available refurbished for low cost. (We've tentatively chosen the Linksys WRT-160n.) We want to use custom firmware both for security, so we can lock the routers down so people can't use the master reset switch, and for enhanced QoS. We will be reselling VOIP and we want people to have clear phone calls so QoS is important.

We've tested both Tomato and DD-WRT and are having a little trouble deciding. The main criteria are QoS performance and future viability of the platform. We don't want to have to change firmware a few years down the road when we decide to change routers.

We have the following concerns about DD-WRT:

1. Community development process. How feasible is it for a community member to pull source code, fix a bug or add a feature, and then have their fix integrated in the main trunk of the application so all versions can share it? This appears to me to be very broken, as evidenced by the fact that the most recent recommended version is two and a half years old! (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043). Can we expect dd-wrt to keep up with newer routers?

Another red flag is the numerous assertions in the forums (and even the Wiki) that the router database is broken. Most newcomers would go right to the database to assumedly find the right version for their router. So if it's broken, why doesn't it get fixed or at least taken offline?

2. Usefulness of QoS. Tomato has much more sophisticated support for QoS, especially recent builds. But even for simple use, I've seen a number of allegations that DD-WRT QoS simply doesn't work. Is this simply a matter of people not getting the settings right or does it really not work?

Thanks for any clarifications you can offer.


DD-Wrt is no longer community driven as it once was and bug fixes and obvious enhancements brought to developers attention takes a long time to implement if at all. If you find a obvious bug and point it out to the devs, depending on the dev that sees the bug report, they will either acknowledge it, fix it or completely ignore it.

As for QoS, it is very hit and miss and broken is most builds. Tomato QoS is also has more features and better statistics tracking.

The downfall of Tomato is it does not have all the advanced features as DD-WRT and not all newer routers are supported.

_________________
Asus RT-N16 [Build King Kong 18050M NEWD-2 K2.6 + Optware + My Page] Mr. Green
Pjotr12345
DD-WRT User


Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't quite agree with jumran: DD-WRT is fine firmware, provided you pick the right build.

But in this point I do agree: for QoS you definitely want Tomato (or it's successors Tomato USB and Tomato RAF).

Information about Tomato, Tomato USB and Tomato RAF: http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/tomato

Good luck with your business! Smile

_________________
Easy how-to for installing DD-WRT: http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/dd-wrt
Simple how-to for Tomato: http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/tomato
My routers:
1. Linksys WRT160NL on DD-WRT build 14929
2. TP-Link TL-WR740N v4 on DD-WRT build 19342
3. Linksys WRT54GL on Tomato (for QoS)
4. Linksys WRT160N v3 on Tomato RAF
5. 2 x Linksys E2000 on Tomato RAF
Sash
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 17338
Location: Hesse/Germany

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
regarding qos:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/18028
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/18027

_________________
Forum Guidelines...How to get help
&
Forum Rules
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation
_________________
I'm NOT rude, just offer pure facts!
_________________
Atheros (TP-Link & Clones, etc ) debrick service in EU
_________________
Guide on HowTo be Safe, Secure and Protect Your Online Anonymity!
_________________
Andreas Baumert: "Kundige Menschen befragen Fachleute, ohne ihnen auf die Nerven zu gehen. Sie stellen keine Fragen, die sie mit etwas Fleiß und Lektüre selber beantworten können. Sie wissen, auf welche Quellen es ankommt,und wie man sich Zugang zu ihnen verschafft."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 12736
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
regarding qos:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/18028
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/18027

changes don't do anyone any good unless you guys compile & post the builds

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
mac913
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 691
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Sash wrote:
regarding qos:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/18028
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/18027

changes don't do anyone any good unless you guys compile & post the builds


I tested Kong's Build 18050 and VLAN was broken. The GUI VLAN would not have Internet Access with build 18050. Using Kong's Build 18010 has worling VLAN with broken QoS. VLAN is more important to me but it would nice if both working on one build on the 18XXX series.

_________________
Wired GigaBit Backbone
Linksys E3000 K2.6 KONG-VPN 22200 Gateway
Linksys E2000 (OC 500Mhz) K2.6 KONG-VPN 21661 VPN-Gateway
Linksys E2000 (OC 500Mhz) K2.6 KONG-VPN 20575 NG-Mixed AP + VAPs
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum