Asus RT-N10p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
WiredMan wrote:
I set up a VPN and noticed that the issues came back so I decided to give up and buy something else. That's when I came across a highly-regarded customer review for another router which mentions a similar situation and it hit me that it was probably the same problem. Tried it out and speeds have never been better on this router.

Simply go to Wireless / Advanced Settings, set WMM Support to Disable, click Apply Settings, wait for it to finish, and reboot the router for good measure. Please let me know if this works for anyone else too.

Interesting. According to this DD-WRT Help page, here's what "WMM Support" controls:

Quote:
WMM Support
Enable support of Wi-Fi Multimedia feature. Configuring QoS options consists of setting parameters on existing queues for different types of wireless traffic. You can configure different minimum and maximum wait times for the transmission of packets in each queue based on the requirements of the media being sent. Queues automatically provide minimum transmission delay for Voice, Video, multimedia, and mission critical applications, and rely on best-effort parameters for traditional IP data.

So that parameter also has to do w/ QoS (similar to my finding).

WiredMan wrote:
Now, what's the best way to determine future updates for this or any other router? What I normally do is http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database but this router is not even there and some like the E2000 list the latest version from 2013 which seems unlikely. Thanks.

For this router:
  • Go to the DD-WRT Beta Downloads URL:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=betas%2F

• Click on the firmware YEAR you want to grab (typically the most current year)

• Click on the firmware VERSION you want to grab (typically the most current version)

• Navigate to the broadcom_K26 folder (this is subject to change in the future)

• Download any firmware "type" you deem appropriate (i.e. big, mega, mini, voip, etc.)
    Note: I don't recommend any of the nv60K or nv64K variants.
Sponsor
WiredMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
DocLexus wrote:
Interesting. According to this DD-WRT Help page, here's what "WMM Support" controls:

So that parameter also has to do w/ QoS (similar to my finding).

For this router:
  • Go to the DD-WRT Beta Downloads URL:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=betas%2F

• Click on the firmware YEAR you want to grab (typically the most current year)

• Click on the firmware VERSION you want to grab (typically the most current version)

• Navigate to the broadcom_K26 folder (this is subject to change in the future)

• Download any firmware "type" you deem appropriate (i.e. big, mega, mini, voip, etc.)
    Note: I don't recommend any of the nv60K or nv64K variants.

I also did notice that it was related to QOS when I started reading about WMM. The interesting part is that it doesn't seem to be specific to DD-WRT as the same solution has worked on stock firmware for me.

Thank you for the upgrade instructions. Why don't you recommend nv64k or nv60k binaries?
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
WiredMan wrote:
Thank you for the upgrade instructions. Why don't you recommend nv64k or nv60k binaries?

I believe that I've only ever successfully loaded nv32K variants onto the RT-N10P's I've switched over to DD-WRT. However, since I've previously written that the RT-N10P is one of the most UNBRICKABLE routers, there should be little risk in attempting to load an nv64k or nv60k variant. If it works, great. If not, revert back to nv32k.

I've also previously written that even when loading (at least one) nv32k firmware version, the web GUI nonetheless reports 64K of nvram (see step 'b' near the bottom of this post). I've since read elsewhere that this may be an error in the web GUI. There's apparently a command you can run from the command-line to report the actual nvram size, but I don't recall off the top of my head what that command is. (I also don't recall ever manually running that command on the RT-N10P to determine whether or not the web GUI is reporting an accurate nvram size).

EDIT: To determine nvram size, invoke:
nvram show >/dev/null

Then add up the current size bytes plus the number of bytes left. The total is the actual nvram size.

I performed the above now on an RT-N10P, where my two values added up to 32768 bytes, which is exactly 32K (1K = 1024 bytes).
dechronic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
This was tested with an ASUS RT-N10P and an ASUS RT-N12 D1.
Consider this a shorter way and a summary.
NOTE: TO RECOVER FOR ANY REASON USE STEPS #1 - #11

Firmware used: dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin. (No need to use mini)

01. Connect to LAN 1, 2 or 3 and set your computer's NIC IP Address to anything from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254
02. Power down the router. (power button or power adapter cable)
03. Hold the reset button and power on the router without letting go of the reset button
04. Hold the reset button until the Power light turns off (it blinks very slowly) but the LAN light is still on.
05. The router is now in recovery mode
06. Open 192.168.1.1 in your browser
07. Upload the firmware of your choice and wait for a few minutes until it automatically reboots (ALL LAN LIGHTS FLASH)
08. Power down the router
09. Hold the WPS button while powering up until all the LAN lights flash on and then off. (should take about 2-3 seconds)
10. Power down and power up the router.
11. It may reboot once and then the dd-wrt firmware will be accessible at 192.168.1.1
(Set your computer back to automatically obtain an IP address from the DHCP server)

TO SWITCH THE WAN & LAN 4 PORTS
12. Open a telnet connection to the router:
telnet 192.168.1.1
username: root
password: admin (or the new password you may have set)

13. Type the following then hit the Enter key after each line.

nvram set vlan0ports="0 1 2 3 5*"
nvram set vlan1ports="4 5"
nvram commit
reboot

NOTE as stated by 80sguitartist in another thread: Restoring the router to factory defaults, running "erase nvram" from telnet/SSH and resetting the router will revert the changes made to switch the LAN 4/WAN ports.

Restoring from a backup or running the commands above again will make it work again.

14. ALL DONE!

P.S. If you changed your router's IP Address and you restart from step 1 you will need to access the firmware upload page using the new IP address of the router and respective IP range for your computer's IP Address.
e.g. Router: 192.168.3.1
PC: 192.168.3.2 - 192.168.3.254

At Step 11, the router will again be accessible from 192.168.1.1
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Sounds like the following known issue w/ Comcast and wifi also affects this router:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Comcast_download_speed_fix_for_Linksys_eSeries

Just wondering is that represents a better long term fix then enabling QoS.

WiredMan posted an alternate solution of disabling WMM, but if WMM is wanted/needed, the "Comcast fix" described in the link quoted above may be the best solution yet (assuming it works).
littlejon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
This worked perfect on the RT-N10P. Simple, concise, and to the point. Thanks dechronic.

I used the latest beta 'mega' firmware(26446)instead of 26138. [See DocLexus' post above on how to get the beta firmwares for this router].

dechronic wrote:
This was tested with an ASUS RT-N10P and an ASUS RT-N12 D1.
Consider this a shorter way and a summary.
NOTE: TO RECOVER FOR ANY REASON USE STEPS #1 - #11

Firmware used: dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin. (No need to use mini)

01. Connect to LAN 1, 2 or 3 and set your computer's NIC IP Address to anything from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254
02. Power down the router. (power button or power adapter cable)
03. Hold the reset button and power on the router without letting go of the reset button
04. Hold the reset button until the Power light turns off (it blinks very slowly) but the LAN light is still on.
05. The router is now in recovery mode
06. Open 192.168.1.1 in your browser
07. Upload the firmware of your choice and wait for a few minutes until it automatically reboots (ALL LAN LIGHTS FLASH)
08. Power down the router
09. Hold the WPS button while powering up until all the LAN lights flash on and then off. (should take about 2-3 seconds)
10. Power down and power up the router.
11. It may reboot once and then the dd-wrt firmware will be accessible at 192.168.1.1
(Set your computer back to automatically obtain an IP address from the DHCP server)

TO SWITCH THE WAN & LAN 4 PORTS
12. Open a telnet connection to the router:
telnet 192.168.1.1
username: root
password: admin (or the new password you may have set)

13. Type the following then hit the Enter key after each line.

nvram set vlan0ports="0 1 2 3 5*"
nvram set vlan1ports="4 5"
nvram commit
reboot

NOTE as stated by 80sguitartist in another thread: Restoring the router to factory defaults, running "erase nvram" from telnet/SSH and resetting the router will revert the changes made to switch the LAN 4/WAN ports.

Restoring from a backup or running the commands above again will make it work again.

14. ALL DONE!

P.S. If you changed your router's IP Address and you restart from step 1 you will need to access the firmware upload page using the new IP address of the router and respective IP range for your computer's IP Address.
e.g. Router: 192.168.3.1
PC: 192.168.3.2 - 192.168.3.254

At Step 11, the router will again be accessible from 192.168.1.1
jeffrobins
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I followed the instructions here to great success, but I have a couple of questions. I am using mega rev 26446.

1) Has anyone gotten a guest wireless working (multiple BSSIDs)?
- I've gone through 3 different tutorials, but none of them seem to work. All of my devices only see the primary BSSID. The DD-WRT screens show the two BSSIDs, each with a unique MAC address. I had two BSSIDs working with the stock firmware.

2) Has anyone seen any issues with the WAN and DHCP renewal?
- I had placed in the code to set the DSCP to 0 in the router, but this seemed to cause DHCP issues. The router would release ther DHCP lease, but would not renew one without a reset or resetting the WAN connection type to auto/DHCP each time.
- I also saw an issue last night where the internet seemed to drop out for about 3 sec, but it wasn't time to renew the DHCP. Unfortunately, I don't know if the DSCP code was in place at that time. I saw some code for this in the forums, but I wanted to know if anyone else has seen the problem before a add it to my router.

Thank you,

Jeff
virusvoronezh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys, I need help, bought 70 pieces Asus RT-N10P, that there was a firmware used OpenVPN http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

And they came, only the second version of Asus RT-N10P v2 ... There memory half, was originally 8MB now 4 ((

Can anyone help me?
BurtJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
virusvoronezh wrote:
Guys, I need help, bought 70 pieces Asus RT-N10P, that there was a firmware used OpenVPN http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

And they came, only the second version of Asus RT-N10P v2 ... There memory half, was originally 8MB now 4 ((

Can anyone help me?

There is openvpn(small version) firmware for 4MB device that you can try it.

But I do not test it since I don't have N10v2,so I am not sure it worked or not.

Anyway you have to know how to unbrick the router before you try anything.

eko(2014/12):
dd-wrt.v24-25697_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin

Latest Beta(2015/03/19):
dd-wrt.v24-26490_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin
coolVariable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I seem to have hardware version A1
This one has 8MB?
Does it take Mega (with Asterisk included)? Where do I find that version for this router?
BurtJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
coolVariable wrote:
I seem to have hardware version A1
This one has 8MB?
Does it take Mega (with Asterisk included)? Where do I find that version for this router?

According to https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-N10P
A1 has 8MB flash so you can try Mega on it.

Mega dose not with Asterisk,and seems only USB capable router can use it:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asterisk

And RT-N10 does not have USB.

Here you can find what is included in all versions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT
WiredMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
DocLexus wrote:
WiredMan posted an alternate solution of disabling WMM, but if WMM is wanted/needed, the "Comcast fix" described in the link quoted above may be the best solution yet (assuming it works).

Thanks DocLexus and thanks eibgrad for the link. As explained at SmallNetBuilder, the side effect of disabling WMM may be being limited to 54Mbps but for many this does not make a difference if their internet is slower than that anyways. In my experience, concurrent YouTube/Netflix streams on multiple devices work well at this speed.

Shagger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have two of these routers and have successfully loaded dd-wrt on one (thanks to the great instructions!), altered the LAN/WAN ports and am now using it as an AP by disabling the DHCP server and assigning a static IP address of 192.168.1.2. I can see it just fine in the home network now so I think that it's good to go. The problem I have is that I am trying to configure the 2nd router to use a static IP of 192.168.1.3 and for the life of me I cannot connect to it after set the static IP and disabling the DHCP server. What am I missing?
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shagger wrote:
I have two of these routers and have successfully loaded dd-wrt on one (thanks to the great instructions!), altered the LAN/WAN ports and am now using it as an AP by disabling the DHCP server and assigning a static IP address of 192.168.1.2. I can see it just fine in the home network now so I think that it's good to go. The problem I have is that I am trying to configure the 2nd router to use a static IP of 192.168.1.3 and for the life of me I cannot connect to it after set the static IP and disabling the DHCP server. What am I missing?
So you assigned the 1st RT-N10P as 192.168.1.2 (to use as an AP) and now you want to assign the 2nd RT-N10P as 192.168.1.3 (also to use as an AP)?

If so, what is supplying IP address 192.168.1.1 (presumably the main gateway)?

How are you physically connecting the two routers to your network? Are both being directly connected to the main GATEWAY? Is one RT-N10P being connected to the other in serial?

Since they're both being used in AP mode, did you assign the WAN PORT of each RT-N10P to be part of the LAN?
Shagger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
DocLexus wrote:
Shagger wrote:
So you assigned the 1st RT-N10P as 192.168.1.2 (to use as an AP) and now you want to assign the 2nd RT-N10P as 192.168.1.3 (also to use as an AP)?

If so, what is supplying IP address 192.168.1.1 (presumably the main gateway)?

How are you physically connecting the two routers to your network? Are both being directly connected to the main GATEWAY? Is one RT-N10P being connected to the other in serial?

Since they're both being used in AP mode, did you assign the WAN PORT of each RT-N10P to be part of the LAN?

I have a D-LINK DIR-832 as the main router off of the modem. I assigned the first RT-N10P to use IP address 192.168.1.2 and the second to use 192.168.1.3 as it's IP address. I attached the cables to the Lan port #2 on one and LAN port #3 on the other to the main D-LINK router. I did NOT daisy chain them together. I also turned off the DHCP services on both so only the D-LINK router was serving up IP Addresses. I did not however assign a static IP on the D-LINK router. I did not assign the WAN port to be part of the LAN.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: