Bandwidth Monitoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Brutus59
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 17:35    Post subject: Bandwidth Monitoring Reply with quote
Hello All,

New to DD-WRT as well as this forum. A real newb with dd-wrt. I recently installed it on my WRT54G V3.0 works great. Firmware is V24 sp2 08/10/12 mini. build 14929.

I tried searching the forums for a solution to my issue but came up empty. Problem is I need to be able to change the starting and ending dates of the bandwidth monitor. Don't know if its possible to change the dates, if yes how? If not, do any of the newest builds for this model allow the dates to be changed, if so which build? Date changes meaning starting and ending say on the 10th of each month instead of on the first and last day of each month.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsor
Kasper-pa-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried YAMON 2?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259806&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

HTH

Kasp
Mizehra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indeed, yamon 2 should be everything that you need, to include per-device usage monitoring, so you can see what is using the most data on your network.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259806
Brutus59
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:16    Post subject: YAMon 2 Reply with quote
Thanks for the help and the links to the software.

Unfortunately, the installation instructions for YAMon are not very clear, (not to me anyways, perhaps to one more computer savvy then I am they are perfectly clear!) I honestly have no idea how to execute some of the scripts/instructions in the installation text.

Until I can figure out how to do that, I'll have to live with the limitations of the DD-WRT monitor.
Kasper-pa-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Detailed instructions here on this post:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=954980#954980

and the actual "manual" here:
https://www.mediafire.com/?b488czq0xg242cg

Also, al_C is very quick to respond to questions if you ahve any issues, post it in his YAMON2 thread.

HTH

Kasp
Brutus59
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:01    Post subject: Putty Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, and the links. It looks like I need Putty to make some of these changes, before installing.

I installed Putty (on Windows 7/64) and tried connecting to the router. I enabled SSH in the router then connected via Putty.

Problem is it accepts the u/n "root" but refuses to accept the p/w which I believe is "alpine". I'm sure I entered it correctly, and tried it quite a few times, still refuses to accept it, just replies "access denied".

Any idea what the problem is, or how to fix it?

Thanks
Brutus
Brutus59
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 17:35    Post subject: Putty Reply with quote
Hello Again,

I managed to figure out the p/w log in issue with Putty, so I can get into the system, not that it helps much, since I have no idea what to put in or how to use properly.

Unfortunately the installation instructions tell you what you need to do, but for us newbies, there are no instructions on how to go about making those changes.

For example under basic installation instructions it says:

1. Copy the contents of the Setup folder to your router (in my case, `/opt/YAMon2/Setup`)

2. Review the parameters in `default config.file` to make sure that they're consistent with your setup... in particular, make sure that the value of `_ispBillingDay` is equal to the date on which your ISP resets your monthly totals. If you do not have an ISP, set this value to 1 (or any other number between 1 & 31).

Make any necessary changes and then save the file as `config.file`

3. Make sure that `yamon2.sh`, `yamon.startup`, and `yamon.shutdown` all have execute permissions

4. [optional] If you've been running YAMon v1 (and have several months of accumulated data), the `convert.sh` script will convert your hourly and monthly data files from the v1 format to the v2 format. The h2m.sh script will (re)generate your v2 monthly usage files from the v2 hourly usage files.

I have no idea how to execute these commands, or how to copy the files, or edit the config file (no option to open it with notepad so I assume a different program is needed to edit it?)

I also have no USB port on the router and trying to figure out how to use an internal hard drive to save the usage data to, but not much info on how to do that. Perhaps there is, but most likely not too easy to do either, for a total newbie, anyways.

Thanks in advance for the help, and the feedback.

Brutus
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 14:30    Post subject: Re: Putty Reply with quote
Brutus59 wrote:
Hello Again,

I managed to figure out the p/w log in issue with Putty, so I can get into the system, not that it helps much, since I have no idea what to put in or how to use properly.

Unfortunately the installation instructions tell you what you need to do, but for us newbies, there are no instructions on how to go about making those changes.

For example under basic installation instructions it says:

1. Copy the contents of the Setup folder to your router (in my case, `/opt/YAMon2/Setup`)

2. Review the parameters in `default config.file` to make sure that they're consistent with your setup... in particular, make sure that the value of `_ispBillingDay` is equal to the date on which your ISP resets your monthly totals. If you do not have an ISP, set this value to 1 (or any other number between 1 & 31).

Make any necessary changes and then save the file as `config.file`

3. Make sure that `yamon2.sh`, `yamon.startup`, and `yamon.shutdown` all have execute permissions

4. [optional] If you've been running YAMon v1 (and have several months of accumulated data), the `convert.sh` script will convert your hourly and monthly data files from the v1 format to the v2 format. The h2m.sh script will (re)generate your v2 monthly usage files from the v2 hourly usage files.

I have no idea how to execute these commands, or how to copy the files, or edit the config file (no option to open it with notepad so I assume a different program is needed to edit it?)

I also have no USB port on the router and trying to figure out how to use an internal hard drive to save the usage data to, but not much info on how to do that. Perhaps there is, but most likely not too easy to do either, for a total newbie, anyways.

Thanks in advance for the help, and the feedback.

Brutus

Brutus - I just stumbled across this message... did you get things up and running?

To copy the files and set permissions, I suggested that you use WinSCP (https://winscp.net/eng/index.php)

WinSCP allows you to upload/download files via drag`ndrop rather than archane PuTTY command line instructions - e.g., assuming you already have an /opt directory on your USB drive, in WinSCP, you can right-click, you can create a new directory (e.g., /YAMon2).

In the left had pane, you can navigate to the directory where you've downloaded and expanded the YAMon zip file and then drag or right-click upload the files to /YAMon2.

Back in the left pane, find yamon2.sh, right-click and choose Permissions... you'll see get a dialog that summarizes the read (R), write (W) and execute (X) permissions... enable the `X` options.

Yes, it is easiest to set things up if you have an on-board USB drive but it is possible to configure YAMon to store it's data to any network accessible storage (NAS) location... The confusing/difficult part is configuring those options in the DD-WRT GUI (and TBH, I've not actually set up the NAS because I've always had a router with at least one USB port). Once NAS is setup, then it is a relatively simple matter to change a couple of paths in the YAMon config.file and yamon.startup/shutdown files.

I hope this helps

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: