Per IP (or MAC) Bandwidth Limit (Clarification Needed)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Seanny
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 23:32    Post subject: Per IP (or MAC) Bandwidth Limit (Clarification Needed) Reply with quote
I want to install an egalitarian QoS system on my Engenius 2611p radio that is running the paid version DD-WRT. Basically, every user gets an allotted maximum 250kb/s each. To re-iterate, each IP or MAC address get a maximum of 250kb/s for their means, there is NOT 250kb/s total available.

I've done some research (I've read wikis and forum posts) and what I've been able to determine is that I will need to use IP tables and the tc command. What I would like to know is for a /24 subnet, do I need to make 254 ip table entries (like this forum entry seemed to be doing http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43730&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) or is there an easier way?

I realize this is a frequently asked question, but I couldn't find a definitive answer after hours of searching. this may be because of fatigue, so I apologize in advance if the answer is stupid obvious.
Sponsor
Markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use the latest builds an configure the 250kb/s as default bandwidth level.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use r18777 & do what he said, if you want a certain machine to bypass the default limit for no limit or a higher limit then enter it's IP in as you would otherwise. Entered IPs override default limits for entered IPs only. 0 = no limit.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Seanny
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 18:02    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote
Thanks guys. I was apparently suffering from tunnel vision. I appreciate your quick and concise replies.
Seanny
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry everyone. I just remembered why that didn't work for me and it has to do with the fact that I hadn't correctly defined the problem. If you would prefer I could start a new thread.

Regardless, here is my actual problem.

I have two WLAN interfaces each with a /24 address pool that they allocate with DHCP. I want one interface to have a bandwidth limit and the other subnet to have a less severe one (or none at all) since they authenticate with RADIUS.

I posted this problem on a Linux forum (because the internals of DD-WRT are BusyBox, which is a Linux distribution) and a user suggest I use tcng. That seemed rather difficult to learn.

The alternative I came up with was that I could program a script that would dynamically create IPtable rules by periodically checking DHCP leases.

Is this incredibly inefficiency? I know I would need to use Cron, but do you which folders I would need to check to see what addresses were active? Alternatively, would it just be a better idea to create 508 iptable rules? How much would either of these options slow down the system?

Thank you for your feedback,
Seanny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: